The "garage house" in Tall Trees

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

All I can say about the garage house is that I am jealous. Wishing we had room within our deed restrictions to add that kind of storage space. Oh well, we will get by with our little one car and one golf cart garage.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The unmentionable online newspaper has a view of the finished monster garage which ARC has allowed to be built in Tall Trees.

I have no dog in this fight. I do not live in Tall Trees. I never ever have a need to go through there, but oh my goodness how on earth did the owner get the ARC to give permission for this monstrosity to be built on the end of his existing home and garage. They have opened a Pandora's box for sure! I hope, for their neighborhood's sake, that the landscaping will be sufficient to hide most of this monster.

I am somewhat surprised that the neighbors have not resorted to legal action.
plenty of monstrosity all over the villages
Old 06-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyboys7 View Post
He must not be happy where he stores his motor home. This looks like a garage built to store a motor home.
Probably his yacht
Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 PM

Agree also. And with landscaping will be very nice. Love the idea of the 2nd story. As long as nice and within the rules, why do we need cookie cutter boring?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

A good landscape architect can do wonders to hide a home/garage design.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'd be curious to know how few went to the hearing for this house change or any of the many other changes ARC has to go thru? The dates and locations are posted at the mail stations. State your likes or dislikes ahead of time not after all is said and done period. If it was your house and followed the procedures than nothing was done wrong. Your complaint is with them for approving this and those who are now objecting for not attending!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I'd be curious to know how few went to the hearing for this house change or any of the many other changes ARC has to go thru? The dates and locations are posted at the mail stations. State your likes or dislikes ahead of time not after all is said and done period. If it was your house and followed the procedures than nothing was done wrong. Your complaint is with them for approving this and those who are now objecting for not attending!
Completely agree. The time to have input is before ARC decision, but... in the new areas when owners are not living there yet, do they get notified about requests that may effect them? If they don’t how are they suppose to know what is planned in the first place? Also given that there is such a large percentage of snowbirds, it is not adequate to simply put a note up somewhere in TV when they are not going to see it for many months. Is digital communication available?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Completely agree. The time to have input is before ARC decision, but... in the new areas when owners are not living there yet, do they get notified about requests that may effect them? If they don’t how are they suppose to know what is planned in the first place? Also given that there is such a large percentage of snowbirds, it is not adequate to simply put a note up somewhere in TV when they are not going to see it for many months. Is digital communication available?
e-notification signup:

VCDD e-Notifications Sign Up

There really is a wealth of information on the District Web Site if people would just look for it!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage

Wonderful information, TV is the best! Thank you, I’ve signed up.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Well, it is indeed an attention-getter among the relatively homogenous design of most of the TV models.

Though I have not seen the home in real life, from the picture it looks like they have made good design choices to make their addition mesh with the original house.

Even though it looks so much bigger than the home, the siding, the shingles, the roof pitch, and the trim blend in rather nicely.

The doors are in the style of carriage house doors — a highly traditional garage door design that I happen to favor because of its added detail, including those high windows which let in light. And that looks like a very nice driveway, too.

Landscaping will buffer the stark surprise that is causing great consternation in the land right now.

I seriously doubt that such a structure was built by a hoarder to move a mess of stuff from a northern basement.

Even though it is none of our business, I must admit to speculating about the contents. My first thought was at least one antique car, but that is because I am a big fan of cruise-ins and always wonder where those glorious machines are kept. (I have always said to Mr. Boomer that if we had room, I would be so tempted to find a ‘59 Cadillac or a ‘57 Chevy or a ‘55 (I think) T-Bird to treasure. (sigh) But it is not going to happen so I will just continue to admire them from a distance. Besides, I, a woman, have other priorities when choosing a home.)

But — c’mon you guys — I bet a lot of you would love to have that garage. In fact, with some men, it could be the WOW! factor that would get them to move to TV.

If the house were to be for sale, perhaps its market would be more narrow than for the more traditional homes, but I can tell you right now, it would sell fast and at a premium.

And that is the end of my dissertation on why I think the garage house is interesting, and things will turn out just fine for it.

Last edited by Boomer; 06-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Well, it is indeed an attention-getter among the relatively homogenous design of most of the TV models.

Though I have not seen the home in real life, from the picture it looks like they have made good design choices to make their addition mesh with the original house.

Even though it looks so much bigger than the home, the siding, the shingles, the roof pitch, and the trim blend in rather nicely.

The doors are in the style of carriage house doors — a highly traditional garage door design that I happen to favor because of its added detail, including those high windows which let in light. And that looks like a very nice driveway, too.

Landscaping will buffer the stark surprise that is causing great consternation in the land right now.

I seriously doubt that such a structure was built by a hoarder to move a mess of stuff from a northern basement.

Even though it is none of our business, I must admit to speculating about the contents. My first thought was at least one antique car, but that is because I am a big fan of cruise-ins and always wonder where those glorious machines are kept. (I have always said to Mr. Boomer that if we had room, I would be so tempted to find a ‘59 Cadillac or a ‘57 Chevy or a ‘55 (I think) T-Bird to treasure. (sigh) But it is not going to happen so I will just continue to admire them from a distance. Besides, I, a woman, have other priorities when choosing a home.)

But — c’mon you guys — I bet a lot of you would love to have that garage. In fact, with some men, it could be the WOW! factor that would get them to move to TV.

If the house were to be for sale, perhaps its market would be more narrow than for the more traditional homes, but I can tell you right now, it would sell fast and at a premium.

And that is the end of my dissertation on why I think the garage house is interesting, and things will turn out just fine for it.
Not limited to men. I'd LOVE a "gal cave" that I can call my own. Here in the north I have "my office," which is the 3rd bedroom of our very small house. The desk takes up most of the room.

I don't do much crafting, partly because it's expensive to maintain outside craft-fair season, and partly because I just don't have a place to do it.

A "garage room" would be a perfect place for a crafting workshop.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
The agendas are published every month prior to the meeting. All you need do is go have a look.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage

Great website, and I downloaded the agendas which show district and street numbers. How do I give the committee my input electronically? I would think they’d like to know what the residents think in the first place. I am very much interested in anything effecting my investment and my home.

I think I found my answer:
“Florida law prohibits the Board of Supervisors from communicating with residents about Deed Compliance or Architectural Review issues/cases. Please contact the Community Standards Department directly at deedcompliance@districtgov.org to report any concerns you might have.”

I’m wondering about this “Florida law” what it says precisely and the reasoning behind it. But I’ll leave it for now as I need to find out how we work in TV first. I appreciate the cooperative, helpful and amazing people here at TOTV.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-25-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:41 AM

Nothing wrong with it ,he might have a truck which would fit perfectly
Old 06-29-2019, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Great website, and I downloaded the agendas which show district and street numbers. How do I give the committee my input electronically? I would think they’d like to know what the residents think in the first place. I am very much interested in anything effecting my investment and my home.

I think I found my answer:
“Florida law prohibits the Board of Supervisors from communicating with residents about Deed Compliance or Architectural Review issues/cases. Please contact the Community Standards Department directly at deedcompliance@districtgov.org to report any concerns you might have.”

I’m wondering about this “Florida law” what it says precisely and the reasoning behind it. But I’ll leave it for now as I need to find out how we work in TV first. I appreciate the cooperative, helpful and amazing people here at TOTV.
Supervisors can not discuss deed restriction matters because they may have to rule in a compliance violation that is brought before them. They can not legally receive information pertaining to the issue prior to the hearing. So, they must steer clear of all things deed restriction.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, trees, tall, arc, built

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.