Gate Guards knocked down

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 PM

You are right. Sometimes the arm blends in with the backround
Old 02-24-2021, 08:15 PM

Wait...what are we talking about here? The gates to get in or the gates to get out? Because I thought you had to go one at a time coming in with the card and all of that. But I've been driving out along with the car in front of me for the last year without ever hitting the gate....I thought that was sorta OK?

Joe
Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just how much local crime have you seen? It’s certainly not the level you are implying.
At least he didn't compare us to Australia this time. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-24-2021, 09:03 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langwelld View Post
The entry gates should be replaced by speed bumps. The gates are expensive to maintain and totally unnecessary!!
Totally unnecessary is right. How anyone can get by with putting up "gates" and having "guards" called ambassadors on PUBLIC roads I have never figured out ! ? Can any neighborhood in any city in Florida decide to look "private", and just slap up gates, arms, man the "guard houses" and make the public stop to enter their neighborhood ? What would happen if people in Ocala, or Leesburg, just decided to "act" exclusive and slap up some gates... back up traffic a half mile or more only letting ONE car at a time down their street ? Expense for what, the sake of ego of those among us who enjoy the illusion that this is some kind of exclusive enclave ? I don't know, but sure would be nice to turn by the high school and just go over a speed bump or two and drive right to your home without a one, by one, by one line clear to the 4 lane highway of 466. Insanity for sure, what we need is the state saying people can't just slap up gates onto public streets and roads ! Oh, and how many people have the pleasure of (formerly) NOT having to roll their automatic windows up and down all day long, wonder how many expensive repairs per year that costs our residents ! ?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:20 PM
Default Gates

I think painting the gates a different color would help a lot. They are hard to see. Could it be the "developer" likes it when people hit them so they can fine them $250 a pop?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthA View Post
I think painting the gates a different color would help a lot. They are hard to see. Could it be the "developer" likes it when people hit them so they can fine them $250 a pop?
Doesnt the district get the money and use it to repair the arm?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch69 View Post
I read an article about all the gate guards being knocked down by cart and cars. It listed several distractions that might cause it, but one of the best things they could do is paint the stripes YELLOW instead of red. There is a reason highway stripes are painted yellow and not red. Yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices. Might not solve 100% of the problem but it should cause a dramatic reduction in accidents.
Maybe best said "gate ARMS" not gate "guards"..... but we knew you didn't mean the "guards/ambassadors, just havin' a little fun, not much of that around any more !
Old 02-25-2021, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Make the gate arms out of structural steel. Will take a couple of weeks for the word to get out that running into them will result in a significant repair bill. After that, folks will start to pay attention.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM

Me too! I thought it was the guards.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:56 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts
Default Seriously??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenhwalker@yahoo.com View Post
Stop signs would work if positioned correctly for cart passings
Are you kidding? Stop signs WOULD work if people obeyed them. Spend some time watching intersections and see all the carts & bicycles running the stop signs with just a quick (or no) glance to see if it is clear. Fuhgetaboutit!

The Villages Florida
Old 02-25-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
Wait...what are we talking about here? The gates to get in or the gates to get out? Because I thought you had to go one at a time coming in with the card and all of that. But I've been driving out along with the car in front of me for the last year without ever hitting the gate....I thought that was sorta OK?

Joe
Thats piggy backing. What do you do when tailgating and the vehicle ahead has to make an emergency stop? You are putting the driver ahead of you in danger. Why the hell are you in such a big hurry? Or so lazy to scan your card?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Totally unnecessary is right. How anyone can get by with putting up "gates" and having "guards" called ambassadors on PUBLIC roads I have never figured out ! ? Can any neighborhood in any city in Florida decide to look "private", and just slap up gates, arms, man the "guard houses" and make the public stop to enter their neighborhood ? What would happen if people in Ocala, or Leesburg, just decided to "act" exclusive and slap up some gates... back up traffic a half mile or more only letting ONE car at a time down their street ? Expense for what, the sake of ego of those among us who enjoy the illusion that this is some kind of exclusive enclave ? I don't know, but sure would be nice to turn by the high school and just go over a speed bump or two and drive right to your home without a one, by one, by one line clear to the 4 lane highway of 466. Insanity for sure, what we need is the state saying people can't just slap up gates onto public streets and roads ! Oh, and how many people have the pleasure of (formerly) NOT having to roll their automatic windows up and down all day long, wonder how many expensive repairs per year that costs our residents ! ?
You did not cover golf cart safety in your rant.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthA View Post
Explain how the Developer benefits?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Are you kidding? Stop signs WOULD work if people obeyed them. Spend some time watching intersections and see all the carts & bicycles running the stop signs with just a quick (or no) glance to see if it is clear. Fuhgetaboutit!

The Villages Florida
People here think stop signs are a suggestion to slow down a bit, almost nobody comes to a full stop.

Ticket for this and very quickly real estate taxes can get rolled back!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Thats piggy backing. What do you do when tailgating and the vehicle ahead has to make an emergency stop? You are putting the driver ahead of you in danger. Why the hell are you in such a big hurry? Or so lazy to scan your card?
Define "such a big hurry." I've sat at an open exit gate for about 15 seconds waiting for it to come back down since I "knew" it was supposed to close and open between each car. There was no tailgating, the car in front was well around the circle and the gate was still up. The guy behind me finally let me know he was tired of waiting and he and I and at least one more car exited without the gate closing.

The best I can figure is the exit gate is triggered by a sensor in the road or by motion detection. It will usually (there are always exceptions) see a second vehicle and will not go back down until all vehicles have cleared. It seems the exit gates are designed to allow or encourage "piggy backing."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
yellow, gate, guards, stripes, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.