Friendliest Town?

Old 05-08-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Maybe this will make the OP feel better.
Just this morning I was futzing around in the driveway, getting things in order for my snowbird departure.
A neighbor, 5 doors down, whom I had never met pulls up in his golf cart and says "I noticed you couldn't get to the top of your holly bush when you and your wife were trimming. I have an 8-foot ladder. Would you like to borrow it?"

Sure, so we go back to his place, get the ladder, set it up and he looks at me and says "are you comfortable with ladders?" I said "not totally but I have never fallen off one, yet", so he says "here, I'll do it. I've spent most of my life on ladders", so he proceeds to trim the top of the holly bush for me.

My neighbor's name is Larry. He's a nice man. For every jerk like the guy in the OP, there are dozens and dozens of Larrys in TV.

Take a few deep breaths, and be thankful to live here, with all of the Larrys.
We love you Larry!
Old 05-08-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,726 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Maybe this will make the OP feel better.
Just this morning I was futzing around in the driveway, getting things in order for my snowbird departure.
A neighbor, 5 doors down, whom I had never met pulls up in his golf cart and says "I noticed you couldn't get to the top of your holly bush when you and your wife were trimming. I have an 8-foot ladder. Would you like to borrow it?"

Sure, so we go back to his place, get the ladder, set it up and he looks at me and says "are you comfortable with ladders?" I said "not totally but I have never fallen off one, yet", so he says "here, I'll do it. I've spent most of my life on ladders", so he proceeds to trim the top of the holly bush for me.

My neighbor's name is Larry. He's a nice man. For every jerk like the guy in the OP, there are dozens and dozens of Larrys in TV.

Take a few deep breaths, and be thankful to live here, with all of the Larrys.
Well said.

Some time back a lady (not a Villager) was visiting our neighbor across the street. Came time to leave, her car, which was in the neighbor's driveway, wouldn't start: just enough energy in the battery for a couple of groans and then just clicking. I was out doing yard work and noticing her plight, offered to help. She was pretty worked up, planning on calling a road service to get her car towed to wherever it could be fixed. Being an ex-Minnesotan I never go anywhere without a pair of jumper cables, so I offered to jump her car and at least get it running. I had to manually push it out of the driveway onto the street (lady steered with the dead car in neutral) but once the cables were on it started right up. As she was not from around here I recommended a repair shop where I take our car, cautioning her not to turn the car off until she got there. She did, got her battery replaced, and all was well.

The point is that similar things are the norm in TV rather than the exception. Sure, there are always exceptions, but Villagers helping Villagers (and non-Villagers) are common occurrences.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
It ended with a question mark, so imho the title was merely asking, "Wazup?
Yes, wazup with the friendliest home town. Not with wazup with a crazy jerk driver.
Incident has little to do with Florida’s friendliest home time slogan. Just a jerk who most likely has always been a jerk.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
We love you Larry!
Ditto!
Old 05-08-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,232 Times in 5,428 Posts

As far as I am concerned this is a very friendly place
Old 05-08-2024, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

I think The Villages is basically friendly, but TV and the whole world is not as gentle and kind as the world used to be.
My wife and I are both pretty cautious and polite drivers - yes, it often does take us an extra minute to get somewhere.
Our rule is to always let someone who seems aggressive and in a big hurry to just get on ahead of us. Any confrontation could turn out to be very bad news nowadays, there are a lot of pretty crazed folks driving around.

~peace~
Old 05-08-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I think The Villages is basically friendly, but TV and the whole world is not as gentle and kind as the world used to be.
My wife and I are both pretty cautious and polite drivers - yes, it often does take us an extra minute to get somewhere.
Our rule is to always let someone who seems aggressive and in a big hurry to just get on ahead of us. Any confrontation could turn out to be very bad news nowadays, there are a lot of pretty crazed folks driving around.

~peace~
I wish I had a little bit of your patience with people.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post

~peace~
Your driving advice is words to live by!
Old 05-08-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Your driving advice is words to live by!
Key word in your reply is "LIVE". Good!
Old 05-08-2024, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
I wish I had a little bit of your patience with people.
You don't have to be a Christian to ask, "what would Jesus do?" I'm an agnostic, but I often ask that question. I find it helps me to be more patient and avoid confrontation with jerks who have no patience of their own.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
You don't have to be a Christian to ask, "what would Jesus do?" I'm an agnostic, but I often ask that question. I find it helps me to be more patient and avoid confrontation with jerks who have no patience of their own.
Yeah, I find I'm on one extreme or the other. I am a huge pushover and very giving for people that treat me well, I am 'difficult' when people are an a$$ to me.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Yeah, I find I'm on one extreme or the other. I am a huge pushover and very giving for people that treat me well, I am 'difficult' when people are an a$$ to me.
You’re a good guy.....now about that FarmerAll!
Old 05-08-2024, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Not correct...
Unless you moonlight as a gate attendant, you couldn't possibly say that with any certainty.
Who said “with certainty”? A very few Villagers do have pickup trucks watch your neighbors, I’m in north central and out of 100 owners, maybe 1 has a pick up.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Who said “with certainty”? A very few Villagers do have pickup trucks watch your neighbors, I’m in north central and out of 100 owners, maybe 1 has a pick up.
I think I'm 1 of 3 pickups in my little area. That's 3 houses out of about 25 or 30.

On my street at home the next 3 houses in each direction have a pickup (I'd guess it's about 40% of all vehicles).

It would be an interesting graphic to see it for all areas of the US or the world.

It's certainly less here but I bet there are more than you think. I currently have 3 full size pickups all in.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,237 Times in 2,817 Posts

I don’t blame the OP for being angry, if that happened to my wife I would be on the hunt for the idiot as well. But I also agree with others, don’t paint the Villages with a broad brush because of one incident. There are jerks everywhere in this world. Unfortunately, I have been up north for about a month now since spending over three wonderful months in the Villages this winter. I easily have come across more aholes in a short period up north than I did over the entire winter. It’s all relative.

Tags
wife, car, guy, fing, shaken

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.