Gas vs Electric cooking.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensor17 View Post
If i could turn back time. I'd find a new home with gas range, gas dryer, gas heat. And indoors laundry room.

Not in villages, developers builders like sticking half room, air handler, water heater, and washer and dryer in garage and them call it 1 1/2 garage in majority of houses.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I like gas. Electric is just ok, but in the rare instance when the electricity goes out, you'll find that the gas still works.
That's when I go out, too! If the AC is off no way would I want to heat up a stove of any kind, especially gas, to cook. If absolutely, positively necessary we have a propane grill out back.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Definitely gas, it’s instant heat, also cheaper! Electric will just raise electric bills a lot higher than they are. I really think they want us to be dependent on electric. Bad idea!
Old 04-28-2024, 09:31 AM

I prefer electric induction cooking to gas. It has the benefits of gas like control of temperature, but does not create CO and heat stops when you turn it off. Cooking is VERY fast. This type of cooking is used by professional chefs. The down side is cookware must handle high temperatures (400 plus degrees) so you replace torched cookware more frequently. Water boils so fast that you need to watch it or it boils over fast. We are spoiled by IDC.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I like gas. Electric is just ok, but in the rare instance when the electricity goes out, you'll find that the gas still works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Gas, you can still cook when the power goes out.
The only gas appliances that might still work are the water heater and the stove top and even the stove top is questionable if it has an electric ignitor.

If all I can use is the stove top then, as others have suggested, I will cook on the propane grill outside instead of heating up the house.

Then again, in the six years I have owned here I have had one power outage of more than a few minutes and even that lasted less than three hours.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-28-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Are those induction cook tops? Don't you need special cookware for them?
Yes, you need cookware that a magnet will stick to on the bottom. Cast iron and stainless steel pans usually fit that bill. I have enameled cast iron.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Several thread currently exist with a theme about gas ranges and ovens.
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
I lived super rural for 10 years. I prefer cooking over a wood fire, in a cast iron stove.

Here i have gas. Don't like it. It's dangerous. Especially since there's a sinkhole risk.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
I think you mean induction
Maybe it's different in the UK
Old 04-28-2024, 10:33 AM
Default Gas V Electric u

Quote:
Got me thinking. What do you like better?

I grew up with and only experienced gas ovens for about 50 years. Then, with great trepidation we bought an electric range. After using it for about ten years, I don't see any advantage to gas, and several disadvantages. Namely, dirty pots, difficulty moving the device for cleaning, etc., the (okay, rare) possibility of explosions (a home 1/2 mile from blew up three days ago!)

I would like to hear other people's opinions. G vs E. (But I'm most interested in feedback from people, like me, who have used both. I prefer E.)
I have only used electric unless at my daughters. I hate everything about gas. I am handicapped and can’t lift the grates to clean the top. Just wish I had an electric plug also. They really should have both so you’re not locked in to something you don’t want to have.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
All this talk about cooking in kitchen in villages? I thought majority eat out in villages?
Where is the best place to hide a present? In the oven of course!
Old 04-28-2024, 11:47 AM
Default Use both G and E. Prefer gas overall. Some cooking methods better with G vs E

Quote:
Got me thinking. What do you like better?...

I enjoyed all the comments on cooking in the prior posts. In my opinion Gas or Electric are fine for most people to do routine cooking tasks. Do not change out your unit unless you really want something different or want what you were using in a prior house.

Enjoy your food! I Especially like to cook and used it as a hobby for relaxation so years ago I installed a professional kitchen at my house up North. The kitchen had a commercial 4 gas burner Viking Range with an oversized gas oven, a quarter size gas warming oven, a griddle and and grill section. There was a commercial exhaust hood. Additionally, on a side wall was an electric Viking convection oven. The 2 ovens had 1500 deg broilers (one gas and the other electric). There was a warming drawer below and a commercial speed cook oven above ( GE Advantium).

I've noticed the comments above are in relation to the types of food that you cook. But cooking is just heat and how it is delivered. You could never make fine sauces or some other special recipes without the temperature control of gas (or at least it is easier) and the sear/charring is tops. Open fires and gas have been around forever so many like them. Electric is convenient, clean and gets the job done. Induction cooking is the newer type and adds the convenience of electric with the control and speed of gas. So use what you have or prefer and enjoy your food and company. Do not forget the cocktails and wine!

There were some comments about the new induction tops and pacemakers. Pacemakers and defibrillator devices are now more immune to outside interference so just be careful if you have them placed and limit the distance you are from the stove top when it is turned on. The power of the field is reduced by one over the distance squared so even a little distance will reduce the power substantially. The newer defibrillator devices are even designed to withstand having MRIs done after they are set for the procedure.

What do I like best? I do pastry and bread in my convection oven. I do roasting and meats in my gas oven. I especially like the two 1500 degree broilers for searing after sous vide and doing roasted vegetables and Barbecue. I cannot do it the same in a regular consumer unit. The speedcook oven roasts a 6 lb chicken in 35 minutes and it turns out super juicy and crispy brown on the outside. It can do cookies in 3 minutes from frozen dough from the freezer. It is a really neat device (works as a microwave, too). Cook on an outside grill with regular gas and new 'infrared' technology, too.

Bought a GE Profile gas convection oven for here in the Villages replacing a Samsung electric. The gas line was already present as the past owners replaced the original gas with electric. Removed the overhead microwave and put in a commercial hood. Put an Advantium in a side cabinet.
The GE Profile dishwasher is essentially 'silent'. Cleans everything and has a sensor mode without any fuss. So no problems with cookware and dishes. Choose these since there was a bundle sale. Would also recommend the high end Bosch as noted before. The northern kitchen has a Miele that is recommended, too.

Ok, now I'm really hungry. Have some fun and hope that helps!
Old 04-28-2024, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,186 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Induction is better than and out performs anything. However, only if you do not go cheap. You need to buy Bosch in order to have the power, the size ("coil" size UNDER the glass which you can not see with your eyes), and dependability. You also must own high-quality pots and pans where a magnet will stick to the bottom. All of this gets expensive, but the cooking experience is night and day.
I have yet to see professional chefs sing the praises of induction cooking. Seems they prefer cooking on a gas stove. Maybe induction cooking will catch on with the professionals one day.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo View Post
Like many others I grew up with a gas stove and it took me a while to get use to cooking on electric.
Once I got use to it there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.
Though I do like that electric simply because it's easier to clean.
Your next step is to move on to sous vide less need for stove top cooking.
Our gas stove is as easy to clean, if not easier, than any electric stove I ever used. Maybe because my newest gas stove top is completely sealed so everything is easily accessible to clean. I've never had a gas stove like this and it is an absolute pleasure to clean.

One of my electric stoves that I had many years ago had a glass top. That was pretty easy to clean with a cleaner that sort of resembled soft scrub. Even thought the cook top was easy to clean, I did not like cooking on that electric stove and always worried that the glass was going to crack.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:42 PM

Gas is best. You will hate electric if you've only used gas.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekehoe View Post
We have an electric range with an induction cooktop. It has changed my opinion on gas cooktop cooking. Immediate heat and quicker control, no smell and clean up is a snap. I have a beautiful gas range up north and dread the huge cleanup every time I cook.

And, heat up and lower heat time is slower using gas.
My current gas stove has one high output burner in the right front of the cook top. WOW, it is really fast at bringing a big pot of water to a rolling boil. I was really impressed the first time I tried it.

Tags
gas, years, electric, ovens, explosions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.