Gates and Posts

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2021, 06:07 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
What is the purpose of the gates anyway? They don't keep anyone from coming in. And the gate shacks? Do Villagers need to pay someone to smile and open the gate for everyone. I bet they are instructed to wave and smile just to give the impression of "the friendliest home town"' Gates and gate shacks are a ruse by the developer as marketing tools to fool gullible old people that they live in a safe gated community.
For one thing, the gates help the golf carts get safely across. Without them cars would just be flowing thru not even slowing down. When we're in hurricane mode they are removed and it really makes it difficult to cross.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I posed a similar request to Sumter County (these are county roads) and was told the design was per Florida requirements and no changes would be made. My suggestion was to add a yellow triangular sign on the arm. I gave up.
I've seen gates going into other surrounding communities painted florescent yellow or orange with red reflective tape. Those are much easier to see than our red and white ones.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

I don't think gates are hit because people didn't see them.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Get rid of the gates, and put in several speed ramps.
Cheaper, and much more efficient.
Drivers will soon learn to slow down to crawler speed!
You would NOT want speed bumps. I lived in a community that put speed bumps in and they ruin the suspension in your car and hurt your back going over them.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I don't think gates are hit because people didn't see them.
At certain times of the day when the sun is low and directly ahead the gate arms are really hard to see.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Why not fix the gates to reduce or stop the many times they are knocked down and off the
blocks holding them up. We have lived in the Villages for quite a few years and have, during this time watched gates being knocked down and repair crews to put them back up. It is apparent a number of them can't be seen at night and in a few cases during the day. A very
simple fix is to first put strong reflectors on them and second hang down along them reflectors like strings. Regarding the posts that are at some of the golf cart entrances and exits. They should all be on springs to bend if hit so they are not knocked down. It appears this change has been implicated on some but not all. The way they are now they are a cash cow for the company that is contracted to repair them! At our Village the gates are knocked down about 2-3 times a month. Go figure?
Was that the little old silver haired lady again driving that can't see over the steering wheel? Just askin.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
You would NOT want speed bumps. I lived in a community that put speed bumps in and they ruin the suspension in your car and hurt your back going over them.
The speed limit at the gates (at least the ones I've gone through) is posted at 5 MPH. Hard to see how someone going that speed is going to have his car's suspension damaged by a speed bump.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:57 AM

Have you ever read some of the posts here and realized what fancy problems we complain about?? FANCY PROBLEMS
Old 11-24-2021, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Been driving over speed bumps for years.
If you are hurting your back, and/or damaging your car, you are simply going over them too fast.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:07 AM

I am much more concerned with the intensity of some of the lights at night at the gate. In St Cathrines, they are so bright and perfectly directed so you are blinded. A disaster waiting to happen.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
For my two cents worth-
It does not seem that all the gates are the same. As far as people hitting the arms, there are at least two problems. Depending on the light, they are often hard to see. Gates are often at golf cart crossings. So you need to deal with the gates and golf cart drivers.
I can think of one we regularly cross where you have both mentioned issues plus an attendant who nicely wishes you a good day as you are wrestling with your card, being close enough to the sensor, golf carts, other cars, walkers, bicycles, and light.

Repair of hit arms????? I've never hit one. But they seem to just snap back in. They seem to make a production over nothing.

Having it fold back, that would surely damage your car or golf cart.
The arms are designed to fall easily so they are not damaged and your car is not damaged much. There are 2 guys whose only job is to fix the gates and they are kept busy. They charge the person who damaged the gates $200.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Boo Hiss Boo
I knew this would engender a negative comment. However, it isn't a bad idea. Speed bumps work.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The other problem is people try to tailgate the first vehicle to get through faster, I saw this a few days ago, and the second car just missed the gate arm.
We saw this the first time too. We were in our cart trying to cross. We almost got killed. Had no idea two cars were gonna come through that gate. Unbelievable.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:10 AM
Default Not just the Village People

It is not only the people who live here. We see many many people who just zoom thru the streets for a short cut. Hence just watch at Belvedere. Where cars speed down the street at all hours of the day and night! They do not live here!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:15 AM

Recently we had the opposite experience. The gate was off completely (I think Bailey) we were behind a car waving their gate pass. At first it was funny, we were waiting to see how long it took the person to realize there was no gate. We finally
gave them a quick, friendly beep.
Closed Thread

Tags
knocked, gates, reflectors, put, repair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.