Fraud warning for gas card

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2022, 07:32 AM
Default and what happens to the EV battery when they used up ? what landfill ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
Another reason to drive an EV.
So much is said about EV s but the question no one seems to want to canver is
Where do the dead EV batteries go ? and what is the cost of replacing the battery ?

I have stock in Waste Management and was on the call for the virtual stockholders meeting and this question was raised, and Waste management answer was very non-committal

Does anyone know the answer and the cost ?
Old 07-30-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO safer than sticking debit card in them. At lease you only lose small amount on card. I use circle K cards. I will not stick my credit card in unless it absolutely emergency which I haven’t had in 70 plus years.

I bet it’s inside job, how else would the be able to skim card?
A "debit" card should never be used for anything but access to your bank.
People should be using credit cards for purchases as it is NOT your money that gets stolen. Just pay the bill.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I just tried to use a $50 Marathon Gas card at the Lake Deaton Marathon station. I had purchased the card at Publix during their last gas card weekend event. I had not used it previously so it could not have been skimmed. The card was declined at the pump. I went into the Marathon store to have the clerk check the card. It had a balance of 65 cents. I then called the Marathon phone number on the back of the card to see where it had been used. A charge had been made for $48.15 at a Marathon station in Doral, Florida. I am to speak with the Marathon fraud department tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
I’m afraid scamming will get worse. Look at our economy!
Old 07-30-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Get mugged while you wait an hour or more stranded at a public charging station.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Mugged and robbed at gas station

I've never heard anyone getting mugged and robbed at any EV charging station but I have read hundreds of articles about being robbed mugged or carjacked at gas stations as well as ladies getting their purses ripped off, so much for your theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
Get mugged while you wait an hour or more stranded at a public charging station.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,564 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I just tried to use a $50 Marathon Gas card at the Lake Deaton Marathon station. I had purchased the card at Publix during their last gas card weekend event. I had not used it previously so it could not have been skimmed. The card was declined at the pump. I went into the Marathon store to have the clerk check the card. It had a balance of 65 cents. I then called the Marathon phone number on the back of the card to see where it had been used. A charge had been made for $48.15 at a Marathon station in Doral, Florida. I am to speak with the Marathon fraud department tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
We use them quite a bit at Lake Deaton Marathon; never been a problem.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,564 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
I was at a car wash one night and three little hood rats pulled up and and attempted to take my truck; that didn’t happen. With my martial arts training, I took 2 down and the third one waiting in their car took off; left the other 2 laying on the ground; the Sheriff’s Dept. arrived shortly thereafter and took them to jail.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:40 PM

This happened to me and I returned the gas card to Publics, and they gave me another gas card. They were great about it.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I was at a car wash one night and three little hood rats pulled up and and attempted to take my truck; that didn’t happen. With my martial arts training, I took 2 down and the third one waiting in their car took off; left the other 2 laying on the ground; the Sheriff’s Dept. arrived shortly thereafter and took them to jail.
You should get the station security video. Love to see that.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Old 07-30-2022, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You should get the station security video. Love to see that.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:19 AM

[QUOTE=EdFNJ;2120047]Not sure if gasoline gift cards have security numbers or not but with gas gift cards you need to physically put them into the reader so I don't believe just having the codes would do you any good as you can't manually enter the gas card number at a pump just as with credit cards. You need the physical card at a gas pump or inside the store. That's how SHELL worked anyway as a place I worked would always provide me with Shell gift cards. Most other cards that is definitely a long running major scam as is skimming at the gas pump but skimming a gas gift card does no good, skimming a credit card at a gas station is different. IMO the Publix cashier swapped their own used card for a new one because they keep boxes of them under the counter for these promos and have plenty of time to switch it out.[/QUOTE

I had a cashier swipe a $50 gift card at a grocery store checkout once and when I noticed my purchase total was more than expected asked to see items scanned before I paid. Sure enough there was the $50 card about which she played dumb. Needless to say, when I went back she was no longer employed at the store. I always check my receipts before I leave the parking lot and find more errors than one might expect.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,285 Times in 451 Posts

This is why I stay with Sams Club and Wawa phone apps. Wawa even has promos for $.15 off a gallon if you use the phone app.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
I've never heard anyone getting mugged and robbed at any EV charging station but I have read hundreds of articles about being robbed mugged or carjacked at gas stations as well as ladies getting their purses ripped off, so much for your theory
Do they charge you to charge your car? How long does it take for a charge? Can you sit in the car w/the ac on while charging?
Old 08-01-2022, 06:12 AM

If you live in a house maybe but if you live in an apartment you still need to go to charging station.
Closed Thread

Tags
card, marathon, gas, station, fraud

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.