Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2021, 08:29 AM

Very well said!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
When my wife and I left The Villages for Leesburg, I had a vague feeling of both dread and hope. We were both near 80 with “pre-existing conditions.” If Covid 19 got us, the odds are that one or both of us would die. In my car, I sensed relative security was only 20 minutes away.

The mall we went to is a seedy place. The Sears store where the shots were to be given would have been bustling 20 years ago. Now, with faded paint and pealing signs, the image was of an America in decline. The older adults, like us, making their way to the store, were gray and bald. Some walking. Some in wheelchairs or walkers.

Inside, the store bustled once again. Young men and women, firefighters, off-duty police, and nurses moved us from station, taking information, giving us our shots, and watching for reactions. These people were cheerful, and they exuded pride in their role in saving lives.

As we moved along, my gratitude for all the people that made this moment possible grew. The public health people at the CDC, the bureaucrats who hustled the science through, the scientists who broke records producing the vaccine in record time, and these people, going beyond to vaccinate so many strangers.

On the way home, my gratitude continued to grow. It extended to the businesses who enforce covid rules and to you. People who ignored the doubters. People who stayed inside and wore masks. You were protecting yourself. But you also recognized a responsibility to others.

All of us Americans working in concert saved my life. Thank you.

I have often wondered how during WWII, all Americans worked together to defeat a formidable enemy. I wondered if we still had that American spirit. I should have known. That spirit was working under my feet. I just failed to see it.

America is at war, and millions of Americans working as one are fighting and winning. This may sound patriotic. Maybe it is. A patriot is not a person who waves a flag. A patriot is a person who works together with his fellow man, acting as a single force for the good of all Americans. Patriots ignore the deniers and doubters.

I used to worry that we as a nation were too fractured to meet the challenges of a warming earth, deforestation, foreign enemies. I now feel confident that, with leadership that brings us together, rather than fracturing us along lines of race, religion, and ethnology, we can do anything that must be done.
Too many other posters think it is there duty to complain about something.

I do wonder how some of these people would deal with a real problem.

We also got our first shot at the closed Sears store in Leesburg. I was told they deliver 8,000 shots per day. Not certain but I think there were 20 stations doing it. I got #14, my lucky number and there were several higher than the one I got. Imagine, if, I am right it is 400 shots per day. Some people are scared, some are lost. some have medical issues. They, at least everyone I dealt with were professional and at the same time had not lost humanity.

Not counting the fact that my wife, insists on getting everywhere too early, based on our appointment time we were in and out in 45 minutes. It, could not possibly have been better done.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Amen! I felt such relief and liberation when I got my second shot.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
What a lovely post. Thank you. I too have often thought with so much selfishness in America today, how would we withstand another world war. Now I know! 🇺🇸
Do not allow them to drag you down. There are still good people. Even good people, whatever that means, can make you wonder about what they are doing,thinking.

What was. I have, located some movies of my family from like 1955. They were on 16mm and we never had a 16mm projector so I had never seen them. As a kid, I remember my parent disciplining me for tossing the wrapper and the sticks from
one of those popsicles. I thus remembered, the streets were far cleaner in the good old days. Well the movies show clearly the streets were full of trash blowing around.

Playground pictures. It is a miracle we survived that equipment.

Sadly, for all of us, we see the evil. We do not take the time to notice the good.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:44 AM

I had my first shot at the mall in leesburg on their soft opening and it was organized then. On my second shot last Friday they were super organized and handled people there for their 1st and 2nd shots great. I was totally impressed with their organization and care. I think they learned as they went and now have a great system. I keep hearing horror stories from the Sumter site, so I'm glad I went to the mall in Leesburg.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:15 AM

Yes it was bustling 20 years ago and as retired nurse I realized we are all in this together!
Old 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmken2 View Post
I had my first shot at the mall in leesburg on their soft opening and it was organized then. On my second shot last Friday they were super organized and handled people there for their 1st and 2nd shots great. I was totally impressed with their organization and care. I think they learned as they went and now have a great system. I keep hearing horror stories from the Sumter site, so I'm glad I went to the mall in Leesburg.
Mary and I went to the Sumter site last Sat. It was organized quick and friendly. Out in 45mins without leaving the car. Took friends to the Lake Mall site 2 weeks ago it was quick and efficient. The workers at both locations could not have been nicer.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:55 AM

We could use more zendog3 attitudes; complete with positive actions toward others. Thank you
Old 02-24-2021, 12:22 PM

How does one get an appointment for Leesburg? We are still waiting for our 1st shots.
Thank you.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygirl View Post
How does one get an appointment for Leesburg? We are still waiting for our 1st shots.
Thank you.
Go to the front page of the Daily Sun. Go to the web sites listed or call the phone numbers. We went on line Jan 13th and got our first shot on Feb 20th. My neighbors went on Jan 14th and are getting their shots today. Look at your reply that they sent you when you checked in. Then check the date and figure roughly 1 month. Then they give you your appointment for the 2nd shot while you're there. GOOD LUCK Len & Mary
Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM

Thank you for your uplifting post! Have a wonderful day!
Old 02-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
When my wife and I left The Villages for Leesburg, I had a vague feeling of both dread and hope. We were both near 80 with “pre-existing conditions.” If Covid 19 got us, the odds are that one or both of us would die. In my car, I sensed relative security was only 20 minutes away.

The mall we went to is a seedy place. The Sears store where the shots were to be given would have been bustling 20 years ago. Now, with faded paint and pealing signs, the image was of an America in decline. The older adults, like us, making their way to the store, were gray and bald. Some walking. Some in wheelchairs or walkers.

