Getting around

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Default Waterfront Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcruz928@yahoo.com View Post
I believe the Waterfront Inn is no longer in business.

We just stayed there in October. I hope you are wrong. It was nice.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:46 PM

I agree with other posters. Sign up for a lifestyle visit. We would have but we only stayed 2 nights.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Walking

Is unsafe at any speed. To many with poor eyesight and reflexes to. Try the Parks to walk or retail centers
Old 12-05-2020, 06:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
You do have cruise control it is set for 20 mph just hold the gas peddle all the way down. 😊
HAHA Believe it or not it makes my right leg ache to have to push it down for 30 minutes straight. Aging sucks!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:25 AM

There are many stores you can walk to just north of 466. Walmart, Publix, Belles, CVS, Walgreens, many banks, Home Goods, etc. These stores are near the Charter High School and Buffalo Glen softball complex. Purchase or view any homes in the Belvedere area. A lifestyle visit is the best way to see The Villages
Old 12-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
HAHA Believe it or not it makes my right leg ache to have to push it down for 30 minutes straight. Aging sucks!
You need a military gas pedal. Right foot, left foot. Or just cross your legs as you enjoy your ride and the beautiful scenery in TVS!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

many who do not drive maintain their preferred method of transport is their own 2 feet - you don't eat much ice cream in the summer months, do you !
Old 12-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Do you have any idea when the connection will happen for the golf cart for the section South of 44?
Old 12-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Yes it is definitely more than 12 miles from north to south in The Villages. It's more like 20 miles.
But if you've got a golf cart that does 30mph it won't take that long.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock555 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the answers, did not expect to get so many. Renting for a month does seem to be the best bet and what we are looking at after seeing how many are available. The walking is much more important to my wife than me, she says she does not want to depend on me to always drive her, she does not drive . Tried explaining to her a golf cart is different than a car, maybe when we visit she will get it. I have seen a lot of people mentioning the "Life Styles Visit", is there a particular place I need to find out about that? And yes, actually visiting a place is the surest way to find out about it but just trying to know as much as I could before that. You guys have been very helpful, thanks again.
There is a relatively new YouTube channel called “The Villages with Rusty Nelson”. He lives in PA and just started the channel to document going to The Villages and the Lifestyle Visit Program. He starts with calling the Program, setting up a visit, driving to The Villages and documenting his visit. I think it will become “the bible” for visiting The Villages with an eye towards determining if The Villages is for you. Very well done and unbiased.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:08 AM

We have always rented a house for a month...April...with a golf cart included...6 years...now building in Chitty Chatty...we were slow to jump the fence. I want a gas golf cart..I hear newer ones are quieter...husband wants electric...we go all over TV for activities pre covid and will go north for 4 mos on summer. I dont want to worry about batteries in the g c during that time...any thoughts???
Old 12-05-2020, 11:40 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the answers, did not expect to get so many. Renting for a month does seem to be the best bet and what we are looking at after seeing how many are available. The walking is much more important to my wife than me, she says she does not want to depend on me to always drive her, she does not drive . Tried explaining to her a golf cart is different than a car, maybe when we visit she will get it. I have seen a lot of people mentioning the "Life Styles Visit", is there a particular place I need to find out about that? And yes, actually visiting a place is the surest way to find out about it but just trying to know as much as I could before that. You guys have been very helpful, thanks again.
There is really no way to over stress renting and staying as long as you possibly can. Getting a real "feel" for this is really important, and the good news is you can then rank your priorities (close to many golf courses, not just close to one or two, walking to Publix, church, being very near one of the many dog parks, or rather be closer to the shopping centers with the BIG MAJOR stores ? There is just so much to consider and though others will tell you (I'm sure) that all villages are pretty much the same, each really does have it's own "feel", vibes, what ever you want to term it. We also have various locations of walking/exercise trails, where you walk and then pause and there is a piece of equipment for a simple strength or endurance exercise, then you continue your walk to the next stop on the trail. Lake Sumter square area makes a nice "loop" walk, do the entire lake front boardwalk (and you can still hear the music if you walk in the evenings, and then continue on the side walk to just make a giant circle on the outer edges streets around Sumter. Also, don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but a LOT of walking clubs/groups, including women's groups meet at nearly every rec center and are all listed on the activities web site (which you do NOT have to be a resident to access the site, so have her take a look, I think one is called Sole Mates (?) but many groups, some focus on walking for weight loss, other just on physical conditioning, but no hard and fast "rules", if walking off pounds group fits your schedule and location, no one would object if loosing weight is not your main focus, and so on....
Old 12-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amohernyikes View Post
Do you have any idea when the connection will happen for the golf cart for the section South of 44?
It’s already happened.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Can you really get around the entire villages using just a golf cart? What is walking like, my wife actually likes to walk to the supermarkets, is that doable here(she walks a lot).Thinking of coming this year to check place out, can you actually go from hotels there to Villages area with just a golf cart? Are there certain areas in the Villages more active(clubs, activities, etc.) than others? Thanks.

While it makes sense for you to ask this question the only proper answer is where would you be buying, where do you wish to get to and what do you compare it to?

You can find a golf cart path map. As to walking, you can look up numerical scores for walking. If, I recall the Villages is mid-line. People do walk through the tunnels. My,OPINION, you need to be nuts to do so. The lighting is not great in many of them and they are not wide enough for you to get out of the way from someone who does not see you.

As to food shopping. Because of where we are, we can easily, and regularly do our food shopping by golf cart. It is three miles to winn dixie and three miles to Publix.
We also have Aldis and Lowes about 3 1/4 miles away but they are on a main street that you cannot take a golf cart on to unless it is a street legal one-faster and requires plates and insurance. Not sure what you mean by food shopping. If she is thinking about walking to a luncheonette for a soda and or sandwich you will want to be near enough to one of the town squares that she could walk to. You will want to check and see how walker friendly the paths she will need to take are.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
But if you've got a golf cart that does 30mph it won't take that long.

I find it amusing. The Villages, most people are retired. No real need to worry about transit time to get to work on time. Allow time to enjoy the journey.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, cart, golf, hotels, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.