Need someone to look in on New House

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Default Need someone to look in on New House

We are going to close our home on Daffodil December 11th, but it could be several months before we get to TV because we have to sell our house here in El Paso.

We contacted "Empty Nest" at TV office and the service is pretty expensive ($50 to enroll, and $22.75/wk) to walk through a house every 9-10 days.

Does anyone else offer this kind of service?

Also, we need a lawn service and wonder if anyone can recommend one to us. We appreaciate any suggestions. Thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Need someone to look in on New House

Sent you a PM.

For lawn services, I've found it is best to get with your neighbors and all of you use the same service if at all possible. That way, the lawns are all even. It seems like every village has their own group of mowers, etc.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
EYANKOWSKI

I USE MIKES MAINTANANCE FOR MY LAWN
Old 11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Agree with Red, I would try to get ahold of neighbors on wither side or across the street nad try to use same service if possible that way they will be your QC to see it's done right. You may even find someone that will look in on your house.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM

Thanks guys and gal.
I thought of neighbors too, but we are closing by mail, and we don't know anybody. I know there are some people moved in, so I will have to dig a little deeper.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Dave & Sandi,

Best of luck to you both...We have EZ Ryder, he is very good and does the weeds too..I pay extra but I think it is well worth it..

Donna

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 AM

Hi Dave and Sandi - and, welcome to the Villages. What Village is your new house in? I would be more than happy to look in on your new house from time to time if you would like. And, there would be no charge. Just being neighborly. I have a great lawn fella. If I know what Village you are in, I will ask him next week if he covers your area. I just started using him because my other service - the guy had a stroke - and his uncle found this young man for he and he is quite nice, professional, thorough and came with a lot of very very good references. You can call me, if you like, at 352-259-4601. My name is Monica Carter.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:22 PM

Hi,
We have a home in The Villages but are snow birds. We use Budget Home Watch (Doug and Ann Light) and have been very pleased. They check the house once a week and email us to tell us things are okay. The price is $30 a month. You can reach them at 352-430-1737.
Good luck with your new home.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Sandi
We are going to close our home on Daffodil December 11th, but it could be several months before we get to TV because we have to sell our house here in El Paso.

We contacted "Empty Nest" at TV office and the service is pretty expensive ($50 to enroll, and $22.75/wk) to walk through a house every 9-10 days.

Does anyone else offer this kind of service?

Also, we need a lawn service and wonder if anyone can recommend one to us. We appreaciate any suggestions. Thanks
I am in the same situation. I close on the 19th of December on a Patio Villa in Duval, on Everwood Court. I won't retire till the end of March from my job in PA so I wont get there permanently till end of April, beginning of May. I will be there in January for a few days for a walk-through and to pick up keys and my Villages ID. Any suggestions on how to make it work would be greatly appreciated. wav
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

DIcky
WE were (and still are) in your situation having closed by mail in september 2006, met the builder and first inspection october 2006...all with the intention of moving permanently in june 2007. However we cannot sell the house in VA and have been going down every 10 weeks of so to check on the place.
When we first went down in October we picked up the gate passes and got our IDs and made arrangemetns with the closing office to have the builder meet us on our first (working) day after we arrived. We also rented a van so we were able to bring some essentials down like a bed, table, and kitchen ware....yuou must stay in your new house the first day/night of arrival!! The builder will meet you and if you are staying a week to 10 days you can start getting some of the warranty work done. If you cant do it when you are down the first time schedule it for when you know you will be down in a month or so. I would not wait....for you have the initial inspection and can get work done immediatley and SOME work like tile cracks or granite/corian problems MUST be identified during this first inspection. While doing this, your other job (besides visitng the town squares) is to meet neighbors, arrange grass cutting, and start becomming familair with your house....how does the sprinkler system work etc. Some also get terminte and grass/weed treatment contract in place, while other wait until they are at TV more permanently. When you are not at the house you willl turn off all water, lower your heat, and gas settings and lock things up. There really is not much to check on in the house BUT I will give you 2 cases...1)when the tornado of Feb 2nd hit, I immediately called my neighbor to see if the house was still standing, and 2) I had a case where my neighbor called me one day and asked when my sprinkler system came on because he said their was a major water leak in my yard.......sprinkler water is not shut off at the main water line. Make a long story short, he called Village Watch and they identified a leak in the MAIN sprinkler line that runs from our street through my property to the next street. Fortunatley it was not on my meter bill but this is something that can happen where a good neighbor will help you out. Village Watch may not have found this problem for a week or 2 especially if the neighbors behind you are snow birds and not home!
The other key thing to rememebr is that even though you may not start living in the house for 1, 2 or even 3 months after settlement, your warranty period start at settlement date.
I rambled enough but Im certain you will work your way through the process and meet some great friends along the way...we have! There is nothing like having great neighbors!!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
EYANKOWSKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane
Hi,
We have a home in The Villages but are snow birds. We use Budget Home Watch (Doug and Ann Light) and have been very pleased. They check the house once a week and email us to tell us things are okay. The price is $30 a month. You can reach them at 352-430-1737.
Good luck with your new home.
DO THEY GO INSIDE OR JUST CHECK THE OUTSIDE
Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

I use Paul Laipple from Affordable Home Watch. He, his wife, and another couple own it. Been very happy with them. They check my home every week, inside and outside. Email me and let me know if anything needs to be done. Also take my golf cart out for ride, add water as needed. I email them when I am coming down and everything is turned on. Have hot water, ice cubes, air if needed. They even sweep down the outside. Very happy with them! Their web site is: http://www.affordablehomewatch.com/

Becky
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Sage

Becky and Loislane .. excellent information and references, thanks! ;D I'd much rather pay a few dollars for this service (and it seems they've thought of everything), than impose on friendly neighbours.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.