Gas range emissions

Old 04-24-2024, 09:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,762 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Gas appliance exhaust should be vented to the outside just like a gas water heater or furnace and gas dryer.
Right ! Can't imagine why this would not have happened here ? Lived in several states, have always used gas stoves, including convection ovens, and have never seen one NOT vented ? ? Something seems wrong here. Are you the original owner of the home ? If not, do you have the history of who the builder was, for instance West was one of the major contractors 16-20 years ago, you should be able to get this fixed without a law suit to Samsung, I suspect someone slipped up on the construction inspections for the occupancy certification. I'd contact TECO, they did our inspection, and also did the inspection after the recent installation of our new gas furnace.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:26 AM

If you care for a genuine report, rather than all of our speculation (much of it wise, but maybe not as exact as you need), contact Frank D'Angelo. His business is home warranty inspections and he certainly knows what to expect, and the construction practices of the various builders. I'm sure he will be able to diagnose the problem.

As an aside... my quandary is the opposite of yours. We've always had gas ranges, but our village, Chitty Chatty has no gas service for any of the homes. So, we have electric and I'm still getting used to scorching things. Our frequent "emissions" are from burnt offerings. Best luck with finding your answer.

Last edited by bobeaston; 04-25-2024 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added the "aside" paragraph.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

I replaced our piece of junk new gas range with the top of the line Samsung gas range. You are supposed to cook a sheet of rolls the 1st time you use it so the rolls will suck up the fumes. After this, stove doesn’t smell. You know it’s under warranty for a year or 2. Call them as many times as it takes to fix it
Old 04-25-2024, 05:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

Article on venting,

Why Does A Home Gas Range Not Have To Be Vented? -
Old 04-25-2024, 05:10 AM

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? If you don’t you should.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:46 AM

Who installs range hoods in TV ?
Old 04-25-2024, 06:03 AM
Default You guys rock ...

As I suspected, I am getting a lot of great perspective and advice.

To answer some of the questions:
. We have a vent in our microwave above the range and it vents outside - I use it, and create a cross breeze in the house whenever the range is on; when in convection mode, even that isn't enough and the fumes are still strong and effect me
. We've had 2 Samsung tech visit the house and assess the situation. Both agreed they smell the fumes and it's well past the burn-off stage. They said there is no fix nor adjustment they can make. It's working ... wait for it ... you've heard this before ... "as designed". They are walking a line here, and implied the design is poor but of course could not say it directly.
. This disaster of a range replaced a single oven gas range that didn't have this problem so I know there are gas ranges that work properly out there. Samsung just didn't make one.
. We are junking it (instead of donating it) because I wouldn't wish the range on my worst enemy.

Thanks Bob for the recommendation and name of the home warranty professional. That's exactly what I was hoping to get as a result of this post. And I wish we could switch ranges with you, but I like you and never would do that to you.

And thanks to everyone for your perspectives. TOTV comes through again. Good questions and sound advice.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:25 AM

I've had my new gas range going on 2 years. When the news came out last year about these possibly stirring up asthma I was a little concerned since I have very mild asthma that rarely comes around and it never made it worse. I've done the overhead fan thing at times but recently don't even use that. I'm used to the light smell when standing near it. I don't smell it when I'm over 5 feet away. The stinkier gas smell when I turn the knob and it clicks, misses, then lights after a few tries eventually goes away. I have a gas detector in the house that never went off yet. I've been comfortable cooking with gas for a while now so not particularly worried. Gas bill is around $20 a month.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
As I suspected, I am getting a lot of great perspective and advice.

To answer some of the questions:
. We have a vent in our microwave above the range and it vents outside - I use it, and create a cross breeze in the house whenever the range is on; when in convection mode, even that isn't enough and the fumes are still strong and effect me
. We've had 2 Samsung tech visit the house and assess the situation. Both agreed they smell the fumes and it's well past the burn-off stage. They said there is no fix nor adjustment they can make. It's working ... wait for it ... you've heard this before ... "as designed". They are walking a line here, and implied the design is poor but of course could not say it directly.
. This disaster of a range replaced a single oven gas range that didn't have this problem so I know there are gas ranges that work properly out there. Samsung just didn't make one.
. We are junking it (instead of donating it) because I wouldn't wish the range on my worst enemy.

