Above ground swim spa questions

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Above ground swim spa questions

We have just bought a villa at the Haciendas at Mission Hills. We are intsalling a 30 x 50 bird cage. We have a lot of backyard and bird cage space. The dogs will enjoy the area outside (and inside) but we want to really make our birdcage useful and recreational. We are considering putting in an above ground swim spa and hot tub combo. Questions:
1. Does TV allow above ground swim spas and hot tubs? I do not believe above ground pools are allowed correct?
2. If anyone has the model where the swim spa and hot tub are separate but part of the same unit, how do you enjoy it?
3. Can you buy salt water swim spas?
4. What would you expect to pay for a large above ground swim spa hot tub?
5. We only have electricity, no gas. How much do you pay to heat?
6. Can you get enough enjoyment out of a swim spa since they are not pool length?
7. What bells and whistles are important on these spas and hot tubs?
8. Is installation usually separate from the acquisition cost?
9. What else am I not thinking about?
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 PM

The most important decision in purchasing a swim spa is choosing where you buy it. I have had several models over the last 20 years. They are all wonderful ,but, are problem prone. Every year without fail at least one repair is needed. I have had 3 control panels fail at considerable cost. Fortunately, the spa was under warranty each time. A three year warranty is typical when you purchase. Keep in mind the warranty is only as good as the vendor you purchase from. I have always purchased from a company that has been in business for more than 20 years and their repair department is quick and efficient. A friend purchased from a new company because she saved several hundred dollars but they were out of business the first time she needed a repair several years later. She had a terrible time finding a company that would do her repair work. I have the largest swim spa on the market. It's cost was just over 21 thousand which included installation and warranty. Chemical costs are very low compared to a pool.

Last edited by LoriAnn; 12-26-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My problem with swim spas is that the ones I have seen here when we were looking at resales, smelled HIGHLY of bleach. I suppose they must have to have a lot of bleach added because in essence they are like bathtubs that the water doesn't get changed...and they are warm. Great place for bacteria.

I know that is kinda odd to think, but for that reason, I am not a fan.

Water doesn't get changed in a swimming pool either but they don't smell so bleachy.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Gold member
Default The Local Pools

Gracie,

We had a large Hot Tub once! Left it with the home. Ruth got tired of playing Chemist trying to keep it clean.

I would think a swin spa would require a Pool company to keep in great shape?

I was impressed how clean our local pool was kept compared to community " BLEACH " pools up here.

Is this the norm? The water felt nice not full of Chlorine!

H
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Default call for a free quote and questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We have just bought a villa at the Haciendas at Mission Hills. We are intsalling a 30 x 50 bird cage. We have a lot of backyard and bird cage space. The dogs will enjoy the area outside (and inside) but we want to really make our birdcage useful and recreational. We are considering putting in an above ground swim spa and hot tub combo. Questions:
1. Does TV allow above ground swim spas and hot tubs? I do not believe above ground pools are allowed correct?
2. If anyone has the model where the swim spa and hot tub are separate but part of the same unit, how do you enjoy it?
6. Can you get enough enjoyment out of a swim spa since they are not pool length?
Thanks!
Call Clermont Pools and Spas for any questions on a swim spa and pricing. We would loove to serve you 352-243-7665 Thanks, Kelly
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Default Answers Please

Quote:
Thanks!
Need someone's help with the question about "are above ground pools allowed". We are looking at a pre-owned villa and there is room for a pool, but don't see how an in-ground pool could be constructed. So, we were thinking about maybe an above-ground. Are they allowed?

We are getting close to changing from gonnabees to frogs, so looking at options to pre-owned courtyard villas.

Thanks folks!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Gold member

John, Above ground swim spas are allowed. They have to be approved ahead of time by the Architectural review committee. If you look at my post above, you will see we had apporval for the Michael Phelps swim spa which is 19 ft long and about 8 ft wide and about 4 or a bit more tall. So pretty big for a swim spa. There are NO rules on above ground swim spas but they must be pre approved. Now for pools, I have heard mixed comments but I am not sure that above ground pools are allowed, maybe because they are deeper than a swim spa. I got mine approved in a week. Jane
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Gold member

Also, sorry to write twice, we have to have a crane hired the day the spa is delivered to hoist it over our Hacienda villa and place it in the yard on the concrete pad. we are having a bird cage put up, about 30 x 50, and will keep part of it open until the spa goes in. I am sure this will be a "Village" event, I have already had someone ask me if I will let them know when this occurs because they want to watch! I am going to fly in from Seattle to oversee this!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Also, sorry to write twice, we have to have a crane hired the day the spa is delivered to hoist it over our Hacienda villa and place it in the yard on the concrete pad. we are having a bird cage put up, about 30 x 50, and will keep part of it open until the spa goes in. I am sure this will be a "Village" event, I have already had someone ask me if I will let them know when this occurs because they want to watch! I am going to fly in from Seattle to oversee this!!!
From the location, I'm taking it you are buying a new villa. Is the swim/spa being installed before the fences are put up? Am I correct that your swim/spa is above ground?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but just want to be sure that "what I think you said is what you actually said"!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Gold member

We bought a new villa at the Haciendas. The first one on the view side with the red roof. The fences are up. The crane will actually lift the swim spa over the house and place it on rollers in the back yard and then it will be rolled into place in the birdcage. The birdcage will not be completely finished until after the swim spa arrives. The villa itself is finished with all the white fencing in place. Does that make sense? That is why it will be interesting to watch. This huge swimspa will be suspended in air and placed over the villa. I know I will be a wreck watching! It is an 80 amp. We could have done a 50 amp but it is a big swimspa with propulsion
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.