Fraud warning for gas card

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2022, 07:22 PM
Default Fraud warning for gas card

I just tried to use a $50 Marathon Gas card at the Lake Deaton Marathon station. I had purchased the card at Publix during their last gas card weekend event. I had not used it previously so it could not have been skimmed. The card was declined at the pump. I went into the Marathon store to have the clerk check the card. It had a balance of 65 cents. I then called the Marathon phone number on the back of the card to see where it had been used. A charge had been made for $48.15 at a Marathon station in Doral, Florida. I am to speak with the Marathon fraud department tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
Old 07-28-2022, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,203 Times in 2,271 Posts

Was the security number scratched off, if so this is a common problem, the thief goes to the store records the 16 digit number on the card, and then removed the security cover on the security number, now somehow, they are able to determine when the card is activated, then they have all of the info to use the card. This has been going on for a long time and is the main reason i will not buy a card at a store. I am going to guess you will have a hard time getting reimbursed.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:01 AM
Platinum member

Scam has been going on for a long time, yet folks still buy these gas cards.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:43 AM
Veteran member

I have been purchasing gas cards at Publix for several years whenever they are on sale. I always keep the receipt until I use it the first time. You should have gone back to Publix with the card and the receipt. I never had a problem with their cards. Sorry for your troubles. The world we live in. Everyone wants to make a quick buck without working for it.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:03 AM
Sage

We have been using them for years with no issues. We keep the receipt until we use them for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Old 07-29-2022, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,676 Times in 600 Posts

Just my opinion, but gas cards are more trouble than they're worth, as in this case.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Just my opinion, but gas cards are more trouble than they're worth, as in this case.
True, but if you get them for 20% off as the OP did with the usual Publix deal it's a decent savings and for some worth the hassle. $10 is $10.

That being said, I stopped buying them because I don't go to Marathon but I used to get them for Shell from the Publix promo a couple years ago and NEVER had an issue.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
IMO safer than sticking debit card in them. At lease you only lose small amount on card. I use circle K cards. I will not stick my credit card in unless it absolutely emergency which I haven’t had in 70 plus years.

I bet it’s inside job, how else would the be able to skim card?
Old 07-29-2022, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Was the security number scratched off, if so this is a common problem, the thief goes to the store records the 16 digit number on the card, and then removed the security cover on the security number, now somehow, they are able to determine when the card is activated, then they have all of the info to use the card. This has been going on for a long time and is the main reason i will not buy a card at a store. I am going to guess you will have a hard time getting reimbursed.
Not sure if gasoline gift cards have security numbers or not but with gas gift cards you need to physically put them into the reader so I don't believe just having the codes would do you any good as you can't manually enter the gas card number at a pump just as with credit cards. You need the physical card at a gas pump or inside the store. That's how SHELL worked anyway as a place I worked would always provide me with Shell gift cards. Most other cards that is definitely a long running major scam as is skimming at the gas pump but skimming a gas gift card does no good, skimming a credit card at a gas station is different. IMO the Publix cashier swapped their own used card for a new one because they keep boxes of them under the counter for these promos and have plenty of time to switch it out.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-29-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I bet it’s inside job, how else would the be able to skim card?
What they do is a card switch. They switch a previously used card for one on the rack (or the cashier does it using one of THEIR used cards which seems more likely in this case). "Skimming" or copying the codes on a gasoline gift card card would do no good at a pump or in the station's store as they won't take codes from Gas gift cards (or probably any other) for purchases.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
IMO Easier than getting in line paying cash for gas.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:02 AM

Apple Pay is the only way to go these days. I'm sure you can find other ways to save $10 than sketchy gas cards.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I just tried to use a $50 Marathon Gas card at the Lake Deaton Marathon station. I had purchased the card at Publix during their last gas card weekend event. I had not used it previously so it could not have been skimmed. The card was declined at the pump. I went into the Marathon store to have the clerk check the card. It had a balance of 65 cents. I then called the Marathon phone number on the back of the card to see where it had been used. A charge had been made for $48.15 at a Marathon station in Doral, Florida. I am to speak with the Marathon fraud department tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
Because the cards are kept behind the counter, for the most part, sounds possible that an employee sold the number.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:51 AM

Another reason to drive an EV.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,780 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I don't buy many gift cards, but when I do, I always keep the receipt and immediately scratch off the security number and call to verify the amount on the card, and take a photo of both sides of the card. I think if you had done that, you would have discovered that the security number had been tampered with and the card amount was incorrect. Also, having a photo of the card will allow you to replace the card if you lose it.
Closed Thread

Tags
card, marathon, gas, station, fraud

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.