Cart / Car merge lane on Morse Blvd.

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default Cart / Car merge lane on Morse Blvd.

Is it just me or is this area really dangerous. Travelling southbound by cart on Morse despite signalling and placing my hand out in advance We've had cars excellerate and swerve around sometimes blowing the horn and the one finger salute. Just curious how many others have almost been hit. I know cars have the right away. I just wish it was a better designed crossing. It's the only one we've had trouble with traffic wise.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage

In a posted merge cars DO NOT have the right of way, but sometimes it's not worth fighting for.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Is it just me or is this area really dangerous. Travelling southbound by cart on Morse despite signalling and placing my hand out in advance We've had cars accellerate and swerve around sometimes blowing the horn and the one finger salute. Just curious how many others have almost been hit. I know cars have the right away. I just wish it was a better designed crossing. It's the only one we've had trouble with traffic wise.
Agreed - there should be a posted 20 mph limit for the 100 yards before the barriers to give carts a chance to merge. Cars have to slow to below that anyway as they approach the barriers, so why not make them do so slightly earlier?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Sage
Quote:
Is it just me or is this area really dangerous. Travelling southbound by cart on Morse despite signalling and placing my hand out in advance We've had cars excellerate and swerve around sometimes blowing the horn and the one finger salute. Just curious how many others have almost been hit. I know cars have the right away. I just wish it was a better designed crossing. It's the only one we've had trouble with traffic wise.
What intersection on Morse are you referring?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Sage

Yes, Sorry I did'nt specify which one. The merge lane just before the Morse / 466 intersection so southbound carts can cross over to the tunnels under 466 and Morse.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Bottom line you have a solid white line and you are going left of center car cart or bike who would you say has the right of way. The real bad intersection is Morse and Rio Grand going north. But yes it is very dangerous driving around The Villages thats why I drive fast to get a way from everyone
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Bottom line: never assume another driver knows how to drive, nor that he ever read FLORIDA's rules of the road.

It's best to let them have their way and kill themselves, not you.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Sage

I agree Ilove. Better them than me. Usually the fools will get theirs.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM

The cars have the right of way that's because they are in the lane to begin with and the sign says carts merge ahead. We have a big problem here in the villages with people waving carts to go in front of them at gates and else where. It's simple cars have the right of way unless posted otherwise. Stop waving carts through then they will start driving correctly every were.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
The cars have the right of way that's because they are in the lane to begin with and the sign says carts merge ahead. We have a big problem here in the villages with people waving carts to go in front of them at gates and else where. It's simple cars have the right of way unless posted otherwise. Stop waving carts through then they will start driving correctly every were.
On Occasion I have waved carts thru usually when there is a long line of cars on the road waiting to exit a gate and there are some golf carts trying to cross the road. It's no big deal to let a few carts cross as they would have to wait forever for the cars to exit at the gate. It's no big deal as I'm not moving anyway. I'm sure if I were in a cart there I would appreciate it if someone would let me cross. It only takes a few seconds.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
On Occasion I have waved carts thru usually when there is a long line of cars on the road waiting to exit a gate and there are some golf carts trying to cross the road. It's no big deal to let a few carts cross as they would have to wait forever for the cars to exit at the gate. It's no big deal as I'm not moving anyway. I'm sure if I were in a cart there I would appreciate it if someone would let me cross. It only takes a few seconds.

John
Some cart drivers then assume they have the right-a-way in the future. We must train them right.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

It can be very dangerous there.In fact I often just go on Carrera and stop at the stop sign and wait for an opening to cross over.Safer than merging.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,314 Times in 825 Posts

Yesterday I was at the Morse gate in my cart waiting to turn onto the cart bridge from the center of the road. A nice lady is at the resident gate in her car. She proceeds through moves to center lane then stops and waves me across. I refuse because the gate guard keeps waving cars through on the visitor's side. Sure enough a car doesn't want to wait for her and weaves around around on her right. Would have nailed me if I would have gone. This happens very often there. It is a very nice jesture to stop but please don't. It creates a very dangerous situation for all.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 AM

I'm sorry, but one of the reasons I located here was that the developer touted this as a "golf cart community". Why all the cars? Not sure that the gate attendant is conscious of the cart traffic, but should be. Another good reason for a tunnel.

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post

John
Thanks John, I totally agree with you. Don't know why some people are in such a rush to go no where.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.