Gate Passes

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Everyday this week we had cars come through on our bumper to avoid the gate
There is a sign at each gate saying the gate closes after each vehicle.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
In my opinion the only reason there are gates is to give the impression that this is a gated community. I seriously doubt that golf cart safety was ever considered. The Villages is selling the image of a special lifestyle, therefore the gates are a part of the image.
And IMHO your opinion is wrong. Nobody ever said this was a gated community. The only people that think that didn't do their homework before buying and are now upset..... but not with themselves. Gates ARE there for traffic control. A long time before there ever was a Village of McClure they moved a lot of MM paths from in front of gates to behind gates for safety reasons.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Instead of the arms and gates install 4 way stop signs and make them visible for both cars & carts
Wrong thread..... this is not the joke thread!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It is very easy to suggest a different/better method of card/car reading.
What we have is probably the lowest cost method (not intended as a negative comment).

All the other auto card readers would require a change out of all the equipment at every entry point in TV....plus control center(S).

A significant expenditure to change to a "more convenient" method.

No system will satisfy the users who are for some reason always in a hurry.

Are we ready to have our amenity fees increased to pursue/purchase these new systems?

I for one am not. The current method works just fine.....most of the time.

What is needed in TV is a significant change in enforcement. The reason there are so many "moving violations" in TV.... there is no fear of enforcement.

More ticketing, escalating fines, more enforcement presence......just like the little towns everybody is familiar with....that have 25 mpg speed limits and notorious for enforcement.....everybody slows down to 25....funny how THAT WORKS!!!!
The current system may be outdated.
But like Billethkid, we're not willing to have our amenity fee increased to cover the cost of a new system.

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-22-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Do you have a golf cart?
What does that have to do with what I said?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And IMHO your opinion is wrong. Nobody ever said this was a gated community. The only people that think that didn't do their homework before buying and are now upset..... but not with themselves. Gates ARE there for traffic control. A long time before there ever was a Village of McClure they moved a lot of MM paths from in front of gates to behind gates for safety reasons.
Never said it was, but the image TV wants prospective buyers to believe is that is a gated community. And what source can you provide that states the original intent of the gates was for traffic control?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
...the image TV wants prospective buyers to believe is that is a gated community...
I think that’s an opinion. The nature of the gates was never misrepresented to me.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
What does that have to do with what I said?
Your implying that the gates are not needed suggests you do not own a golf cart. If you did you would understand the lack of gates would force you into some serious circumstances.

Defining a source for gates as traffic control is irrelevant. Common sense would say they are.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
My card does work with the window closed, but why do we have them in the first place? Doesn't matter who you are, the gate guards open the gate for anyone. Just sayin.
The gates are there to slow down vehicular traffic so the golf carts can proceed on the cart path at the gates. At the present time, the gate cards is the system The Villages has for residents to open the gates.

Some posters, including myself, have voiced a wish for a new system to open the gates. As system that will eliminate the gate cards and allow the driver to go through the gates without ever having to take their hands off the steering wheel. But.......at this point and time, we must live with the gate cards.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think that’s an opinion. The nature of the gates was never misrepresented to me.
Nor I.....my sales rep made it clear that the gates were for traffic control of golf carts, bikers that use the MMP's, walkers and joggers. Also made it clear that the roads were County roads not the Developers with the exception of the Villas. He was also specific that this was NOT a controlled community and that security was our responsibility, the gates will not keep anyone out. We have been here 5 years and have never seen representation that this was a gated community.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
My card does work with the window closed, but why do we have them in the first place? Doesn't matter who you are, the gate guards open the gate for anyone. Just sayin.
Not all gates are manned so there is a red button to push to open the gate. If it is pouring rain, you can get a bit soaked just pushing the red button.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

When you exit a neighborhood area, you drive up to the gate and it opens automatically. If they wanted to eliminate the cards, they could use the same system at the neighborhood entrances. There would be no reason for any other system.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Everyday this week we had cars come through on our bumper to avoid the gate
Do it all the time but it is not necessary to ride on the bumper of the car ahead of you. The camera at the gates can "see" you when you are pretty far back. In fact, depending on where you are located, if you sit there waiting for the gate to come down, it won't. It will stay up and bobble a bit but won't come down. That is why I just proceed behind another car through the EXIT gate without the gate coming down.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
In my opinion the only reason there are gates is to give the impression that this is a gated community. I seriously doubt that golf cart safety was ever considered. The Villages is selling the image of a special lifestyle, therefore the gates are a part of the image.
I doesn't take much to realize this is not a true gated community. When a driver can push the red button at an unmanned gate and gain entry, you must realize this is not a gated community. As someone said earlier, this is a community with gates. I will add to that, security is not the reason for the gates. What ever the original reason was for including gates in this community, I think allowing golf carts to proceed onto the golf cart paths at the gates is the one and only positive thing that comes out of having the gate system.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Your implying that the gates are not needed suggests you do not own a golf cart. If you did you would understand the lack of gates would force you into some serious circumstances.

Defining a source for gates as traffic control is irrelevant. Common sense would say they are.
What's that..... and is it allowed?
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.