Gas Grills

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Default Gas Grills

We used to live at the New Jersey shore and we needed to put away all items that could float or blow away when the Nor easters came. We are only able to come to TV 4 times a year for a week or two and wondered if it is safe to leave a gas grill outside when we are not in TV or it is better to roll into the garage and disconnect the gas source. We would like to grill when we are in TV and of course our renters could also use the grill. Did not want to create a safety issue either outside or inside, anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Sage

I wouldn't leave the propane tank indoors. I have a spare tank and leave it on my Lanai.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Your grill should be perfectly safe outdoors. You will want to secure your grill cover, if you have one. Most have velcro holders and some people use bungy cords to wrap them tight.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,442 Times in 2,430 Posts

You are advised in the event of a hurricane coming through central Florida to secure all objects that could become a missile. This would include grills, in 60mph winds.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Gold member

Now that we'll be snowbirds, we will move all outdoor and lanai furniture and grill into the garage when we leave in the spring. We've left it out up to now because we've always had some summer tenants, would have depended on our caretaker if a hurricane really threatened.

Summer visits, if any, will probably be by air, and we won't need the garage space for a car then - although I might move some of the lanai furniture back, and, maybe the grill if Ohioboy flies back with me, - at least that's the plan.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Gold member

There are a lot of variables involved.

How heavy is your grill? Mine is a large island grill and weighs about 400 pounds, so I'm not very concerned about it blowing away under normal conditions. I know someone who lost their (approx) 80 pound grill in the wind, not even a big storm. (Well, to be fair they really didn't loose it, but when they retrieved it the only function it performed was being entered into a scrap metal contest.)

Where is it placed? If it is in an area that is protected from the wind you might be at less risk for damage. If not do you have a neighbor who could move it into the garage when a storm is forecast?

If a hurricane is on the way I would probably roll mine into the garage, I've lived through enough hurricanes to see that things get moved around, like cars, buildings, and just about anything not bolted down.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Smile Gas Grills

Thanks for all the comments.I have not bought the grill yet but I think I will buy a good heavy grill. I have just committed to adding a concrete patio and birdcage along with a BBQ pad, I am going to call the contractor and ask if they can cast tie downs into the concrete, this should give additional protection during minor storms. Hadn't thought about talking to my caretaker. I guess I will put the grill in the garage when not in TV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.