Free at home covid tests

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2022, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miekies View Post
And they are not free. The government does not have their own money. They take from the tax payers and we paid for it. Nothing from the government is free.

Or paid for.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not trying to be argumentative but just don't understand ...

If your plan is to isolate for five days after a negative test then why take the test at all?
Testing would be for confirmation of Covid but there are lots of false negative results. That's why I said if you feel sick or have been exposed to a Covid positive person, I would err on the safe side and try not to transmit anything to others.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
La lamy, my thoughts exactly. Why even mess with those tests? I had covid in June, 2020 and my test was negative. That was before I got the two jabs. A year later, I got the jabs. Now, today, I'm sick again with ALMOST THE SAME SYMPTOMS. The symptoms I have are exactly the same as omicron symptoms. I will not get tested. I will isolate and stay quarantined for five days and wear a mask for five days. I was still wearing a mask in public places and will continue the same. Since I'm a nurse (retired this past Dec 31st - yippee!!) I did not have the luxury of staying home so I consider myself lucky. And, as GOLF said, the taxpayers are paying for those free tests people are ordering - and will likely not even use them. It's all turned into a money making scheme, I don't want to get started on that !!
My understanding is 5 days quarantine with a positive test and no symptoms, 10 days with positive test and symptoms. Isn’t that the current CDC recommendation?.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
By the time you get these in February, it will be a little too late. Publix has plenty at the pharmacies I've been to recently.
What sound advice are you talking about?
Old 01-20-2022, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
This

I found the manual for the rapid test machine online. It defaults to positive if there is any anomaly in the sample, or the process.
The PCR test is, apparently the gold standard, the home test is OK, and the Rapid test only reliable if negative.
Nuts!
Not correct.

Positive results are highly reliable.

Abbott RapidID instructions indicate negative samples are inconclusive.

Improper sample collection is the primary cause of incorrect results.

https://www.fda.gov/media/136525/download
Old 01-20-2022, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, I think I deserve a reply since I am paying for them. Nevertheless, thank you, I'm just trying to ascertain the reasoning behind ordering these tests.
Neato. I'm paying for them too. My tax dollars at work. Very grateful to have a system in which my taxes cover the expenses of the Greater Good, and the health and safety of everyone. They're planning on doing masks next. I'll be in line for those too.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not trying to be argumentative but just don't understand ...

If your plan is to isolate for five days after a negative test then why take the test at all?
Ya know, I think about that allot...if I felt I had it, I would just isolate for the 5, but knowing for sure would also be good, just for possible future residual effects. But that being said, I would trust a home test and not stand kn line and possibly pass it on.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
So now, the obvious question----Did you NEED them, or did you order them because they are "free"?

Don't be silly...of course they needed it...everyone needs one on hand. I believe that is the point....if you feel sick or possible exposure take the test.....and much better for all if it can be done at home....right?
Old 01-20-2022, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
Don't be silly...of course they needed it...everyone needs one on hand. I believe that is the point....if you feel sick or possible exposure take the test.....and much better for all if it can be done at home....right?
Right. Except if you get a false negative. Sorry for being "silly"
Old 01-20-2022, 04:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

I suspect this will be a novelty in the Villages after using the first 4. Then complain where are the next 4.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
The perfect is the enemy of the good...
Old 01-21-2022, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
That's ok....you are "silly" often. Lol
Old 01-21-2022, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

So this "free test" is the beginning of not really knowing how many people test positive(IF we ever really did!). It's the governments way of beginning to turn this pandemic into an endemic.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Canada this summer....from what I can gather, Canada presently requires a negative test 72 hours prior to crossing....and on the return the US requires a negative test within 24 hours of crossing.

I'm curious if the results of these 'free' home tests will be accepted at the border by either government

seems to me an independent test may be required to cross back and forth....

has anyone heard if the 'free' tests will be accepted?
Old 01-21-2022, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I ordered my "FREE" test kits. If I had to pay for them (other than by taxes) I would not get them. If I thought that I had Covid, I would wear a mask and only venture out to procure essentials. I do not wear a mask and have never had the FLU so obviously I do not remain in close proximity to anyone that has been infected. I will doubtfully ever use the test kit, but will have it on hand for someone that is in "dire" need of testing. Like I said before, I have not been tested and will not plan to use the test kit. Anyone suggesting that I am wasting an order that someone else might need is being disingenuous because it is not my fault if the gov does not supply enough to go around. Besides that would be like saying a lot of folks are using welfare that should not get it and are using something that others might need more. That dog don't hunt.
Get your FREE test kits and enjoy the placebo effect of having a gov issued security blanket. The only thing a covid test kit is good for is to let your doctor know how to treat your illness (in my opinion). And you know what they say about everyone having an opinion, right?

Tags
free, tests, site, ordered, seconds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.