Garage door stopping while closing

Old 04-23-2024, 10:23 PM

I had a similar problem with my MVP opener. The door would go down within about 6 inches of the floor, then go back up. The red light on the back of the opener was flashing. The owner's manual didn't help. I just unplugged the opener from the outlet for 15 sec. then plugged it back in. Worked after that.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:35 AM

I had a similar problem with my Linear opener recently. When we went for a walk, we’d leave through the garage and push the button on the remote to close it.

The door would come down a couple of feet and then reverse itself to reopen.

Worked fine with the keypad and wall button.

My remote died a few days later so I changed the battery and haven’t had the issue since.

It doesn’t make sense that something in the remote’s signal would cause the issue but we’re working fine now.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,207 Times in 762 Posts

Depends on the brand of the opener, my MVP has only one red led, that lights when they are in alignment.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Depends on the brand of the opener, my MVP has only one red led, that lights when they are in alignment.
I struggled with the same issue at our home for years. Sometimes I thought the sensor was inadvertently bumped while wheeling out the garbage bins. Sometimes the sensor would work after a few cycles. I would unwrap and rewrap the wire connections, try turning the mount, turning power on and off--all of these would work for periods of hours or months.

Eventually I replaced the sensors. The were less than $17 on Amazon (which surprised me) and have not had a reoccurrence in several years. Worked right away.

These were for a Chamberlain opener--but you can probably locate the sensors for your unit for the same price?

Good luck--it was real frustrating...

Amazon.com
Old 04-24-2024, 10:02 AM
Gold member

The issue I've had is the connections that plug into the sensors got corroded over time.
Sprayed electronic cleaner on them, put no-ox-id on them...good for 5 more years.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:43 PM

Was closing my door from the inside, and it reversed. Went over to check, and noticed the rope handle at the bottom was hanging down. Tucked it into a railing hole to get it out of the way of the sensors. The door then closed.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:30 AM

I had the intermittent problem where the door would come down a foot or two and then reverse. The lights on the back of the motor assembly flashed the code for " contact reverse" rather than one of the codes associated with the light beam. The solution was to lubricate the moving parts on the door with a cleaner sold for that purpose. That's all it took -- hasn't had a problem in the three years since.

Tags
garage, lit, light;, door, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.