Gas range emissions

Old 04-25-2024, 10:02 AM

In Missouri our gas range has no vent (we replaced an electric with Gas last year). You might check state law. More importantly is to have your house checked for leaks by the gas company. Should be free.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Do other members of your household have trouble breathing when using the oven or is it just you? If so, it may be an allergic reaction to what may be harmless odors. Just one possible explanation.
If a person is having an allergic reaction, it is by DEFINITION harmful (to them).
Old 04-25-2024, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,872 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
From Google

it legal to have a gas stove without a vent?
There's no national code for gas venting in the United States. Generally, in the U.S., you don't have to vent a residential gas range to the outside. But, we recommend that you buy a range hood to vent contaminants from your gas range to outside your home.
A lot of older houses are so leaky that fumes from a stove will dissipate. However, for several decades, homes have been made much tighter, what with better weatherstripping. While the national building code does NOT require ventilation for a gas range (California does), it’s an excellent idea. The chemicals released by burning gas and cooking food leave smells that can linger for hours, and some of them are not good for your lungs.

The ventilation above stoves most often found in The Villages is combined with a microwave oven, and that just filters out grease and blows the rest into the room. That’s not good enough for gas, and I don’t think it’s even good enough for electric. I like foods like broccoli, but I hate the smell. The ventilation for a gas stove should go outside, either through the attic or out the side. It should be 600 cubic feet per minute or more for gas. If you have a vent that sucks out 300 cubic feet a minute or more, then you also need a vent with a damper that will let fresh replacement air be sucked into the house from outside. Without that, the fan won’t work properly.

These fans aren’t cheap, and installing them isn’t cheap. Get Pike Electric to do it. They do great work. You can also get them to rewire for an electric stove. They are very reasonable.

I don’t have a range hood, as I don’t do much cooking except with the microwave oven, so I had a very quiet 190 cubic foot exhaust fan (Panasonic) installed near the stove in the ceiling, and that vents through a 4” hole in the eaves, like the bathroom exhaust fans. It’s on a timer. I also have a 4” vent for make-up air. When I cook something that will smell up the house all day, I turn on that exhaust fan for an hour, and it sucks out the smells.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:49 PM

Do gas ranges require venting? (And Our Recommendation).
Old 04-25-2024, 02:50 PM

Do gas ranges require venting? (And Our Recommendation).

Stove needs to be vented to the outside!!
Old 04-25-2024, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If a person is having an allergic reaction, it is by DEFINITION harmful (to them).
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is considering a nationwide ban on NEW gas stoves, which are a source of childhood asthma. 13% is caused by gas stoves. If you switch from gas to electric, you are eligible for up to $840 through the Inflation Reduction Act.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
Coming to the TOTV brain trust once again. Bought a new range. Wanted a double oven and had a Samsung electric range w/ double oven in 2 prior residences. Here in TV, we don't have electric hook up for our range, and the cost of installing electric is pretty high these days. So we bought the Samsung gas equivalent.

When using the range on convection setting (which is the only option for one of the double ovens), whatever is being emitted in the way of fumes or smell or whatever you want to call it makes is difficult for me to breath. Obviously making the oven unusable. When using the other oven in normal mode, we run all the fans in the house and open the front and back door to create a cross breeze. Even this procedure doesn't resolve the issue with using the convection setting.

We started trying to return the oven inside of 30 days of purchase, when we realized this wasn't just initial use burn-off. Home Depot wouldn't authorize the return. Samsung won't either.

At this point, we know it's going to be junked and replaced.

What I am looking for is any experience you have with reporting a product safety issue. I have a case open with U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission; they don't seem to be interested, but I am staying focused with them.

Any other ideas?
Don’t buy any Samsung kitchen appliances! My daughter found out the hard way when she bought a fridge with bottom freezer and ice maker in the door. It was a disaster and Lowes wouldn’t stand behind the product and they had to deal with Samsung which offered no help for their faulty fridge not even some kind of compensation or credit towards another purchase. Samsung should stick to making TVs.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Don’t buy any Samsung kitchen appliances! My daughter found out the hard way when she bought a fridge with bottom freezer and ice jmaker in the door. It was a disaster and Lowes wouldn’t stand behind the product and they had to deal with Samsung which offered no help for their faulty fridge not even some kind of compensation or credit towards another purchase. Samsung should stick to making TVs.
I wouldn’t buy Samsung TV either.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:32 AM

