Gates and Posts

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2021, 08:16 AM

Worked at Gate Ops and 80% are from people trying to tail gate another car or a golf cart trying to go around a closed gate. Everyone is retired STOP and push the button if you don’t have time to properly open the gates then walk. Remember it’s your money being spent to put them back up. BE RESPONSIBLE!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=vb993;2033025]What is the purpose of the gates anyway? They don't keep anyone from coming in. And the gate shacks? Do Villagers need to pay someone to smile and open the gate for everyone. I bet they are instructed to wave and smile just to give the impression of "the friendliest home town"' Gates and gate shacks are a ruse by the developer as marketing tools to fool gullible old people that they live in a safe gated community.[/QUOTE

If smiles and waves are not what helps to make a community friendly then what does? Certainly not frowns or indifference.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:40 AM

You could replace the gates with red and green lights ala the toll booths on the expressway. The golf cart crossings should have been put in a different location
Old 11-24-2021, 08:55 AM
Default Why are there gates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
What is the purpose of the gates anyway? They don't keep anyone from coming in. And the gate shacks? Do Villagers need to pay someone to smile and open the gate for everyone. I bet they are instructed to wave and smile just to give the impression of "the friendliest home town"' Gates and gate shacks are a ruse by the developer as marketing tools to fool gullible old people that they live in a safe gated community.
I agree totally...why are there gates at all?
Old 11-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by em8tee View Post

I agree totally...why are there gates at all?
As stated above, traffic control by

1. Allowing golf carts a chance to cross the road without being run over by cars;
2. Allowing people in cars or carts who live by a gate (like I do) a chance to enter the road by cars and trucks being momentarily stopped at the gate.

And, to the poster who wonders about the usefulness of gate attendants, have you ever driven through the Morse gate at CR 466? What a melee that would be without them directing two lanes of cars merging into one lane northbound, while golf carts are attempting to cross that lane southbound. And The Villages Hospital is not a trauma center.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Why not fix the gates to reduce or stop the many times they are knocked down and off the
blocks holding them up. We have lived in the Villages for quite a few years and have, during this time watched gates being knocked down and repair crews to put them back up. It is apparent a number of them can't be seen at night and in a few cases during the day. A very
simple fix is to first put strong reflectors on them and second hang down along them reflectors like strings. Regarding the posts that are at some of the golf cart entrances and exits. They should all be on springs to bend if hit so they are not knocked down. It appears this change has been implicated on some but not all. The way they are now they are a cash cow for the company that is contracted to repair them! At our Village the gates are knocked down about 2-3 times a month. Go figure?
I bet if TV would make the gates out of I-beams I bet people would learn real quick that they have to STOP or racing through it before it comes back down!
Old 11-24-2021, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Gates for safety

Quote:
What is the purpose of the gates anyway? They don't keep anyone from coming in. And the gate shacks? Do Villagers need to pay someone to smile and open the gate for everyone. I bet they are instructed to wave and smile just to give the impression of "the friendliest home town"' Gates and gate shacks are a ruse by the developer as marketing tools to fool gullible old people that they live in a safe gated community.
The gates provide safety for golf carts as they pass on the backside of the gate. I’ve been in The Villages 15 plus years and I can tell you from experience the gates are a necessity. If you have a golf cart you know what I mean without boring you with details.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:10 AM

I agree with you. It is a waste of money, and time to have to replace these. Maybe a fiberglass pole with a spring or a speed bump would do the same thing to get you to slow down to take a picture of your license plate.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:58 AM

Everyone knows the gates are there and you are required to stop. Unless new here there's no excuse for hitting them
Old 11-24-2021, 12:23 PM

I’m sure someone has a job fixing them and someone is making a lot of money - heard 500$ each
Old 11-24-2021, 12:47 PM

I agree with Carla B on the reason and need for gates, and also an attendant (at that location only!). A few scenarios I encountered were the following...

A larger truck approached the left lane, got out and hit the button, jumped back in, and once proceeding thru, the gate came down on his truck(and detached). That's a poor design.

I was behind someone, who opened the gate and drove thru, while I waited for the gate to come down, then swipe it back open. The lady then decided to stop right after the gate, to wave golfcarts thru, and I became stuck under the gate, which was trying to come down on my roof!

Finally, I was in a golf cart, trying to enter the street(path) from the MMP. I watched a car(s) entering the gate. I proceeded on the street(thinking he would be stopping to open the gate, but the attendant was being a hero, by opening the gate for cars before they reached the stopping point, and they were all just driving thru. I didn't realize he was doing this, until I'm already on the street, almost getting hit. He was not paying any attention to golf cart traffic! Dangerous!

Enough said.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:04 PM
Default Gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Why not fix the gates to reduce or stop the many times they are knocked down and off the
blocks holding them up. We have lived in the Villages for quite a few years and have, during this time watched gates being knocked down and repair crews to put them back up. It is apparent a number of them can't be seen at night and in a few cases during the day. A very
simple fix is to first put strong reflectors on them and second hang down along them reflectors like strings. Regarding the posts that are at some of the golf cart entrances and exits. They should all be on springs to bend if hit so they are not knocked down. It appears this change has been implicated on some but not all. The way they are now they are a cash cow for the company that is contracted to repair them! At our Village the gates are knocked down about 2-3 times a month. Go figure?
I have lived here 20 years. The gates used to be made of some kind of flat flexible plastic, that would bend, and then flip back into place with no damage. The State made them change to this kind.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:10 PM

If the gates are for safety to golf carts at crossings, then what is their purpose at non golf car crossings? Besides, wouldn't a stop sign serve the same purpose?
Old 11-24-2021, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrilee View Post
I’m sure someone has a job fixing them and someone is making a lot of money - heard 500$ each
Actually $250.
Black Friday special! KDOGSF. (Knock down one, get second free)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Just so wrong.

Tags
knocked, gates, reflectors, put, repair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.