Friends Support (Or Don’t) Move To The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2022, 09:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Five very close couples, 2 were so happy we had choose a active lifestyle, community, they each came on lifestyle visit and bought their own home.
Third couple who still live in our old neighborhood, choose to break ties, with all couples.

Last couple very angry we had all abandoned them, angry words, and bad feelings all around. So it’s almost December they are now sitting in 22° weather with snow.

All of a sudden the 3 couples in TV, that they threw away have now become very important to them. So on a weekly basis they text or email, missing everyone, wanting to come and stay for a month or so.

Not happening in our household, maybe they’ll have more luck with the other two couples.
They want to stay a MONTH or so? No thanks.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:43 AM

I was shocked and saddened by the reaction I received from what I thought were good friends when we moved to TV. It does appear that jealousy over early retirement and the reputation TV has for being wealthy. One individual said TV is for people that “hit the lotto”. It took me a year, but now I see these people were not who I thought they were in the first place. Sad, but better to find out, I guess. We love Florida and TV.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What does FREE FL mean?
We moved from CA. We couldn’t take not going to the movies anymore (shutdown), most churches still not allowing indoor service (we left in May of 21), and sitting in smelling parking lots to eat because indoor eating was forbidden. When we started to drive across the country we realized how captive we had been. Hope that helps to answ your question.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:44 AM
Platinum member
Default Your gonna fly now

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael 61 View Post
i’m just 9 days away from my move from colorado until i close on my new home in tv. I’m a little surprised i am receiving some guilt trips (both passive and a few very direct) from long time close friends about leaving colorado. There is a sense of betrayal and disloyalty i am receiving from more friends than i though i would. This is zapping a little bit of my joy and excitement of moving to the tv next week - although i knew they would be saddened (i am too), i thought they would be more supportive of my move, and of course i have a guest room for friends to visit, and will be flying back to colorado a few times a year to visit them and spend thanksgiving. Would like to hear any comments from those of you, and how you handled the move away from friends to tv.
you have many good postings here to advise you.
Living here is a choice, not a sentence. You can always change your mind. Dont confuse home sickness with freedom's call to new adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221128_054040.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	95888  
Old 11-28-2022, 06:10 AM

I did the same 17 months ago.
I'm sure your friends weren't calling everyday to go do something. Well, here they will.
So much to do. Be it sports, crafts, 💃 dancing. Classes for everything.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Don't be surprised come February , some of these "friends" want to come for an extended visit.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Good friends are like John Mac Arthur churches - hard to find. You should stay where they are.
I totally disagree. First of all, good friends don't guilt trip you, secondly, friends are very easy to make if you're open to it. The Villages is one of the best place I know to socialize and find all types of people and mentalities. Congratulations for your early retirement and enjoy your move.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:41 AM

I think everyone knows what free Fl means! Just think.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:51 AM

I went thru the same thing. They are just jealous. Once you are here the sting you feel will go away.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m just 9 days away from my move from Colorado until I close on my new home in TV. I’m a little surprised I am receiving some guilt trips (both passive and a few very direct) from long time close friends about leaving Colorado. There is a sense of betrayal and disloyalty I am receiving from more friends than I though I would. This is zapping a little bit of my joy and excitement of moving to the TV next week - although I knew they would be saddened (I am too), I thought they would be more supportive of my move, and of course I have a guest room for friends to visit, and will be flying back to Colorado a few times a year to visit them and spend Thanksgiving. Would like to hear any comments from those of you, and how you handled the move away from friends to TV.
We got the same thing when leaving California but glad we did. Your friends will get over it and be glad to visit you in the winter when it starts snowing in Colorado.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:57 AM

I have one sister who has totally shut me out since moving here eight years ago. I have other family and many friends who have visited many times
Old 11-28-2022, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

FYI - OP stated in another thread he was going to be a snowbird splitting time between Colorado and TV. IN this thread OP states he will have a spare room in TV for friends. Seems to me friends are within a stones throw.

Last edited by rustyp; 11-28-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What does FREE FL mean?
Really? The #2 state in the country where people are moving to. Try living in Cali or NY, no one should have to explain "free"..insert eye roll..
Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

They are jealous. Who wouldn't be? Just tell how great it will be when they come visit.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I totally disagree. First of all, good friends don't guilt trip you, secondly, friends are very easy to make if you're open to it. The Villages is one of the best place I know to socialize and find all types of people and mentalities. Congratulations for your early retirement, and enjoy your move.
I have to agree. Good friends should be happy for you. I do not like when someone tries to make me feel guilty. I feel that is not a friend. Friends try to make one happy.

I would like to move to The Villages, but it is the grandkids that are preventing me. I have to list the pros and cons as to why or why not to move. I have friends, but more can be made if I move. Sometimes it is all right to let go and move on.

Tags
friends, move, colorado, i’m, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.