Freezers in Garage?

Old 04-22-2024, 08:22 AM
Default Wed o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Two people need a freezer?
My wife and I have an extra freezer AND an extra full size refrigerator in the garage. The refrigerator wouldn't break my heart if it died but the freezer has to stay. Great when you find big sales on meats. Actually looking for a larger one because the current one is old as the hills. LOL
They both work fine in the garage in NC by the way. No garage ready equipment. Plain old indoor equipment.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,105 Times in 302 Posts

Oh, give me a break! Special "garage freezers"? "Code violations?" Don't be ridiculous! How hot do you think it gets here in the summer? It's not the surface of the sun. It's not even TEXAS.

I have the full-size fridge/freezer from my old Texas house, plus a big upright freezer right next to it in my garage. They both work just fine -- exactly the same as they did in Houston, where the outside temperature in the summer often goes over 100 for weeks at a time. And I didn't have to pay an electrician to install a "code violating" extra recep to do it. I don't know what the local code says, but in most localities, garage circuits are usually limited to two receps, anyway, for this exact reason. Both of my freezers are plugged into the same recep and work just fine.

The question is not whether Florida is too hot for a garage freezer. The question is whether your Villages garage has enough room to put it there.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:15 AM

Bought a garage ready fridge/freezer from Best Buy in 2021. So far, so good. I did:

1. Put some velcro on the handles/side of the fridge to make sure the door closes tight and stays closed.

2. Direct a small blade computer fan that is on a timer and pointed at the compressor. It kicks on about 10:30 in the morning and runs until midnight. Don't know if it helps, but trying to disperse heat from an appliance that is pressed pretty close to the wall.

Having the fridge in the garage makes life a bit easier, and ensures cold beer when I'm out there "working".
Old 04-22-2024, 09:22 AM

We've had a Whirlpool refrigerator with a top freezer in our garage for 25 years with no problems
Old 04-22-2024, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,288 Times in 4,302 Posts

Just find an old 80's refrigerator and you're good to go...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 04-22-2024, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Have lived here 12 years. When we came we went to Sears on memorial Day sale. Bought a Sears brand refrigerator/ freeze for the garage. Garage has no special installation. It has performed well all this time. Knock on wood.
Kenmore was built to last....all their appliances
Old 04-22-2024, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Yes! My wife will cook 2 lasagna at the same time and freeze one for a later date. We do the same with soups, stews, chili, etc. When we have busy schedules, it is great to have meals prepared. Beats eating sandwiches or other processed foods.
Address?!
Old 04-22-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Moving here soon and was wondering is it feasable to have a Freezer in the Garage or is it just to hot for it to be effective?
I have both a refrigerator and a freezer in the garage and it has been no problem with either of them.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Moving here soon and was wondering is it feasable to have a Freezer in the Garage or is it just to hot for it to be effective?
Our extra fridge and the upright freezer work fine. My wife likes to be able to take advantage of the BOGO meat sales at Fresh Market.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Depends on how big garage and how big freezer? It you’ve got dinky 1 11/2 garage with washer dryer, water heater, furnace, half kitchen sticking in garage you’re going to to be space challenged anyway. I don’t think heat or plug in will be problem. IMO problem were going to stick it. Now if got large two car garage no problems.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Beautiful 71-72 Roadrunner. Is the car here in the Villages? My Torred 70 Roadrunner needs restoring, but first I have to get it running again hopefully later this year. Love the Basin Blue, I had a 73 that color back in college.

Later, Jim
Old 04-23-2024, 07:56 AM
Default Freezer in garage.

Quote:
I have a 5 foot top loading freezer in my garage. $185 approx from Walmart incl tax. My instruction manual has a warning that says and I quote:
“It is strongly recommended that the unit not be used with a power outlet that is equipped with the GFCI protection”

If my lamp post light does not come on in the evening, I know the GFCI breaker in the garage has been tripped. The garage outlets are 20 amp.
I’ve only had this Walmart unit for about two months now, and the breaker has not tripped yet. It draws such a low amp load that I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for the small freezer. Two lights on the front telling me when the unit is on and a light when the compressor is running. BTW, I have a mini split A/C unit in the garage (connected to a dedicated power source).

Last edited by HogPilot; 04-23-2024 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Updated facts
Old 04-23-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There shouldn't be any problem having a freezer in the garage due to temperature. The only issue you may have is finding or installing an appropriate electrical outlet.
We've had one for 3+ years with no problem. We did have to have a dedicated circuit installed by an electrician though. The original breaker tripped and we lost all the food we had in there including some fresh-frozen blueberries we had picked (sigh).
Old 04-23-2024, 08:19 AM
Default GFCI trip is typically from a ground fault Not High Amp load

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post
I have a 5 foot freezer in my garage. My instruction manual has a warning that says and I quote:
“It is strongly recommended that the unit not be used with a power outlet that is equipped with the GFCI protection”

If my lamp post light does not come on in the evening, I know the GFCI breaker in the garage has been tripped. The garage outlets are 20 amp.
I’ve only had this Walmart unit for about two months now, and the breaker has not tripped yet. It draws such a low amp load that I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for the small freezer.
GFCI trip is typically from a ground fault Not High Amp load. I agree with the freezer recommendation to avoid GFIC circuits for freezer/refrigerators. Just think what would have happened if you were away for a few days and someone such as a landscaper plugged something in and the circuit tripped. Your freezer and contents would be destroyed.

If there are outside receptacles, the GFIC trip can be caused by using long extension cords in wet conditions outside to power hedge clippers etc. I had a licensed electrician install an additional power outlet to a GFIC circuit in my lanai. He caused a trip by having his tools contact the wire contacts with the power on and outlet cover removed. It tripped and I had to move an 8ft. entertainment center after removing all contents to get at the reset switch. Needless to say I had the electrician change out the lanai GFIC outlet to a regular outlet and change the breaker in the electrical distribution to a GFIC breaker. So if the circuit trips, I can reset it from the panel in the garage and the circuit still has GFIC protection..

Tags
garage, freezers, freezer, hot, feasable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.