Gas vs Electric cooking.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:49 PM
Default Best Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplspete View Post
several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, i don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

i would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs e. (but i'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer e.)
gas.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Personally, I gotta disagree. I do have a Bosch induction, and while it is far better than electric, it is still not the live flame, precise control, instant even temperature way to cook. Especially roasting the peppers (yes thanks Coffeebean, we do that also) and toasting tortillas. Induction might be fine for the French or gringos or whomever fancies themselves Chefs (Cheves?), but not for us
You're welcome! Great childhood memories of those peppers being roasted on the gas stove.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
We use convection hob. More than happy with it.
Superfast heating and heat control, and very safe for when younger grandchildren are around.
Ours are all grown up now, but that was one of the reasons we went with the system many years ago.

PS. Recently found out, not recommend for cooks with heart pacemaker fitted.
Evidently can interfere with device if within 2-3 feet of cooker.
Upside is, you do not have to cook anymore!
And convection is the safest way to cook, no flame and no hot surface. Love ours
Old 04-28-2024, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The only gas appliances that might still work are the water heater and the stove top and even the stove top is questionable if it has an electric ignitor.

If all I can use is the stove top then, as others have suggested, I will cook on the propane grill outside instead of heating up the house.

Then again, in the six years I have owned here I have had one power outage of more than a few minutes and even that lasted less than three hours.
When the igniter is not working on a gas stove due to a power outage, use one of these to light your gas stove (link below). Turn on the gas stove knob and place the flame from the Bic where it will catch. Wha La....flame to cook on your gas stove with a power outage. Turn off the gas stove know like normal when finished cooking.

Bic Multi-purpose Lighter 2pk : Target
Old 04-28-2024, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
Expert cooks prefer gas. The average person is probably better off using electric.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
When the igniter is not working on a gas stove due to a power outage, use one of these to light your gas stove (link below). Turn on the gas stove knob and place the flame from the Bic where it will catch. Wha La....flame to cook on your gas stove with a power outage. Turn off the gas stove know like normal when finished cooking.

Use a match? Now why didn't I think of that? Oh, that's right, I did think of that. I also thought of asking google if I can use my gas stove during a power outage. Two of the things google told me are below.

You may be able to light the flame yourself to use your gas stovetop without power. Before you attempt to do this by hand, make sure you read instructions on how to do so safely. Some newer models of gas stoves have a safety feature that will prevent you from starting the pilot light by hand. Look at the owners’ manual for your gas stovetop to find more information.
While older stoves may be usable during a power outage, most new models will not be. Before trying to cook with your gas stove, check your range’s manual to see whether it includes an interlock. The interlock is a feature that prevents any gas from entering the appliance unless there is electricity. It is a safety device that was once common only to commercial ranges but now is common in residential ones. If your oven has an interlock, check out the other ways to cook during a power outage below.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-28-2024, 03:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
I prefer electric induction cooking to gas. It has the benefits of gas like control of temperature, but does not create CO and heat stops when you turn it off. Cooking is VERY fast. This type of cooking is used by professional chefs. The down side is cookware must handle high temperatures (400 plus degrees) so you replace torched cookware more frequently. Water boils so fast that you need to watch it or it boils over fast. We are spoiled by IDC.
I understand the CO thing but the only way you’ll control CO is if the whole world does it because EV cars runoff of batteries & batteries give off lots of gas, so it beats the purpose. I just think our govt. is getting way before it’s time.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:

If you were a welder with gas, you could use your regular snap sparker to light the gas burner.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Use a match? Now why didn't I think of that? Oh, that's right, I did think of that. I also thought of asking google if I can use my gas stove during a power outage. Two of the things google told me are below.

You may be able to light the flame yourself to use your gas stovetop without power. Before you attempt to do this by hand, make sure you read instructions on how to do so safely. Some newer models of gas stoves have a safety feature that will prevent you from starting the pilot light by hand. Look at the owners’ manual for your gas stovetop to find more information.
While older stoves may be usable during a power outage, most new models will not be. Before trying to cook with your gas stove, check your range’s manual to see whether it includes an interlock. The interlock is a feature that prevents any gas from entering the appliance unless there is electricity. It is a safety device that was once common only to commercial ranges but now is common in residential ones. If your oven has an interlock, check out the other ways to cook during a power outage below.
Good to know. I haven't experienced a power outage yet with this stove so now I'm wondering if the old method would work. I'm too lazy to get out the owner's manual now but will surely do that if and when we do have a power outage. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:56 PM

I have used both I like electric better. I guess it’s just my opinion
Old 04-28-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
Induction
Old 04-29-2024, 02:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
I think you mean induction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
Maybe it's different in the UK
Senior moment!
Induction it is. Updated post. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Good to know. I haven't experienced a power outage yet with this stove so now I'm wondering if the old method would work. I'm too lazy to get out the owner's manual now but will surely do that if and when we do have a power outage. Thank you.
Lol, and read it with what light?
Old 04-29-2024, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,323 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Gas by far a much greater control of heat almost instant temperature changes, all good cooks prefer gas cooking appliances,
No longer true......induction gives you the same instant control of the heat and more good cooks are starting to recognize the advantage. Mostly, it's what you are comfortable with, grew up with and how adverse people are to progress and looking at new technology.....and that's ok....since we all need to live in our comfort zones.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-30-2024, 04:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Lol, and read it with what light?
A flash light is a must during a power outage. I also have a neat battery operated gizmo that attaches to a book so you can read during a power outage.

Tags
gas, years, electric, ovens, explosions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.