Key to mailbox

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Default Key to mailbox

I have lost one of the keys to my mailbox and would like to get a replacement key cut

The key I still have has "USPS - do not duplicate" stamped on it, so I assume ACE Hardware won't be willing to cut a key for me.

Who is the official USPS key-cutter?

Thank you
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Gold member
Talking

The Post Office!!!! Lady Lake
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i believe the p.o. will require you to pay for 2 new keys which they will provide with the new lock on your mailbox - if that is not correct am sure someone will be along with the correct info!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
I have lost one of the keys to my mailbox and would like to get a replacement key cut

The key I still have has "USPS - do not duplicate" stamped on it, so I assume ACE Hardware won't be willing to cut a key for me.

Thank you
Try Ace and see what they say, cybermuda. You can be my experimenter. Someone told me that Ace will cut a new PO key and I wondered if it what they were saying was true or not.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

I just checked with an ex-Ace employee from Southern Trace. Yes, they did it all the time, as long as they had a blank that fit.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Sage

If they do, they're breaking the law. You need to go to the post office, and order a new lock,(about $15), and get 2 new keys. Not convenient, but that's the way it is.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Ace does not have blanks for them.They are a restricted Blank that can not be bought by them.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

Thank you

I'm pretty sure it's a $25 fee for the post office to replace and this includes the new lock on your mailbox.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Try Ace and see what they say, cybermuda. You can be my experimenter. Someone told me that Ace will cut a new PO key and I wondered if it what they were saying was true or not.

I went to Ace in SS to make extra keys when I closed on my home in May and they wouldn't make them. I had all the keys, I just wanted extras -- the renters got some, the proprerty manager got some but I wanted atleast one for me!!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a $25 fee for the post office to replace and this includes the new lock on your mailbox.
My recollection is that the USPS wants $75 per additional mailbox key. It can't possibly cost the USPS that much for time and material, so you have to believe they charge that exorbitant amount to discourage the business.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Gold member
Wink

Post Office are the only ones to change your lock and key!!! Pretty sure it 25.00. You can call Post Office to get particulars. No one else is allowed to duplicate key. Normally they will call and meet you at box. Only takes a few minutes. Maybe they even sell the new lock to you to change, (if you have other key) All mail comes out of Lady Lake Post Office
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Post Office are the only ones to change your lock and key!!! Pretty sure it 25.00. You can call Post Office to get particulars. No one else is allowed to duplicate key. Normally they will call and meet you at box. Only takes a few minutes. Maybe they even sell the new lock to you to change, (if you have other key) All mail comes out of Lady Lake Post Office
Was 25.00 Last Oct. to do this. They changed out the lock and new keys.
I believe they gave me one key and left two in the box. Not totally sure about the last. Cost was 25.00 and there was no meeting them there. They do it on certain days and was not a hassle at all.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

$25 for us too then returned it because the keys they gave us at closing were the wrong ones
Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Lost & Found

Check Lost & Found before changing locks. Give it about a week for someone to turn them in.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Went through this a couple of months ago. It is illegal to duplicate any mailbox key so forget Ace Hardware. They won't have the right "blank".
What is necessary to do is go to the PO in Lady Lake (off of 441/27) and request a new set. Will cost you $25 for 3 new keys and be sure you have plenty of ID's.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.