Fraud Alert!

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Wow, 30 minutes, that is a record.
When they call me, I always say I'm glad you called. I'm in the middle of cooking Mom's tomato sauce. Hold on for a second and I just need to stir it. I come back and ask them if they think it needs more salt. I debate with them, yes or no. I tell them to hold on for a sec while I add salt. My record so far is only three times. Clearly, I need to try harder.
I got to 15 minutes once. It was one of the "tech support" calls where they would eventually ask me to let them into my computer. It took 15 minutes before he became frustrated with me not being able to type things correctly.

Last edited by Bill14564; 12-09-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-09-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oraleejn View Post
I just got a new FRADULENT phone call. The call started out by thanking me for my Amazon purchase of $399.?? Since we have Prime and often order from them, I was not surprised, but the amount was more than I membered spending. I panicked! The call went on to say that if we had not made the charge, I should press “1”. Why would they offer that to EVERYONE? I called Amazon & they said they would never call me. The charge was also NOT on my account
BEWARE of all phone calls, especially during the Holiday season! DO NOT give them any Information!:
We recently saw this on the news in Tampa that this was one of the new scams coming out for the Holidays, thank you for posting it since we too use Amazon a lot (especially during the holidays) and my husband and I are not always aware of each others purchases.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I don’t get weird calls on my cell. They go right to spam, unless in my contacts. Land line is the same, if number isn’t in my list, I don’t get the call
The problem is that there are a lot of important phone calls ... like from your doctors' staffs using numbers that aren't on your contacts. Set your answering machine to ask them to leave a brief msg and that you will call them back. Spammers don't do that often.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprentice View Post
The problem is that there are a lot of important phone calls ... like from your doctors' staffs using numbers that aren't on your contacts. Set your answering machine to ask them to leave a brief msg and that you will call them back. Spammers don't do that often.
True, but sometimes important calls come in at the end of the day. So, you call back and the office is closed. Or, if you call a doctor's office back, what are the chances that you will actually get to talk to someone? I always answer my calls. For me, it's just easier that way.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Wow, 30 minutes, that is a record.
When they call me, I always say I'm glad you called. I'm in the middle of cooking Mom's tomato sauce. Hold on for a second and I just need to stir it. I come back and ask them if they think it needs more salt. I debate with them, yes or no. I tell them to hold on for a sec while I add salt. My record so far is only three times. Clearly, I need to try harder.
I actually got a scam caller convinced that I was driving to Walmart to purchase money transfer as instructed. Kept them on the phone the whole time (as I remained sitting in my house) and after about a half hour finally asked them if they really thought I was that stupid.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Both the Amazon name and also Apple are being used this year for scams....... If you "actually " get a live person on the line, use a referee's whistle and blow it hard in their ear. They dont usually phone back. We had 15 Apple calls on Sunday alone. Yes we are on the "NO CALL LIST" A lot of good that is.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:12 AM

It happened to me also.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Scam calls and emails have been around for decades. Nothing new and neither is this scam. Its an everyday occurrence
Exactly ! They use other peoples numbers with auto dialers! The worst is home shield and extension of auto warranty! When you didn’t live here you had the same calls this isn’t new !
Old 12-09-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I don’t get weird calls on my cell. They go right to spam, unless in my contacts. Land line is the same, if number isn’t in my list, I don’t get the call
Why do you need a landline ? Your number is listed nationwide
Old 12-09-2020, 11:41 AM

We are prime targets here-"older"-and come from the generation of a handshake sealed the deal. So we really think something is wrong. You did what we ALL have to do: check with your grandkids before paying "to get out of jail"; ignore apple or windows flashing on your screen that your computer needs help; and also your emails saying your account has been frozen. CALL. So glad they didn't get you!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larbud View Post
I got acall from a busy indian sounding call center along the same lines,Asked me a lot of bs questions trying to get me to say yes to something . What they got was a lesson in redneck profanity! Wife says take the high road they’re just trying to help you! Whut?
I've done that a number of times. I got a call from "Microsoft" claiming I had a virus on my computer. The guy had a terrible accent. I went into my best PO'd Army sergeant tirade using every cuss word I know questioning his parentage, intelligence and sexual identification. I had him spitting and sputtering, totally flustered by what I said to him and then hung up on him.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Check your credit card charges on a daily basis and if you spot a $1.00 charge call
and contest it as this is a method some use to see if you are watching charges to
your credit card. If you don't contest it right away the hacker knows your careless with card charges and next time will bill a much greater sum against your card.
Good point!
Old 12-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Check your credit card charges on a daily basis and if you spot a $1.00 charge call
and contest it as this is a method some use to see if you are watching charges to
your credit card. If you don't contest it right away the hacker knows your careless with card charges and next time will bill a much greater sum against your card.
Checking your credit card charges daily is not nearly often enough. It's better to set up an alert online that will send you a text or email every time you make a charge. If someone steals your card number, they can make charges up to the credit limit in a few hours.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:06 PM

We’ve also received these emails. Could never find a phone number to call amazon. What number did you call to get amazon?
Old 12-09-2020, 01:10 PM

I cannot believe this. I just received the same call for the same amount!
I just hung up on them as I didn’t believe them. I hope no one does press number 1.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, amazon, phone, charge, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.