The "garage house" in Tall Trees

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 AM

This is so much better than the cookie-cutter 3-2 houses/floorplans almost everywhere else in The Villages, IMO.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
When you buy a property, you buy the district around it. That is why I bought in an already established area. I’m not so good at visualizing other peoples’ dreams so I can’t buy what I don’t see. If my neighbor went all monster beside me I’d expect compensation from whoever allowed it to happen because that is not what I bought into. The rules exist to allow you to have a certain expectation. I don’t buy that it is a done deal, what was done can be undone. Maybe this particular garage is not so bad but ARC should be put on notice about it.
Compensation for what? Unless you could prove that the addition caused the value ofI don't believe that you'd be entitled to anything.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,751 Posts

Rules are for everyone, I follow them and I expect others to too. You are right about compensation, it has to be demonstrated. I was talking about a hypothetical situation. I am proud of my neighbors as they are the most considerate people, they show pride of ownership. I can’t imagine them doing something that would lower the value of the neighborhood.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 PM

It’s not like any of the houses in The Villages are architectural gems... at least this design has some nice subtle details, as opposed to the McMansion look of the more expensive “designer” or “premier” homes that are often comical in their attempt to appear grand.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM

I could think of many things to do with the extra garage space.... since my basement is full.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhopdevil View Post
I could think of many things to do with the extra garage space.... since my basement is full.
Basement? In TV? I thought the only basements in TV were sinkholes as the houses are built on Karst. .

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM

So where are we supposed to put our stuff anyway? The attack space over the garage is too hot for most things. There are no basements and most garages are too small for even two cars. Add to that the stupid idea of putting the laundry in the steaming hot garage and you are going crazy storing everything. I would love to have a bigger garage and a separate laundry room. The house looks fine. It's legally built and was properly approved. Some of the rules really need to be relaxed. Maybe some of us don't want to live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood where everything looks the same.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 PM

I think it looks fine. There are more than enough “stepford” neighborhoods. A little variety to me is entirely welcome.
It matches with the rest of the structure....I give it two thumbs up!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:20 PM

It looks fine to me. A modest home with the addition blended in in the same style. Obviously had a big enough corner lot to do this. One shouldn't have to buy a McMansion aka premier home to get the garage space they need. People don't need to be so judgmental. I've seen some ugly homes in ugly colors, but I don't go posting about it. That would just be rude. More power to this guy who dared to do something a little different yet followed the rules. Too bad his neighbors aren't very nice. They just need to get over themselves and chill out.
Yes, the Villages is very cookie cutter. Even with different floor plans, many homes look the exact same on the front façade.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
So where are we supposed to put our stuff anyway? The attack space over the garage is too hot for most things. There are no basements and most garages are too small for even two cars. Add to that the stupid idea of putting the laundry in the steaming hot garage and you are going crazy storing everything. I would love to have a bigger garage and a separate laundry room. The house looks fine. It's legally built and was properly approved. Some of the rules really need to be relaxed. Maybe some of us don't want to live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood where everything looks the same.
You're supposed to get rid of most of it before you move here. What do you DO with the stuff in the attic from one year to the next? What do you DO with the boxes you've had in storage in your basement however long you've owned your home?

We've stockpiled a bunch of stuff "just in case." Well "case" never happened, so now we have boxes of extra dishes, pots and pans, blankets, chairs, clothes. We have wedding presents we never took out of the box (we've been married 28 years). I have sweaters my mom knit for me when I was in college (in the early 1980's). I STILL HAVE A GRATEFUL DEAD TEE SHIRT from when I went to a real actual Grateful Dead concert, that hasn't fit me for over 20 years. I still have a pair of jeans I wore in college.

Most of this is "just in case." Just in case the other one breaks. Just in case I lose 30 pounds and my boobs suddenly revert back to the size and shape they were in college and gravity reverses itself. Just in case I have 497 cuts and need five band-aids of different sizes on every single one of them. Just in case I decide to make waffles, that one time in my entire life, ever.

Get rid of it all. Tag-sale it, then donate whatever's left over. If no one wants it, toss it on the curb or drive it to the municipal waste dump.

You'll be surprised at how much easier you can breathe when you're not tied down by all this STUFF.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Gosh! It's just a garage. Not to worry. 😊
Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Looks like it is tall/big enough for an RV...
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Whoever came up with “garage house” has named the edifice for posterity as the term is unquestionably descriptive. Perhaps the owner when giving directions can just say “we live in the garage house” when providing directions to a visitor.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
There is a solution to all that you stated. Do not live in a deed restricted community in Florida where there are no basements.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Rules are for everyone, I follow them and I expect others to too. You are right about compensation, it has to be demonstrated. I was talking about a hypothetical situation. I am proud of my neighbors as they are the most considerate people, they show pride of ownership. I can’t imagine them doing something that would lower the value of the neighborhood.
I haven't seen anything that says that rules were not followed.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, trees, tall, arc, built

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.