Gas first responder for 36 years. The normal products of combustion if a gas range is properly installed and clean are carbon dioxide and water vapor both of which are harmless. There are oils installed to protect oven flame pans and spreaders during shipping, usually vegetable based oil which will smoke in the first hour or so of operation then it will burn off. There are odors which are also harmless that can be caused from contaminated primary combustion air on which oil-based products can be processed through the flame and it creates an odor that smells like kerosene. Once the oil-based contamination is removed this odor will go away a common source can be plug in air fresheners, paints, solvents, stains, varnishes and water proofing materials but there are endless others. I would imagine TECO checked for gas leaks and carbon monoxide which can only be created by a lack of primary air or impingement of the flame. Finally, and probably most likely are that you either have a sensitivity to the sulfur content in the water vapor or there are some who have an ability to smell normal biproducts of combustion if they have never been exposed to it and have lived in all electric or alternative energy source homes. Couple side opinions Samsung appliances ugh...This country has enough natural gas to fuel the world for hundreds of years and was the clean burning alternative to coal and oil that has made our air some of the cleanest in the world don't fall for agenda-based propaganda from those who have agendas that weaken our leadership in the world. Many Blessings and sorry for your difficulties.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
Gas first responder for 36 years.

A common source can be plug in air fresheners, paints, solvents, stains, varnishes and water proofing materials but there are endless others.

Great info!

I hope replacement solves the OP's problem.

It's interesting the odor was only noticed in convection mode. Maybe related to the confection fan motor insulation outgassing?.

Last edited by Altavia; 04-26-2024 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
Gas first responder for 36 years. The normal products of combustion if a gas range is properly installed and clean are carbon dioxide and water vapor both of which are harmless. There are oils installed to protect oven flame pans and spreaders during shipping, usually vegetable based oil which will smoke in the first hour or so of operation then it will burn off. There are odors which are also harmless that can be caused from contaminated primary combustion air on which oil-based products can be processed through the flame and it creates an odor that smells like kerosene. Once the oil-based contamination is removed this odor will go away a common source can be plug in air fresheners, paints, solvents, stains, varnishes and water proofing materials but there are endless others. I would imagine TECO checked for gas leaks and carbon monoxide which can only be created by a lack of primary air or impingement of the flame. Finally, and probably most likely are that you either have a sensitivity to the sulfur content in the water vapor or there are some who have an ability to smell normal biproducts of combustion if they have never been exposed to it and have lived in all electric or alternative energy source homes. Couple side opinions Samsung appliances ugh...This country has enough natural gas to fuel the world for hundreds of years and was the clean burning alternative to coal and oil that has made our air some of the cleanest in the world don't fall for agenda-based propaganda from those who have agendas that weaken our leadership in the world. Many Blessings and sorry for your difficulties.
I think that the information about oil-based initial contamination has a lot of merit. What I disagree about is the statement of "agenda-based propaganda". We as individuals have NO CAPACITY to test for negative effects from gas stoves on children and allergy-prone adults. But, the Consumer Protection Safety Commission DOES have THAT VERY capability and they find that gas stoves CAUSE 13% of childhood asthma.
Yes, lots of master cooks prefer gas stoves. Yes, 87% of children may not be affected negatively. Yes, the US has lots of natural gas. But, we can burn natural gas to produce electricity at a location far away from the homes of the 13% of children adversely affected. And the US has a lot of electricity producing capacity even without nuclear reactors, which are NOW very safe.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think that the information about oil-based initial contamination has a lot of merit. What I disagree about is the statement of "agenda-based propaganda". We as individuals have NO CAPACITY to test for negative effects from gas stoves on children and allergy-prone adults. But, the Consumer Protection Safety Commission DOES have THAT VERY capability and they find that gas stoves CAUSE 13% of childhood asthma.
Yes, lots of master cooks prefer gas stoves. Yes, 87% of children may not be affected negatively. Yes, the US has lots of natural gas. But, we can burn natural gas to produce electricity at a location far away from the homes of the 13% of children adversely affected. And the US has a lot of electricity producing capacity even without nuclear reactors, which are NOW very safe.
If you read the study, it was based on a series of rowhouses with no ventilation.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,287 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is considering a nationwide ban on NEW gas stoves, which are a source of childhood asthma. 13% is caused by gas stoves. If you switch from gas to electric, you are eligible for up to $840 through the Inflation Reduction Act.
Quote:
ONE questionable study in Australia found that 12.7% number...

But I'm sure you'll be citing it ad infinitum from now on...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-26-2024, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,287 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
If you read the study, it was based on a series of rowhouses with no ventilation.
LIke that matters...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-26-2024, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
LIke that matters...
Revenge of the"D" students...

Tags
oven, range, samsung, electric, double

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.