Gators!!

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 06:21 AM
Angry Gators!!

And I’m not talking about the orange and blue ones in “The Swamp” at UF in Gainesville!
People, these are large wild animals above us on the food chain! (Unless you have a rifle rack on your golf cart).
Now I’m convinced people are feeding them. I pulled over in my golf car by the little retention pond across from Rohan Rec to see a baby gator in the middle of the pond. Guess what? It made a beeline for us right to the water’s edge! Can you imagine when that gator is 6+ feet long and some newbie is showing the grandchild the ducks!!
It happened at Disney, it can happen here.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Some of us remember when the buffalo roamed along Buena Vista....and parents/grandparents putting the little ones on or in the fence to get a picture.

Yesterday at the lake just past the Riley Grove starter shack there were young-ish folks with their little ones inside the split rail fence to get a selfie with a gator in the back ground. How stupid can people be???

And when someone's kids get bitten or killed by a gator, the parents and others will rise in arms about what the developer did not do to make it safe.

I say again.....how stupid can some people be??? Gators are wild, MEAT EATING animals!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Default Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Some of us remember when the buffalo roamed along Buena Vista....and parents/grandparents putting the little ones on or in the fence to get a picture.

Yesterday at the lake just past the Riley Grove starter shack there were young-ish folks with their little ones inside the split rail fence to get a selfie with a gator in the back ground. How stupid can people be???

And when someone's kids get bitten or killed by a gator, the parents and others will rise in arms about what the developer did not do to make it safe.

I say again.....how stupid can some people be??? Gators are wild, MEAT EATING animals!!!!!!!!!
I know people like to say mind your own business. Others would also say something nasty to you if you were to remind them how dangerous gators can be. Me, I'm just crusty enough to remind them if it was safely possible.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Sage

Darwin is right, & he is proven more right, every day
Old 08-20-2018, 11:24 AM

The Villages Florida

This all reminds me when the tourist here climbed over the fence to get closer to Binky.

Binky (polar bear - Wikipedia)

Sorry - I don't know how to post a photo, so I sent (i think) the link.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
The Villages Florida

This all reminds me when the tourist here climbed over the fence to get closer to Binky.

Sorry - I don't know how to post a photo, so I sent (i think) the link.
Tom, on another note, is your avatar picture a recent one?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Tom, on another note, is your avatar picture a recent one?
See what dieting does for you, or to you.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Sage

Just saw online-a woman walking her dog was killed by an 8' gator on Hilton Head Island--good news the dog is OK
Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM

Gracie,

I am a bit thin, but I do have more meat on my bones than my avatar may portray. When I retire I plan to work on that ... lol.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:05 PM

My bet is somehow the original natives in of Florida and the other states with an alligator population went out of their way to avoid them unless hunting for them. Unless you have some mental difficulties, you stay away from Pumas, Jaguars, Bears,( both black and grizzly ) Wolves and any other animal on the North American continent which can eat you. It's actually pretty easy, don't swim with the sharks and don't walk next to any untamed large animal with big sharp teeth.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Sage

Then I think it was at Yellowstone a week or so ago a video was posted on social media of a guy taunting a bison. Stupid is as stupid does. People have lost their common sense!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
The Villages Florida

Sorry - I don't know how to post a photo, so I sent (i think) the link
That made national news and I recall reading about it.

Your link doesn't seem to be working, so here's another.

Binky (polar bear) - Wikipedia

I especially like this part...
Quote:
"When Binky stuck his head through the bars and grabbed her, she suffered a broken leg and bite wounds. Another tourist caught the event on tape.Binky kept the woman's shoe for three days before it could be retrieved by zoo officials..."
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Binky_the_polar_bear.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	76221  
Old 08-20-2018, 06:24 PM

Thanks ColdNoMore! You have done what I was unable to do at this end.

Yep, it was splashed all over the news. That tennis shoe remians in our Anchorage Museum, however Binky has passed away (not shoe or tourist related).
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryRDH View Post
And I’m not talking about the orange and blue ones in “The Swamp” at UF in Gainesville!
People, these are large wild animals above us on the food chain! (Unless you have a rifle rack on your golf cart).
Now I’m convinced people are feeding them. I pulled over in my golf car by the little retention pond across from Rohan Rec to see a baby gator in the middle of the pond. Guess what? It made a beeline for us right to the water’s edge! Can you imagine when that gator is 6+ feet long and some newbie is showing the grandchild the ducks!!
It happened at Disney, it can happen here.

Gators have been in FL for thousands of years. Get over it. Don't take your dog close, don't get close during mating season. Geese get over it!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Gators have been in FL for thousands of years. Get over it. Don't take your dog close, don't get close during mating season. Geese ?? get over it!
People have been in Florida for some time too. I think I will just go ahead and keep being afraid of cold slimy bitey greenish alligators. I won't get close to any if I can help it. I like people better than alligators.

Almost always.

Tags
golf, pond, gator, people, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.