Garbage bags not garbage cans

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 08:12 PM
Default Garbage bags not garbage cans

I think it's time for folks to be reminded that garbage put out by the curb for collection is to be put out in black plastic bags, not garbage cans. Garbage cans put more physical stress on the garbage men and cans left out by the curb, often for hours, can be rather unsightly and blow into street on windy days. I admit I am not familiar with the requirements in all the countries and villages the Villages now encompasses but it is the requirement where we live.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,273 Posts

In our village a trash can is a single use item. Whatever’s at the curb goes in the truck.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-01-2022, 10:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
In our village a trash can is a single use item. Whatever’s at the curb goes in the truck.
Yup, exactly. Can's, wheel barrows, boxes, you put it out they take it away.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,470 Posts

As reminder crows will less likely pick open black trash bag. All the picked open bags I see that crows have pulled trash out has been white.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink Why Pay for Trash Bags???

Walmart bags have always worked for me and the price is right!
Old 08-02-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
cans left out by the curb, often for hours, can be rather unsightly and blow into street on windy days.
Have you never walked outside during one of the summer storms we get, that happens to also be on trash pick-up day?
More than once, I've been out in the street & my front yard picking up wet flattened amazon boxes, small trash bags, water bottles, etc that had blown down wind from neighboring properties on trash day.
How unsightly & inconvenient is that to deal with?

I'd suspect a heavy trash can wouldn't be nearly as prone to 'relocate' its contents all over the neighborhood, but I understand the regs against them.

I do wish the The Villages has a centralized resident disposal area for excess trash/large items to be dropped off. It absolutely would make for a cleaner village. In the newly constructed villages, with people moving in, contractors still around, people unpacking, getting new appliances, landscaping being set up, etc .I've literally seen 6ft tall mounds of trash in driveways & yards, sitting out for days waiting for trash pick up...looked great! :/
Old 08-02-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,015 Posts

i use a trash can. leaving the white bags 'waiting' in the garage for trash day attracts bugs, & sometimes leak. it's just another mess to clean up. we have lots of crows on our end, they are'nt fussy about the color of the bags, & it's usually me that goes out to pick up the stuff they go thru when neighbors are out.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,380 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFwUs View Post
Have you never walked outside during one of the summer storms we get, that happens to also be on trash pick-up day?
More than once, I've been out in the street & my front yard picking up wet flattened amazon boxes, small trash bags, water bottles, etc that had blown down wind from neighboring properties on trash day.
How unsightly & inconvenient is that to deal with?

I'd suspect a heavy trash can wouldn't be nearly as prone to 'relocate' its contents all over the neighborhood, but I understand the regs against them.

I do wish the The Villages has a centralized resident disposal area for excess trash/large items to be dropped off. It absolutely would make for a cleaner village. In the newly constructed villages, with people moving in, contractors still around, people unpacking, getting new appliances, landscaping being set up, etc .I've literally seen 6ft tall mounds of trash in driveways & yards, sitting out for days waiting for trash pick up...looked great! :/
Tall mounds. This too shall pass………….
Old 08-02-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I think it's time for folks to be reminded that garbage put out by the curb for collection is to be put out in black plastic bags, not garbage cans. Garbage cans put more physical stress on the garbage men and cans left out by the curb, often for hours, can be rather unsightly and blow into street on windy days. I admit I am not familiar with the requirements in all the countries and villages the Villages now encompasses but it is the requirement where we live.
We have a new neighbor who is NOT new to the Villages but likes to violate every rule they can including putting a trash can at the curb! All it takes is one resident to do what they want and others start to follow
Old 08-02-2022, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
We have a new neighbor who is NOT new to the Villages but likes to violate every rule they can including putting a trash can at the curb! All it takes is one resident to do what they want and others start to follow
After your neighbors put out their trash can you could tape a note to the can which says, "This trash can is trash" or "Please take this trash can, too!"

Yeah, I know that's being nasty but I was actually making a joke of the situation.
Actually, given the choice, I much prefer trash cans to trash bags.
They are much more civilized!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 11:38 AM

Not saying I've seen all the trucks but the ones in our neighborhood have the can lift on the back. Our neighbor, who has lived in TV for 7-8 years now, uses a can, made to be lifted by the truck, and they leave his can by curb. Of course he's out there to take it in right away too. For me the issue is people leaving the garbage out overnight and the critters getting into it...
Old 08-02-2022, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,186 Times in 2,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
Not saying I've seen all the trucks but the ones in our neighborhood have the can lift on the back. Our neighbor, who has lived in TV for 7-8 years now, uses a can, made to be lifted by the truck, and they leave his can by curb. Of course he's out there to take it in right away too. For me the issue is people leaving the garbage out overnight and the critters getting into it...
Unfortunately we are at the start of the morning trash pickup, and if i do not puit the trash out the night before, the trash is typically picked up before i am out of bed, so my only option is to place it out the night before.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
No critters in my area (north of 44, south of 466A). Haven't seen a problem in two years and haven't been told of any problems by the neighbors.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-02-2022, 12:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Moving here years ago it was always plastic bags for awhile there were recycling boxes which were relocated by rain and wind. A while back a poster said he put lawn waste out in wheelbarrow and was taken assuming trash collection.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
No critters in my area (north of 44, south of 466A). Haven't seen a problem in two years and haven't been told of any problems by the neighbors.
No critters in your area?
Surely you jest!

Tags
garbage, cans, put, bags, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.