Only for retirees?

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Location: New Hampshire but thinking about moving to the Villages next Spring
Default Only for retirees?

I've read that the Villages is a great place to live but that it is a retirement community. I'm only 57, single and don't intend to retire any time soon. I'm currently welding in New Hampshire and intend to move to Florida next year after I secure work in the area I'm moving to. Am I eligible to live in your community if I'm not retired? I've been a certified welder for almost half of my life so finding a good paying job is not a problem but finding one close to where I live is my goal. I have found that forums like this provide me with more information than calling the Chamber of Commerce for the city. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWelder57 View Post
I've read that the Villages is a great place to live but that it is a retirement community. I'm only 57, single and don't intend to retire any time soon. I'm currently welding in New Hampshire and intend to move to Florida next year after I secure work in the area I'm moving to. Am I eligible to live in your community if I'm not retired? I've been a certified welder for almost half of my life so finding a good paying job is not a problem but finding one close to where I live is my goal. I have found that forums like this provide me with more information than calling the Chamber of Commerce for the city. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
There are plenty of people who live and work here, even over 55. It's a 55+ active adult community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Yes you can, quite a few people in TV move there before they fully retire.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

You are over 55, so come on down, we will welcome you in TV. And a certified welder is always welcome, I am a self trained welder, and I have helped several villagers with small projects. You will love this area, and hope you are successful in getting employment. You may be shocked at the wages, while I am officially retire, I still do some consulting, but I was really surprised at the scale of some of the wages. I suspect your profession will be in demand, check on the I-4 project, I am sure they need lots of welders.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

As villagetinker stated, your biggest problem will be the shock of just how low wages are in Central Florida. Before moving here, I was a legal secretary for thirty years. I didn't expect California wages, but I certainly expected more than just poverty level wages. If you're used union wages, as the New Yorkers say, fuhgedaboutit. I went into business for myself. You may find that to be your best option as well.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,946 Times in 2,463 Posts

For what I read and been told you only have to be over 19 (never heard of anybody being turned down wanting to buy), working or not has nothing to do with it. You just can't have children living with you under 19, unless you buy the three or four? villages that allow children (which way I understand it they don't get or pay for amenities?) which by the get to go to the villages charter school or any living outside of the villages working for the villages children gets to go to villages charter school. You can have your children living off campus and they get village ID. IMO they should have to pay Amenities, but what I have been told they can leach off they're parents that live in the villages and use the amenities. OK, if I gave out wrong information, I sure the villages lawyers will correct me?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
A lot of people here still work and live here. Go to a website called Job Search | Indeed and type in welding and the zip code 32162. See what jobs pop up.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Platinum member
Red face Jobs

Looking at Craigslist Ocala, there appear to be many openings for welders in Ocala. That could mean a 15 or 20 mile drive to work, and about a half hour of time, but that doesn't compare to the minimum of an hour that I had to drive to cover 20 miles to work when I was in Washington, DC.

There are probably more jobs in Orlando, but that is a terrible commute, both in time and distance.

Note that the pay range on the linked job announcement is $12 to $15 an hour. You can click on "reply" and get a phone number and e-mail address to contact them.

Welders Needed!!!

If you are over 55 there should be no hindrance to living in The Villages. A relatively young, active man should have an interesting social life.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Easy to rent before you buy. Also to make sure your job works out.
Any over 55 community will let you live their. Being retired is not a requirement.
I would find the job then find the over 55 community.
VillagersHomes4Rent.com
Old 05-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Sage

Also keep in mind that Florida is an anti-union, right to work state, so you will be an employee at will. They can fire you without cause.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Also keep in mind that Florida is an anti-union, right to work state, so you will be an employee at will. They can fire you without cause.
Let's see.....

Good worker = raises, promotions, advancement
Bad worker = fired, with or without cause

So what exactly is the problem???

Oh, yeah, union members pay dues that the bosses and their "associates" skim for their own personal enrichment. In return, they negotiate contracts, sometimes ridiculous ones, that protect bad workers.

So, if you suck as a welder, by all means find a union shop. So what if the bridge I'm driving over collapses because you're a lousy welder. The union bosses will still be getting rich and you can continue to work as a lousy welder. Better yet, get retrained as a teacher in Chicago----much more protection for bad workers there.

Incoming, take cover
Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

OP, one more item regarding working, many 'jobs' as setup as sub-contractors, and you will be required to setup an LLC, and get your own liability and workman's comp insurance. As stated above not a worker friendly state.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Let's see.....

Oh, yeah, union members pay dues that the bosses and their "associates" skim for their own personal enrichment. In return, they negotiate contracts, sometimes ridiculous ones, that protect bad workers.

So, if you suck as a welder, by all means find a union shop. So what if the bridge I'm driving over collapses because you're a lousy welder. The union bosses will still be getting rich and you can continue to work as a lousy welder. Better yet, get retrained as a teacher in Chicago----much more protection for bad workers there.

Incoming, take cover
Having dealt with three separate unions in my upper management career, I'm certainly no fan of the ones that act in the manner you describe.

HOWEVER, the 'good employee vs. poor employee' equation only works...when it is done on merit and facts.

Implying that if you're a good worker means you have nothing to worry about...exposes a naïveté from you that surprises me.

"So, I see you're a registered Republican who likes to golf GE. I dislike both...so you're fired."

As for the OP, there is nothing that stops you from living here and still working...even if you were not yet 55.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Having dealt with three separate unions in my upper management career, I'm certainly no fan of the ones that act in the manner you describe.

HOWEVER, the 'good employee vs. poor employee' equation only works...when it is done on merit and facts.

Implying that if you're a good worker means you have nothing to worry about...exposes a naïveté from you that surprises me.

"So, I see you're a registered Republican who likes to golf GE. I dislike both...so you're fired."

As for the OP, there is nothing that stops you from living here and still working...even if you were not yet 55.

Good luck in your decision.
It could happen, but it is not in an employer's best interest to fire their good workers. And unless that worker's boss IS the owner or CEO, that person also has a boss he answers to and so on. Good workers generally come to the attention of upper management, so firing one for other that "merit and fact" would be a bad idea. Good workers also come to the attention of competitors, so in the unlikely event he is fired, he will find a happy home elsewhere

I had 48 employees, and despite 3 department heads, an assistant manager and a manager, I always knew who was good and who was not so good. We once had an employee who would go home and post false and derogatory statements about our business on her facebook page. Once discovered, she was walked out the door the next morning. Imagine if she was a union worker, it would take forever to get rid of her.

Now, if this was 1917, I'd be the most pro-union person around. God bless those pioneers who were beaten by corporate thugs as they established worker's rights that are taken for granted today. But times have changed, unions have changed, and maybe the pendulum has swung too far. I'm all for fair wages, safe and good working environments, vacations and holidays, but don't see protecting bad workers in anyone's interest, other than the union itself.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Let's see.....

Incoming, take cover
Since you mentioned Chicago you know that the American Medical Association's headquarters are located there which is said to be the strongest trade union in the country. Just sayin'.'

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
live, intend, community, finding, goal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.