Freezing pipes

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Default Freezing pipes

The weather people keep telling us to protect our pipes from freezing. What, if anything, are folks doing to keep their water from freezing?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Platinum member

I cover the outside faucets with these from Lowes. The threshold for pipe freezing is 20°, so there really isn't too much to worry about.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

If you are worried, open cabinet doors under sinks that are on outside walls.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:51 PM

If you have water service to sinks outside (like in your outdoor lanai area), DO NOT open the cabinets! In fact, you could put a pitcher of warm water in the cabinet below those outdoor sinks, but keep the doors closed. Indoor plumbing shouldn't be a problem. The insulation that helps to keep your house cool will also help to keep your house warm.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Turn on outside water features.
Open the faucets that are on pipes that might freeze. Note you want a very very slow drip. The problem is the pipe freezes and as the ice expands it puts pressure on the the pipe between the ice and the faucets. Thus opening the faucets a little can relive the pressure. Be sure to do both the hot and cold, not just one.
Do cover the outside faucets as mentioned above.
Probably drain the back flow on the sprinkler and cover it with insulation or at least a few towels. You will need to turn off the water to the sprinkler system.
If you get up to go to the bathroom you could run the water in areas you think you have a problem.
If you have a hot water circulating pump leave it on all night. But remember it may not reach all pipes.
I assume pipes in the garage will not get below 32 but that could be wrong tonight.
Detach hoses from outside faucets.
Note I am assuming we do not have substantial insulation in the outside walls for block homes. If you do then you should be ok for a lot of your plumbing.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Freezing pipes

Coming here after 69 years living in Northern NJ where Temps often were in the single digits and living in a 69 year old home with ZERO insulation other than literally a sheet of aluminum foil and with copper pipes on outside walls and never having a frozen pipe I doubt 1 or maybe 2 nights with POSSIBLY 26-30 degree outside temps then temps going up to 40-50+ during the day should cause much concern other than to plants. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Smile Freezing Pipes

REMEMBER....It's not the freezing that causes all the problems, but the thawing!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

When I move to Paradise many years ago I thought my worrying about freezing pipes were over. if it's going to be this cold I may as well shovel snow. I should have rented one month in January before I bought. No I'm not going to leave I'll just pass it on how cold it is in January in The Villages and make sure you bring your winter gear with you if you plan on visiting
Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It is not a bad idea for manufactured homes to let at least the kitchen faucet do a slight drip overnight when a freeze is predicted. Other homes are fairly well protected per a plumber I knew.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
When I move to Paradise many years ago I thought my worrying about freezing pipes were over. if it's going to be this cold I may as well shovel snow. I should have rented one month in January before I bought. No I'm not going to leave I'll just pass it on how cold it is in January in The Villages and make sure you bring your winter gear with you if you plan on visiting
FL has one bad month per year...January...and then only some few mornings that month.

A slight safety factor/margin is the reported air temp (where ever it is taken) is likely to be as much as 10 degrees colder than the side of one's home.

This morning's reported temp for TV right now on The weather Channel...25 and sunny. The ambient temp where the controller (outside) for our pool and spa is 33.
We have the automatic freeze prevention cycle on our pool/spa and outdoor water features at 39 degrees to allow for wind chill.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage

Wind chill doesn't apply to inanimate objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
FL has one bad month per year...January...and then only some few mornings that month.

A slight safety factor/margin is the reported air temp (where ever it is taken) is likely to be as much as 10 degrees colder than the side of one's home.

This morning's reported temp for TV right now on The weather Channel...25 and sunny. The ambient temp where the controller (outside) for our pool and spa is 33.
We have the automatic freeze prevention cycle on our pool/spa and outdoor water features at 39 degrees to allow for wind chill.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The sky is not falling.....................
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Wind chill doesn't apply to inanimate objects.
Only that it drives the temp to ambient more quickly:

Does wind chill affect inanimate objects?

Yes. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to cool to the current air temperature. Object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The sky is not falling.....................
I will have another glass of Kool aid and put my ski glove and jacket on, then go and see how many people are playing golf or picked ball. The sky will not fall in Paradise
Old 01-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Sage

I am glad to see that you have some understanding of wind chill. However, why you would set your freeze protection device to come on at 39F and then indicate you did this to allow for wind chill is a mystery. You don't need to allow for wind chill. Now, there can be some issues with evaporative cooling and shallow water depths but that would also require a large dew point depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Only that it drives the temp to ambient more quickly:

Does wind chill affect inanimate objects?

Yes. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to cool to the current air temperature. Object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.

Last edited by biker1; 01-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
freezing, pipes, water, folks, protect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.