Garbage bags not garbage cans

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2022, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
OOB, I kinda assumed they were old!🤷🏼
Well that's the thing about deed restrictions. If even one part of them is outdated and obsolete or no longer applicable, then the entire document is obsolete and needs to be written to comply with the current reality.

I think the only reason these older deed restrictions have /not/ been rewritten to comply, is because no one has ever gone through the red tape and jumped through the hoops necessary to get them rewritten.

They CAN be rewritten even before the expiration date. But it requires a lot of effort.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Yes, much more "dignified," as you say. But let me add a few things . . .

If the powers that be want residents to use black trash bags, they should provide them!

I'm sure you will agree there is nothing more "dignified" than when birds and other critters peck away at the bags and your secrets are all over the street.

I continue to use Walmart bags. The price is right and I am cheap.

Do you have any idea how much damage TV is doing to the environment by not providing trash cans as opposed to requiring residents to use plastic bags?
It's actually shameful!
I purchase the black trash bags in bulk at Costco. They even stretch. As for the environment, our trash is incinerated and recycled to electricity by Covanta, including the plastic bags. How is that harmful to our environment?
Old 08-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We use a white plastic bag because that is what my wife bought lots of when we moved in.

Would prefer a can but when in Rome >>>>
Not everyone has room in their garage for a large garbage can. I have always used a garbage can before moving to TV but we were able to store the cans on the exterior of our home. Here in The Villages, storage of garbage cans outside the home is prohibited as far as I know.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
How are plastic bags shameful? All our trash gets incinerated and turned into energy.
I just said the same thing. That was a hot topic not too long ago. I put all my grocery and retail store plastic bags in the trash now and do not feel guilty at all.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
our family has a good relationship with out sanitation workers. we chat, leave $$tips on holidays & bring out cold drinks when they seem washed out. in return, they walk the can back up the driveway & leave it in the nook where no one can see it. AND it;s done with a bright smile, no less. we're lucky to have the same team of guys doing the run here, very hard working & professional. do you get the same ones too, or you prob don't notice?
What "nook" do you speak of? We don't have any place on our property that a trash can would be hidden either from the street or any neighbors on the sides and back of our home. We have no place to hide a trash can outside.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
We have a large plastic trash can with lid in the garage. A large black trash bag is used to line the inside of the can. On trash day we simply close and tie off the plastic bag, remove it from the can and drop the bag at the edge of the drive. Just that easy. No fuss, no mess, no bugs. Problem solved.
I've said this before......not everyone has room in their garage to store a large trash can. We did it for a couple of years but finally got rid of it. We have a large garage but it was nice to have room for other stuff. Some folks are not so lucky to have large garages. The standard garages in many of these homes barely fits two cars.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
If you go out 466A through Fruitland Park and see all the trash cans sitting and lying by the road, you will understand the NO TRASH CAN rule. Theirs are sitting out there days at a time. And you think this looks good.
I love the system we have now.
Absolutely agree. I much prefer not placing trash cans at the curb. Not everyone brings in their trash can as soon as the trash is picked up. With the plastic bags, the street is pristine again after the trash collection is done.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
I would just take Tuesday's trash to the mail station and put it in the garbage there that you're not supposed to put the junk mail in....
That is what we have done. This may be against the rules but it beats having mold, and maggots in the trash when we get home.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
In 18 years we have had perhaps one garbage bag bird attack
Seasonal for nearly seven years and full time for six years and have never had any of our bags broken open. Now I did it. Just watch, our trash bags will be attacked by critters on our next trash day. Darn!
Old 08-03-2022, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Same for us. Garbage pickup can be anywhere from before dawn to the middle of the afternoon. I always use the big plastic bags and haven't had problems with critters but a couple of people on our block who put their trash out in 13-gallon bags have had them raided by crows.

We always freeze the perishable stuff and put it in the bag just before we put it out.
Really? You freeze perishable trash in your freezer? I've never heard of that. What I do is wrap any perishables in aluminum foil and twist it tightly. There used to be an ad on TV for an aluminum foil product that a bear was not able to detect food in it. Works for me.

Last edited by coffeebean; 08-03-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
In the historic section we are allowed to put out garbage cans from what I understand. I try to only do bags for trash myself.
Wrong...read your community guidelines
Old 08-03-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Really? You freeze perishable trash in your freezer? I've never heard of that. What I do is wrap any perishables in aluminum foil and twist it tightly. There used to be an ad on TV for an aluminum foil product that a bear was not able to detect food in it. Works for me.
I do that too. Mainly for fishy stuff after meals. The sealant plastic it came with and foil I cook it in. Keeps house from smelling like fish.
Closed Thread

Tags
garbage, cans, put, bags, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.