Garage Doors

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

My garage door opener recently died. My house is 3 years old. Precision Door installed a new opener system. It is super quiet whether opening or closing. They were quite professional but it did take a huge portion of my incentive check, so not inexpensive. I have insulation on the door. The weight of the material is insignificant but I don’t really find it to be very effective either. Incidentally, the man that installed my opener said that the automatic screen doors for the garage door can damage the opener. I’m not sure if that is true but I thought I’d pass that info along. I have the sliding screen on mine and I love it.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
My garage door opener recently died. My house is 3 years old. Precision Door installed a new opener system. It is super quiet whether opening or closing. They were quite professional but it did take a huge portion of my incentive check, so not inexpensive. I have insulation on the door. The weight of the material is insignificant but I don’t really find it to be very effective either. Incidentally, the man that installed my opener said that the automatic screen doors for the garage door can damage the opener. I’m not sure if that is true but I thought I’d pass that info along. I have the sliding screen on mine and I love it.
I don’t see how my garage screen could have any effect on the door opener. It has its own housing and motor so it operates entirely independent of the door. I think there are some screens that utilize the same track as the door. Perhaps those are what they meant.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:25 AM

How To Lubricate Your Noisy Garage Door - YouTube
Watch this, helped mine.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Same issue. Mine is a word great door opener. Found a grease to put on great. Changed the noise immediately.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
Since moving in ( Eight years) I have always found my garage doors to be quite noisy when operating. They have been maintained on a regular basis in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.

I have been considering adding insulation from one of the various kit producers.

Question is: Is there a small, medium or large reduction in noise level if I proceed with this project?

Other suggestions for noise level are welcome.
Dynsol, Bob47 said it right, change the steel rollers out for the nylon rollers makes a world of difference. I took out the steel rollers on the last 5 homes I owned, it made a world of difference. They’re easy to change it takes about an hour to change 10 to 12 rollers. Google will have a 5 min. video showing you how to do it. Changing the garage door & insulating the door will be a waste of money. Roller won’t make it perfect but does make a big difference. Good luck!

Last edited by OhioBuckeye; 07-19-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:42 AM

I use a spray lubricant designed for garage doors. It helps and is used when every it get noisy. PS I have the insulation kit on my door it doesn’t do anything to reduce the noise.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
Since moving in ( Eight years) I have always found my garage doors to be quite noisy when operating. They have been maintained on a regular basis in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.

I have been considering adding insulation from one of the various kit producers.

Question is: Is there a small, medium or large reduction in noise level if I proceed with this project?

Other suggestions for noise level are welcome.
Oh, no, noisy doors! That and a loss of smell are dangerous signs.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:57 AM

my wife is much louder than any garage door...LOL ...
seriously, a wild bird decided to build a nest above our front door.. last year she had 4 eggs that quickly matured and all flew away (with not even a thank you). She returned to the same nest weeks ago and laid 3 blue eggs. Every day she was in the nest but for over a week, she has not been seen. What do I do with these 3 eggs.. does anyone know? Audobon Society does not return calls.. May and Steve 845 643-4543 thanks for any info.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

While the noise itself has never been high on my personal pet-peeve list regarding garage doors, like many others I have found that proper lubrication does help with noise as well as longevity of garage door parts. I also learned that oil based products (such as regular WD-40), tend to leave a mess and a safety hazard on the floor for a while after initial application, so I long ago went to grease-based products. The number one pick on this list, is what I used on the house we just sold and seemed to be the best of all worlds.

5+ Best Garage Door Lubricant of 2020
Old 07-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
After reading this thread, I timed the opening and closing of my cheap, Romac garage door. It takes 10 seconds to open and 10 seconds to close. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars for 20 seconds of quiet. There are other louder noises that you can't prevent no matter what. Maybe when the door fails, I may consider buying a quieter door.
It’s not the ten seconds its the noise. When I use to sneak in at 3 AM my wife would catch me because of the noise. Now not so much. So spending a few hundred bucks was worth it.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Try getting a can of garage door lubricant and spray it liberally. Worked for me
Ditto!
Old 07-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Default New door

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think insulation will reduce the noise much, if at all. The noise is not from the door panels, it is from the metal parts that move together, such as the motor, chain, hinges, and rollers that bump against the tracks that they ride in. I think, if you shop around and are willing to pay a lot more money, you can find a quieter garage door to replace the noisy one with.
Really need to replace the door, tracks, rollers, operator. The doors provided when built are very, very cheap. Get a polyurethane door with belt drive operator and it will not only b much quieter but also help big time with keeping out the heat.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Home Depot has a garage door aerosol spray lube, it does a nice job in my opinion. Just give a quick spray to all the moving joints whenever it acts up, I do mine a couple of times a year. I've had the spray can for quite a few years now and it works fine.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

As the door ages and is likely to have more noise. But there is a plan. Your hearing will be less acute.

But seriously, unless it is signifying failure, I would recommend normal maintenance. The noise duration is likely about 10 seconds per event. Only those events when you are in the garage are likely to be a problem. As the door closes and opens when you are arriving or leaving will not be heard. Certainly not a garage door replacement issue unless you cannot deal with it.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

I agree with villagetinker.

The noise is a cumulative effect coming from GDO, chain, rollers and tracks. Changing to a belt, change to nylon rollers, proper lubrication of tracks (please use garage door lubricant not general purpose lube). Do all of the above and you’ll find a great reduction in noise.

I watched one of those Beverly Hills real estate shows. A house had a very expensive, imported, GDO and silent door system. When the door opened it was literally silent. What it appeared to do was lift the door slowly for the first few inches then speeds up. When the door was within 12 inches of fully opened it slows and comes to a quiet stop. Opening the door slowly for the first few inches and coming to a slow stop makes all the difference. The GDO was only $20k.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, noise, level, doors, producers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.