Geckos in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Default Geckos in The Villages

What are they really? I thought Anole, but I read that Carolina Anoles are like 8 inches long and I have not seen one over 5. Also, I have never seen a white strip on their spines (females).

Any ideas?

for the answer

just kidding on the click.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

One learns to live with them. They significantly out number us, they do no damage and they eat bugs.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I was checking the grill yesterday for these creatures. Beau is always up for the hunt. I lifted up the propane tank and a lizard was there. It skedaddled. Then Beau chased it right back under the propane tank. I lifted this up a second time and Beau gave chase. The anole went right up my leg and into my shorts. I took off the shorts and tried to check out the rest of me and shook out the shorts. Saw and felt NOTHING. Put everything back on and hurried into the house to double check. Dumped the shorts in the bedroom and put on a new pair for good measure.

I left the room and went about my business but came back to check the phone charger to see if it had finished powering up the phone. I had wanted to tell a female friend about my adventure via a text as it had gotten me thinking of her. The cell phone was ready but I saw a creature between the blinds on my side of the window.

Grabbed a Publix plastic bag and nabbed the miniature Godzilla after a few tries and put it out on the lanai.

Beau would get his prize.

This is about the fourth time that one of these things has gone up my pants' leg while it was being chased by one of our pooches.

I still do not know where that lizard went while I was taking off various things by the grill and I had not wanted to streak my backyard neighbors by taking everything off.

I had taken my shirt off already as it had been all full of sweat from walking around a dog park, the neighborhood, a Villages' Square or the Polo Field a number of times. So, I had been shirtless when looking over the grill.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-13-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
One learns to live with them. They significantly out number us, they do no damage and they eat bugs.
Plus, they are cute little devils.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I was checking the grill yesterday for these creatures. Beau is always up for the hunt. I lifted up the propane tank and a lizard was there. It skedaddled. Then Beau chased it right back under the propane tank. I lifted this up a second time and Beau gave chase. The anole went right up my leg and into my shorts. I took of the shorts and tried to check out the rest of me and shook out the shorts. Saw and felt NOTHING. Put everything back on and hurried into the house to double check. Dumped the shorts in the bedroom and put on a new pair for good measure.

I left the room and went about my business but came back to check the phone charger to see if it had finished powering up the phone. I had wanted to tell a female friend about my adventure via a text as it had gotten me thinking of her. The cell phone was ready but I saw a creature between the blinds on my side of the window.

Grabbed a Publix plastic bag and nabbed the miniature Godzilla after a few tries and put it out on the lanai.

Beau would get his prize.

This is about the fourth time that one of these things has gone up my pasts' leg while it was being chased by one of our pooches.

I still do not know where that lizard went while I was taking off various things by the grill and I had not wanted to streak my backyard neighbors.
That is NOTHING but a very funny story!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage

I hate when they ring my door bell & try & sell me auto insurance
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

When we first moved here, I was politely informed they were not geckos, but anoles. Curious, I looked it up and there are apparently 391 species of anoles. So, I generically call them anoles, and don’t try to identify the species. My yellow lab has learned to ignore them, as they are much faster than she is. ;-)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We don't have that many anymore since "Pat" our Black Racer snake moved in. Pat works in conjunction with "Sammy" our next door neighbors Racer. I just wish they could catch the frogs. Way too many frogs.

Tal, be very careful about what gets in those drawers! Better it be a Gecko than a LOBSTER. Sorry I couldn't help it. Snip Snip!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Sage

Our black racer keeps the neighborhood pretty clean--very little frog poop
Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Well, there are a lot of funny people on TOTV, which I enjoy. I’m not funny, so I usually have to go with facts.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Some interesting info
Are Brown Anoles in Florida Really Driving Green Anoles to Extinction? | Anole Annals
Old 09-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
When we first moved here, I was politely informed they were not geckos, but anoles. Curious, I looked it up and there are apparently 391 species of anoles. So, I generically call them anoles, and don’t try to identify the species. My yellow lab has learned to ignore them, as they are much faster than she is. ;-)
Our dog calls them geckos. But he's old and not in the chase.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

They taste just like chicken
Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
They taste just like chicken
I thought is was snowbirds that taste like chicken????
Old 09-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Geckos In The Villages

Geckos in The Villages

Are they here again? They were great last year when they played the Savannah Center.
Closed Thread

Tags
click, strip, villages, white, spines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.