Garage Door Screens

Old 05-14-2024, 05:49 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskopski View Post
As a newbie we noticed many homes have electric roll down screens on their garage doors. Assuming it keeps your garage cooler during summer months especially since our garage faces due west. Our golf cart gar door is separate. Would installing on just that door do the trick? Any estimates of cost for these screens? Thank you!
Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors, interior motorized shades,privacy-hurricane shutters and awning.
We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have the Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@Yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	42438.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	104091  
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@yahoo.com
http://www.talkofthevillages.com/
http://www.coolbreezeincorporated.com/
www.facebook.com/coolbreeze.screens
Old 05-14-2024, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
As a newbie we noticed many homes have electric roll down screens on their garage doors. Assuming it keeps your garage cooler during summer months especially since our garage faces due west. Our golf cart gar door is separate. Would installing on just that door do the trick? Any estimates of cost for these screens? Thank you!
The roll up screen is in my opinion the only way to go. We have had one for 8 years and love it. Call Kevin at Skeeter Beater !IE Barlow Tri County Screens 352-266-0404 Professional ,local , fair pricing and service if needed. I backed into mine it ended up on the trunk , called Kevin he was t here in less than an hour. Rollups add value to your home vs others.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,893 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
My first home in The Villages had sliding screens in the garage opening, and I liked them a lot. I used them day and night until some lowlife came in and stole a brand new $3200 e-bike. I had a powerful garage to attic fan installed for around $600. I thought that would bring in a breeze, whether through the screen door or through the two vents in the regular door. It didn’t help much. It couldn’t cool the garage more than the outside temperature, and if I brought in a car I’d had outside in the sun while driving, it radiated heat for hours. Now I live in a courtyard villa with a smaller door and no screen. A few months ago I installed TWO garage door insulation systems: one foam panels from Lowe’s and the other 1/4” foam with reflective aluminum on one side. Installation was a lot of work, thanks to the hurricane beams that all have to be removed, but it cost me a total of maybe $300. It helped that I had the right power tool for removing all those hex head bolts on the hurricane beam. I’m very pleased with the result. Now, in the morning, my east facing door is just mildly warm instead of sizzling. If I haven’t had my car out, the temperature is perhaps twenty degrees cooler than it was. Well worth it. If you decide to get a mini-split system, be sure to also get your door well-insulated.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:36 AM

We have Thumper's system installed as well. It's an ingenious system. Only one issue is if you press the wrong door opener, you can jam the doors together. A real PITA!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Default Mini split

[QUOTE=asianthree;2330952]At third house garage facing northwest, screen lowered temp about 5 degrees. It was only noticeable if we opened the lanai doors, and back door we got about 10 degrees difference if there was a steady wind.

This house garage faces due south, and without a screen, both doors open, we cool about 4 degrees. Instead of investing in a $3500. Screen for this house we are installing a mini split. Then can control temp that makes difference.

Was wondering how much you paid for the mini split system? Thanks
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 AM

We just put the Screen Sliders in. Very efficient and less expensive. Nice to have the main garage door open with screen, keeps snakes and other critters out.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Default I took my roll up down

I took my roll up down so I could park my pickup truck in the garage. It's for sale for 500.00 -109 5/16 wide. for two car garage. Heading back north next week 5/22
Old 05-14-2024, 09:14 AM

I’ve had Thumpers system for 17 years…never a problem.
I have two, my garage and my golf cart garage. My husband used the GC garage for woodworking, so it was a good investment for us.
But in your situation I would just do one screen. Keep life simple
Old 05-14-2024, 10:01 AM

Please show pictures or where to have those installed
Old 05-14-2024, 10:41 AM

Had a estimate from cool breeze about 3 wks ago. $2900 for a 2 car garage(16x7). Thumper who has a different set up, similar price.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:24 PM
Default Screen door for garage

Install outside above the soffit - you have better clarence into the garage
Old 05-14-2024, 02:36 PM
Default Thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHarley View Post
We have Thumper's system installed as well. It's an ingenious system. Only one issue is if you press the wrong door opener, you can jam the doors together. A real PITA!
I have had Thumpers screen for 10 years. It has a fail safe system built in so you can't open both doors at the same time. I have tested this numerous times over the 10 years LOL You do get a lot of blinking lights but no movement of doors. If yours move at the same time I would call them.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:07 PM

I am surprised that I am the only one saying so, but putting the screen on our garage door had absolutely nothing to do with keeping the garage cooler or the garage in any way. During the milder months, we have the garage door up, the screen down, the door from the house to the garage open, and the lanai sliders completely open. We get the most incredible fresh air blowing through the house and keeping it cool....until my allergies kick in and we have to close up again.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Default Consider

Quote:
It is impossible to get the garage temperature any lower than the outside ambient air temperature without some sort of cooling system e.g. air conditioner or mini split.
I chose to:
1. Install door vents. One low and one high.
2. Insulate doors and over garage attic space with radiant barrier.
3. Have a door screen installed by Thumper.
4. Install an overhead fan.
All in all my south facing garage stays within 5 degrees of the outside ambient air temperature.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I thnk that is a bad assumption. How is it that if you open up the garage doors that the garage would be cooler than the outside? Blocking the heat would offer a level of coolness not opening up to it....

Tags
garage, screens, door, due, west

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.