Model Homes-Do They Eventually Get Sold?

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Sage
Default Model Homes-Do They Eventually Get Sold?

When model homes are no longer needed after a village is built out I am assuming TV sells them. Can the price on former model homes be negotiated, or are they treated as other new homes in TV, the price is what it is? Has anyone on TOTV purchased a former model home and are you happy you did?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

They build model homes in many of the new villages. We purchased a model home in St. Charles, as did almost all of my neighbors.

They are turnkey houses...everything is included, right down to the soap in the bathrooms. We were living in Europe, when we closed, but on a subsequent visit, we only came with our clothes and stayed a week in the house.

Negotiable on price..... in a word: NO! Although, when they are ready to sell the models, they discount them. One caution...they are sold AS IS. They will only come back to fix structural problems under the warranty. Anything considered cosmetic [which is everything you call them about] is all yours.

We're happy with our former model though.

PS: We're from the Chicago burbs too...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
When model homes are no longer needed after a village is built out I am assuming TV sells them. Can the price on former model homes be negotiated, or are they treated as other new homes in TV, the price is what it is? Has anyone on TOTV purchased a former model home and are you happy you did?
In April we purchased an At Ease model in Tamarind Grove. It was used as a model home but was not furnished except for all appliances.

We're moving in at the end of June and couldn't be happier. They were just starting to sell the models in that neighborhood and had just reduced the price about $8,000 when we were there so we jumped on it. There is no negotiating on price but we were quite happy with the deal we got. There were some things we didn't realize until after we paid our deposit. We bought a 2 car plus golf cart garage home, but there were no garage door openers. (We hadn't paid for them and TV offered to install two 1/2 horsepower openers for $950. We passed on that offer and are using Ryan O'Cull to install the same ones for $500.) We're also having two solar attic fans and gutters installed the week we move in.

Most, if not all, of the homes on our street were also models . . . some furnished, some not.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Sage

Thanks for the info. about model homes. Last July when I went to TV with 2 friends looking at homes, we were taken by a TV sales rep. to some new homes in Buttonwood that were fully furnished, so I'm guessing they were models (or would they have been they spec. homes -- I would think a spec. home would be unfurnished?).
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Thanks for the info. about model homes. Last July when I went to TV with 2 friends looking at homes, we were taken by a TV sales rep. to some new homes in Buttonwood that were fully furnished, so I'm guessing they were models (or would they have been they spec. homes -- I would think a spec. home would be unfurnished?).
Hi Schaumburger, you are right on both counts. Technically, a model home used for sales would be a furnished spec. home.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Gold member
Default not quite turn-key

the furnished model my friend purchased came with the balance of the 1 yr warranty (I think there were about 5 mos left) and the other usual builder/appliance warranties.

Also, it came with 2 sets of towels (on display in the bathrooms) and bedspreads/window treatments, but I don't think there were any sheets, and no dishes/pots and pans/small appliances, except for whatever was displayed as decoration. But - beautifully and professionally decorated. No TVs.

I looked at several other turn-key properties with her - problem with many of them was that they were not furnished in her decorating style, and of course, not everything was new (or as good as new). I think she did well. She does not enjoy decorating also didn't want to move stuff down from Ohio.

Plus, you basically get a new house in a new neighborhood and most of the construction in the neighborhood is finished before they sell the models.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.