Default Re: Gas or Electric Carts

. but it had more speed as well.

Don't forget speed limit for carts is 20 MPH
Tampa, FL
Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
Frank2 I told him that I guessed he would since he was a yamaha dealer. I thought about contacting Yamaha to see how they felt.
Bama,

Contacting Yahama is a good idea. I would be interested in knowing the manufacturer's response to that question.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista
. but it had more speed as well.

Don't forget speed limit for carts is 20 MPH
Yes I will remember that as they pass me while I am going 20 MPH
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Eternal Member

bubbalarry - I agree. When these carts whiz past me when I have the "pedal to the metal" at 19.5 MPH, I get a little upset. But then you read about these carts flipping over and running over curbs and you wonder where the smarts are. These are not toys or ATV or Go-Karts. They are GOLF CARTS with certain mechanical restrictions - brakes, points of turnover, etc. They are our personal mode of transportation and they should be treated that way. I doubt if the crash dummies would drive these carts like some of the people (I want to say idiots but don't want to be chastised again) do.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwho
bestmickey - go browse thru some of my earlier posts.. I made some reference to a company website that sold solar powered hybrid GC's... (I lost the website name)..
Thanks ripwho. :bigthumbsup: I have looked at the links that you and others have provided for the solar panels. I would like to hear some comments/recommendations from some of our friends from TOTV. I will trust our friends here more than I will trust the comments provided in retailers' websites.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Gold member

Spent several days driving a gas golf cart during a recent visit to TV. Having spent half a lifetime NOT enjoying a lawn tractor mainly because of the noise, barring other considerations an electric golf cart is way preferable. But in truth we haven't explored yet those other considerations....
Old 09-22-2007, 07:12 PM

Our maintenance guy recommended Club car for electric and Yamaha for gas. He said these makes hold up the best. As far as battery life it depends on use. If you do a lot of long trips and take battery down to low charge you'll greatly shorten battery life. Need to frequently charge and minimize long distance situations to maximize battery life. 4-5 years is normal battery life in Villages with good care (topping off level, recharge every day)
Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwater
Our maintenance guy recommended Club car for electric and Yamaha for gas. He said these makes hold up the best. As far as battery life it depends on use. If you do a lot of long trips and take battery down to low charge you'll greatly shorten battery life. Need to frequently charge and minimize long distance situations to maximize battery life. 4-5 years is normal battery life in Villages with good care (topping off level, recharge every day)
We have a Club car and have used it every day for going on two years. It already appears we are not getting the distance that we originally did when new and with TV growing it is getting to be a problem. We do charge it over night to a full charge but we were told not to charge it in between trips each day because it would confuse the computer chip and then it wouldn't give a full charge. It is getting to the point where my husband is considering a gas cart which I am dreading due to the noise and gas odor.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Happy Villager, We are considering buying a Club Car Precedent 48v electric. We were told about 40 miles on a charge. We were also told to plug it in when ever possible. Everything we have heard says that we should not drain the batteries to a real low point as this is what affects battery life. I appreciate your post and will look into the charging issue with club car. Do you like your Club Car otherwise, and approximatley how far do you go each day? Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM

With all the talk about gas vs. electric can we get some responses about the golf cart sales office in Sumter Landing? Is it a good place to look for a purchase? Are they fair and reasonable with the prices?

Should buyers beware about any sale practices/pitches to look out for?

I saw a new Yamaha 2007 gas with the bigger wheels with a high speed extra gear for under $ 8500.00.
My freind from TV said its a good buy but I am somewhat leary after reading the replies in this thread.

Price is not a concern quality is.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Eternal Member

For some of the posts - I was told by the Club Cart service to keep the cart plugged in when I wasn't using it. When I come home from a golf game or a trip, I plug the charger in and leave it. When the cart is charged, the charger shuts off. Simple as that.

When the batteries are new, the charge time is short. As the age increases, the charge takes longer. Every week I check the fluids and add as necessary - which is not every week. You buy a bottle of distilled water and a funnel and do what you have to do. This includes tightenng the battery nuts on a scheduled basis. This sounds like a lot of work but takes about 10 minutes every Saturday morning for me.

With gas, you have to keep a container of standby gas or drive down to the gas station every 200 miles (that is what I am told).

If you decide on gas verify what maintenance is required. I have some gas cart owners around me that cannot get them to run right and no one can figure out the problem. There is more things that can go wrong with a gas cart than an electric cart.

I am happy with electric and will not change. Maintenance is cheap and it costs me $450 every four years for batteries. Figure out the gas cost for four years and go from there.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Sage

What do you do with an electric when you are gone North (or West) for months during the summer?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Don't rule out the EZGO carts folks. There is a sales office in TV and a factory showroom just North of TV. Prices are normally a bit lower than Club Car and Yamaha, and certainly lower than Par Car. I am on my third new EZGO since moving to FL in mid-90's. Loved each of them. Each was electric. I saw a new EZGO gas yesterday and noticed it was considerably quieter than most other carts. I'd like to say that it also did not smell as bad as the other gas carts but I did notice a faint odor when it passed. Just not as bad as most of the others. When you live in TV you will find that you get to hate the gas carts when they drive by your home in the early morning hours or late evening hours. Should get the NOISE cops after them. :cop: :
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
Happy Villager, We are considering buying a Club Car Precedent 48v electric. We were told about 40 miles on a charge. We were also told to plug it in when ever possible. Everything we have heard says that we should not drain the batteries to a real low point as this is what affects battery life. I appreciate your post and will look into the charging issue with club car. Do you like your Club Car otherwise, and approximatley how far do you go each day? Thanks
Bama we will drive the cart anywhere from 20 - 30 miles on some days. Usually at most 20 miles daily. We do love our Club Car and it is a 48v electric. Also for an update the cart was just serviced this week and needed brake drums and pads along with the tune up. We are hoping to see the distance issue rectified and will let you know. Please share with us what you find out from Club Car re the charging issue. We go in and out so much during the day that we do not have time to plug the charger into the car and wait for it to get to a full charge. Our understanding, and what we were told by the maintenance person, that it has to come to a full charge and not interrupt the charge by unplugging and driving because of the computer that the car has.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Eternal Member

I have unplugged my 2002 Club Cart before the full charge and the yellow light comes on and then goes out. I have never had a problem with not getting where I wanted to. I just looked at the Owner's manual and there is no caution as to not pulling the charger plug out while it is charging.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.