Mother Bird and Two Chicks on rocks in neighbors front yard.

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Default Mother Bird and Two Chicks on rocks in neighbors front yard.

While cutting and trimming my neighbors front lawn this AM, I saw a small bundle of fur at my feet, a baby chick about the size of a pickleball. As I looked at the adjacent rock bed and curbing where a small tree is planted, I saw another chick and its mother. I put the first chick I saw back in the shade with its mother and she proceded to cuddle them under her wings.

Now what to do? Left some water, but not sure mother will do anything with it. Another neighbor put some bread down. The mother is small too, very brown and gray, you can hardly see her in the rock pile. She does have a curved beek and very dark eyes.

Question is what to do and will they survive under the conditions?

Regards, GP
PC Connection, Inc. - 11 yrs
Nashua, NH - 35 yrs
The Villages - 6 yrs - Publix - 4 1/2 yrs
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM

That was the right thing to do, probably won't touch the water. Did you see a nest in the small tree? There must be a nest around there that the babies fell out of and the mother is trying to take care of them on the ground. The largest worry is a predator finding them on the ground which is a very likely scenario unfortunately. If you find/see a nest you can put the babies back in it for some protection and despite the "old saying" about being rejected the mother will continue to take care of them. I hope they survive OK, Good luck!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Default No Nest in sight....

There is no nest in sight, the small tree could not of supported a nest. She may of hatched them on the warm rock pile. The chick have that fuzzy flying fur for feathers. But is there a agency that we could call that would help this small family out?
PC Connection, Inc. - 11 yrs
Nashua, NH - 35 yrs
The Villages - 6 yrs - Publix - 4 1/2 yrs
Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Last edited by duffysmom; 05-27-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.