Gas vs Electric cooking.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:46 AM

We've used both. Turns out we prefer electric because it puts less heat into the kitchen. And we notice that the handles on the pots and pans do not get as hot.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,302 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshuler View Post
Whats nice about gas stoves is you don’t have to clean them — since they cannot be cleaned. Just buy a new one.

Seriously though. Buy the electric oven but first check if you have a 50 amp outlet behind the stove. A villager reported it cost $800 to have an electrician run a 50 Amp circuit to the stove.

I notice gas stoves in all the new homes. This is undoubtedly due to saving the $800 for the circuit. $800 x 1100 home sales is serious money.

If you have the coin check out induction electric glass cook tops. They heat up quickly and you can even put your hand on the glass and it will be cool. Its science..
Do you really believe that TV is paying an electrician the same $800 that an individual homeowner pays?

Remember, they have these people on contract, installing thousands of outlets, light fixtures, running electric lines etc, etc, etc...

It's not a cost cutting measure...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-27-2024, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblossombaby View Post
definitely gas. To heat up a gas stove: Turn it on. To heat up an electric stove: Turn it on, and wait. To heat up an old electric stove: Turn it on, wait, wait some more, wait some more, turn it off, turn on the other burner, wait some more, wait some more.

To cool down the cooktop of a gas stove: Turn it off. To cool down the cooktop of an electric stove: Turn it off, wait, wait some more, wait some more, wait some more.

If you have all 4 burners on an electric stove going at the same time and need to take the pan off one of them because the dish you're cooking is finished and you don't want to burn it, there's no place to put it. If you have the same situation on a gas stove, just turn that burner off.
Exactly!
Old 04-27-2024, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Convection hobs heat up and cool down far quicker than either gas or conventional electric hobs.
No contest.
Are those induction cook tops? Don't you need special cookware for them?
Old 04-27-2024, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshuler View Post
Whats nice about gas stoves is you don’t have to clean them — since they cannot be cleaned. Just buy a new one.

Seriously though. Buy the electric oven but first check if you have a 50 amp outlet behind the stove. A villager reported it cost $800 to have an electrician run a 50 Amp circuit to the stove.

I notice gas stoves in all the new homes. This is undoubtedly due to saving the $800 for the circuit. $800 x 1100 home sales is serious money.

If you have the coin check out induction electric glass cook tops. They heat up quickly and you can even put your hand on the glass and it will be cool. Its science..
No thanks. Glass cook tops crack. I know a couple of people who had to deal with that. I can never be that gentle when I'm cooking. My gas stove grates are indestructible. I like it that way.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,700 Times in 456 Posts

As someone who enjoys cooking, I would sorely miss a gas top stove. It’s needed to make the perfect omelet. A home with a gas stove was a “must” for me when moving to TV.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Are we talking stove tops or ovens? If ovens, I don't care. If stove tops - natural gas all day long. Not propane (slightly sooty smoke when propane is burnt). Like someone else mentioned, turn it on, instant heat at a constant temperature.

More importantly, we (well, Mrs EDJ) make a fair amount of our meals in the form of Mexican food. For that, you need tortillas. While the best way to get a nice cook on those is in oil on a cast iron plancha, the second best and fastest and least messy way is on a gas burner. Electric not so much.

Our "up North" place has only electric or propane options, so we opted for an induction. Far superior to electric, however, a bit of a second place to natural gas.

YMMV, My .02, etc.
My mother used to cook bell peppers on the open flame of the gas stove. She would peel the black skins off the peppers after they were cooked and made a cold pepper salad with olive oil and seasonings. Oh, so good! You can not do that on an electric stove. Not sure about an induction stove but I think not. I prefer gas. I have never tried this but I'll bet you can cook marshmallows over a gas burner.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,444 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Are those induction cook tops? Don't you need special cookware for them?
Steel pans are fine, iron based will work.
We bought new as our previous pans were non-compatible.
A lot of cookware these days is induction compatible.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:21 AM
Default Cooking alternative

We prefer gas stove tops, but electric ovens. Go figure......
Here is another idea. We bought a med size air fryer just to try it. We now own three of them, one of which is a larger, and more expensive, convection oven/air fryer combo.
We keep them on a movable "island" in the Lanai. We still use the gas top for pans and liquids, but we use the air fryers for cooking anything from fresh corn to prime rib. Fast, convenient, and we like the results once we got the hang of it. I'll admit it's a different kind of cooking, but we caught on to it quickly.

We have two of these from Amazon, but Walmart has a good selection: Ultrean Air Fryer, 4.5 Quart Electric Hot Air Fryers Oven Cooker with Deluxe Temperature and Time Knob, Non-Stick Basket,50 Recipes, UL Certified, 1-Y
Old 04-28-2024, 04:45 AM

Induction is better than and out performs anything. However, only if you do not go cheap. You need to buy Bosch in order to have the power, the size ("coil" size UNDER the glass which you can not see with your eyes), and dependability. You also must own high-quality pots and pans where a magnet will stick to the bottom. All of this gets expensive, but the cooking experience is night and day.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Gas anything makes me nervous. No such problem with electric
Old 04-28-2024, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
Gas by far a much greater control of heat almost instant temperature changes, all good cooks prefer gas cooking appliances,
Old 04-28-2024, 06:17 AM

Like many others I grew up with a gas stove and it took me a while to get use to cooking on electric.
Once I got use to it there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.
Though I do like that electric simply because it's easier to clean.
Your next step is to move on to sous vide less need for stove top cooking.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:23 AM
Default Gas vs electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I grew up in a home in NY with a gas stove so that is all I knew when I ventured out on my own. That is when I had experience with electric stoves. I knew I preferred gas with my first experience with electric stove in an apartment then in a home that did not have natural gas. I will always prefer gas to electric. One of the criteria when moving to The Villages was I had to have a gas stove. I'm very happy our current home has natural gas.

Maybe the electric stoves of today are better at being able to adjust the heat but that was always the downside for me with electric. Another downside was that the heat did not immediately dissipate when the electric element was turned off. With a gas stove, you turn off the flame and the heat is gone right away.
We have an electric range with an induction cooktop. It has changed my opinion on gas cooktop cooking. Immediate heat and quicker control, no smell and clean up is a snap. I have a beautiful gas range up north and dread the huge cleanup every time I cook.

And, heat up and lower heat time is slower using gas.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:25 AM
Default it depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
The correct answer is both. If you use gas for the cooktop, it (gas) can be instantly controlled. So cooking a can of soup on the stovetop works best with gas.
However, an oven/ convection oven works best with electric as the temperature in the oven will stay more stable than with a gas oven. and your food will be ready following the instruction on the box.
So the answer is both. A good appliance store will have these, while Best Buy or Lowes may not have these. Go to consumers Report and take a look.

Tags
gas, years, electric, ovens, explosions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.