Thanks Bob for the recommendation and name of the home warranty professional. That's exactly what I was hoping to get as a result of this post. And I wish we could switch ranges with you, but I like you and never would do that to you.

And thanks to everyone for your perspectives. TOTV comes through again. Good questions and sound advice.
Could it be because it's a convection oven? A convection oven uses fans to blow the heat around which would also blow the gas smell around. We've had gas ovens before and never had this problem.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
When we stayed in Newell on our Lifestyle Visit, as I recall, it seemed as if the microwave above the range had a vent. I did not study it, but I assumed it was only a filter device that did not vent to the outside.
The microwave vent vented outside, just like a regular vent above a stove should. It wasn't to vent the actual microwave, it's had a built in vent because when it;s above the stove it's replacing the stove vent.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Right ! Can't imagine why this would not have happened here ? Lived in several states, have always used gas stoves, including convection ovens, and have never seen one NOT vented ? ? Something seems wrong here. Are you the original owner of the home ? If not, do you have the history of who the builder was, for instance West was one of the major contractors 16-20 years ago, you should be able to get this fixed without a law suit to Samsung, I suspect someone slipped up on the construction inspections for the occupancy certification. I'd contact TECO, they did our inspection, and also did the inspection after the recent installation of our new gas furnace.
I've always had gas ranges and the only one that is vented is the one in my Airstream trailer. Never had a vented one in my houses.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Coming to the TOTV brain trust once again. Bought a new range. Wanted a double oven and had a Samsung electric range w/ double oven in 2 prior residences. Here in TV, we don't have electric hook up for our range, and the cost of installing electric is pretty high these days. So we bought the Samsung gas equivalent.

When using the range on convection setting (which is the only option for one of the double ovens), whatever is being emitted in the way of fumes or smell or whatever you want to call it makes is difficult for me to breath. Obviously making the oven unusable. When using the other oven in normal mode, we run all the fans in the house and open the front and back door to create a cross breeze. Even this procedure doesn't resolve the issue with using the convection setting.

We started trying to return the oven inside of 30 days of purchase, when we realized this wasn't just initial use burn-off. Home Depot wouldn't authorize the return. Samsung won't either.

At this point, we know it's going to be junked and replaced.

What I am looking for is any experience you have with reporting a product safety issue. I have a case open with U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission; they don't seem to be interested, but I am staying focused with them.

Any other ideas?
It's probably just the burn off smell.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:13 AM

If you put the purchase on a credit card, contact them. Most of the time you have product protection through the credit card company. I ran into the same problem with a GE refrigerator that didn't work properly. When I contacted Lowe's about it is when I found out they (and Home Depot and Best Buy) have a 48 hour return policy. I contacted my credit card company who reimbursed me fully.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Coming to the TOTV brain trust once again. Bought a new range. Wanted a double oven and had a Samsung electric range w/ double oven in 2 prior residences. Here in TV, we don't have electric hook up for our range, and the cost of installing electric is pretty high these days. So we bought the Samsung gas equivalent.

When using the range on convection setting (which is the only option for one of the double ovens), whatever is being emitted in the way of fumes or smell or whatever you want to call it makes is difficult for me to breath. Obviously making the oven unusable. When using the other oven in normal mode, we run all the fans in the house and open the front and back door to create a cross breeze. Even this procedure doesn't resolve the issue with using the convection setting.

We started trying to return the oven inside of 30 days of purchase, when we realized this wasn't just initial use burn-off. Home Depot wouldn't authorize the return. Samsung won't either.

At this point, we know it's going to be junked and replaced.

What I am looking for is any experience you have with reporting a product safety issue. I have a case open with U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission; they don't seem to be interested, but I am staying focused with them.

Any other ideas?
You should have an exhaust fan over your stove, gas or electric! If not it's a problem with the house not your stove!!
Old 04-25-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I replaced our piece of junk new gas range with the top of the line Samsung gas range. You are supposed to cook a sheet of rolls the 1st time you use it so the rolls will suck up the fumes. After this, stove doesn’t smell. You know it’s under warranty for a year or 2. Call them as many times as it takes to fix it
Exhaust fan!!

Tags
oven, range, samsung, electric, double

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.