Garage Door Opener?

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2021, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post

I expect a belt drive system, will require special toothed belts, like used to drive the valves on some cars. Should you need a new belt, is it a standard part?
Yes, it's a toothed belt. Unless you jam it frequently, it'll never need replaced.

The garage door on my villa had an old genie chain drive in it. The sound it made was akin to the raising of the portcullis at the Tower of London.

I replaced it with a Chamberlain Belt Drive and now you hear some clicks. I didn't lubricate or replace any of the wheels. It went from shockingly loud to "is it doing anything? oh, it's moving" level of quiet, .
Old 06-08-2021, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Whomever you choose , shop around some of these installers are really expensive and go fo the quiet belt drive always. I installed mine myself ,had chain and went with the belt drive other than the door itself making noice from folding no noise.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:24 AM

Romac did ours which is a chain drive. Quiet, and I maintain it myself. In other places, I've replaced my own and it's not a big job.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
What some are calling a chain drive is properly called a roller chain-similar to a bicycle chain. It comes in different widths, gauges, and is sold by the foot. You purchase the length you need and it is connected with a master link. Actually if you are doing this, you buy more than you need and using an inexpensive tool you purchase from a bike shop it is easy to remove links. People complaining about it leaking oil, have either improperly lubed it or hired someone who improperly lubed it. It can be cleaned and properly lubed.
You can also get that stuff form a bike shop or on line-not expensive.

I expect a belt drive system, will require special toothed belts, like used to drive the valves on some cars. Should you need a new belt, is it a standard part?

The rollers. People tend to lube everything with WD 40. It is not a lubricant it was developed as a mold release compound. Try it for yourself. Spray it on a piece of glass.
You will see in a few days it is gone.
I suppose that you are right when you say it won't drip oil if properly lubed. But, I've owned two homes in The Villages. Both had a dirty line down the center of the door, caused by something dripping from the chain. I never lubed them...so, whatever it was lubed with was done by the builder. Belt drives that I installed seem to be easy to replace (if needed).
Old 06-08-2021, 10:58 AM

I installed a Genie screw drive. Very quiet and easy to install.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
Has anyone replaced their garage door opener? Did you get the chain or belt driven? Who did you have install it. I would appreciate any recommendations.
I just got mine replaced last week. I used Scotts Garage Door Service - 352-697-0321. They were fantastic! Told me the only thing that cold make mine even quieter was new roller wheels, but they would last at least another year. I would recommend them whole-heartedly, as others have done!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:16 PM

Yes. I bought one on Amazon $28. Took me less than 15 minutes to install.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:26 PM
Default Replaced my opener

Quote:
Has anyone replaced their garage door opener? Did you get the chain or belt driven? Who did you have install it. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Call RoMac for a Kanear opener. I had on installed last month, Very good system, Very Quiet also
Old 06-08-2021, 01:45 PM

All of the above - Chamberlain belt drive, nylon rollers - easy. Two items to add - make sure the new unit will automatic close your door after 10 minutes (can be overridden), Chamberlain offers that feature. Second, buy a $5 can of lithium spray-on grease and lube your big springs every 6 months or so (or every year or so).

JMHO
Old 06-08-2021, 04:29 PM
Default Garage Door Opener

Quote:
Call Rodney’s Garage & Screens 352-464-2893
Tell him Joe S referred him to you 😀
Old 06-08-2021, 04:33 PM

Call Rodney’s Garage Doors
352-454-2893
Old 06-08-2021, 06:51 PM

Just bought a new Chamberlain from Home Depot and had it installed for $87, love it, so quiet
Old 06-09-2021, 03:28 AM
Default Garage door repair

Quote:
Call Jeff at J&J Services 352-702-6376 12 years experience installing and repairing garage doors.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, opener, door, install, driven

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.