Inside, the store bustled once again. Young men and women, firefighters, off-duty police, and nurses moved us from station, taking information, giving us our shots, and watching for reactions. These people were cheerful, and they exuded pride in their role in saving lives.

As we moved along, my gratitude for all the people that made this moment possible grew. The public health people at the CDC, the bureaucrats who hustled the science through, the scientists who broke records producing the vaccine in record time, and these people, going beyond to vaccinate so many strangers.

On the way home, my gratitude continued to grow. It extended to the businesses who enforce covid rules and to you. People who ignored the doubters. People who stayed inside and wore masks. You were protecting yourself. But you also recognized a responsibility to others.

All of us Americans working in concert saved my life. Thank you.

I have often wondered how during WWII, all Americans worked together to defeat a formidable enemy. I wondered if we still had that American spirit. I should have known. That spirit was working under my feet. I just failed to see it.

America is at war, and millions of Americans working as one are fighting and winning. This may sound patriotic. Maybe it is. A patriot is not a person who waves a flag. A patriot is a person who works together with his fellow man, acting as a single force for the good of all Americans. Patriots ignore the deniers and doubters.

I used to worry that we as a nation were too fractured to meet the challenges of a warming earth, deforestation, foreign enemies. I now feel confident that, with leadership that brings us together, rather than fracturing us along lines of race, religion, and ethnology, we can do anything that must be done.
Winston Churchill said something similar to the sentiments in this thread. Paraphrasing - Americans always do the RIGHT thing........after ALL other options are exhausted. This thread-starting author has some good writing and wordsmithing skills. But.....it seems to me to be colored by rose-colored glasses due to the euphoria of receiving a life-continuing CV shot, which increases the possibility of returning to a "normal life".

I can find some other , small, criticisms of the thread starter - mentioned was "warming earth" - it is unfortunate that, as shown by the disaster in Texas, that we (the 1st world countries that caused it) are past the point of controlling Global Warming (aka global weirding)! The part about. "all Americans working in concert" - this did NOT really happen. Just ask Bob Woodward. The proof is that the Australians and Europeans did MUCH better than us wonderful-"all Americans". The proof is that we are #1 in CV deaths. The part about "patriots are NOT doubters and deniers - Well, doubters and deniers still will consider themselves "patriots" because they have been well propagandized. It will take UNLEARNING of that propaganda before America can return to its universal Patriotism that existed after WW2. That may or may NOT happen in the future? And that part about "America fighting and winning the CV war" - well, that war is NOT yet over - you MAY (?) have won a battle for yourself temporarily - but, the CV enemy has yet to sign the peace treaty to end that war!..... On a lighter note ....Zendog is a GREAT forum handle! Keep writing!
Old 02-24-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Beautiful words zendog3. Love your post and agree with you as far as the sacrifice and effort people made to get us that close to getting the shot.

I left the site in Leesburg and came home without my first shot. There was no organization whatsoever outside and I don't think they heard of Social Distancing. I couldn't bring myself to risk going into the building for an hour or more to wait for the shot. It was a madhouse the day I went. People were to close to one another. It was disgusting.

I hope everyone else who goes to this location has a much better experience than I did. Sometimes you just have to maker the rough call and do what you have to do.
That is some serious willpower that you showed leaving. I assume that it was some kind of 1st come, 1st served" non-systematic offering. I blame Florida for not going with vaccinating the over-85, then the over-75, and THEN the over-65. There are too many over-65 for the early supplies of vaccine. That is how EXTREME frustration and cheating occur. And people lose confidence in their government and turn into anarchists or conspiracy lovers. They end up believing NOTHING and then are ripe for government overthrow!
Old 02-24-2021, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That is some serious willpower that you showed leaving. I assume that it was some kind of 1st come, 1st served" non-systematic offering. I blame Florida for not going with vaccinating the over-85, then the over-75, and THEN the over-65. There are too many over-65 for the early supplies of vaccine. That is how EXTREME frustration and cheating occur. And people lose confidence in their government and turn into anarchists or conspiracy lovers. They end up believing NOTHING and then are ripe for government overthrow!
Slight disclaimer - I wrote my posts after only reading the early negative posts. I had NOT
read the latter, bulk-of the posts which were universally POSITIVE. I should have read all the posts before responding. My bad. I hope that there was still SOME value in SOME of what I wrote. It was not ALL negative.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 02-24-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 02-24-2021, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiesrgreat@gmail.com View Post
Well, Nucky - Your attitude could not be anymore opposite than the original poster.

If only we could all have such a positive outlook on life as the initial poster of this thread - thank you!!!

I do not worry about what anyone else does - it just isn’t worth it - if someone decides not to wear a mask or not to distance - I have legs or a wheel chair or my walker and, if I feel threatened in any way- I am a big boy and I am mobile and I will move. I am responsible for my own actions and my own situations. I do not shame or chastise any one else for how they choose to live their lives.

Life is great!! With the right attitude!!! I choose to live life!
What would you do in this circumstance? This is a real situation that I personally watched. Sitting at a breakfast counter in a local restaurant, all seats are available to sit at as there are no seats blocked off. There were plenty of seats at one end of the one end of the counter. At the other end of the counter was one person, then an empty seat, then another person next to that empty seat. Both patrons were eating their breakfast. Along comes a third person and sits in the empty seat, right in the middle of the two that were already seated and eating their breakfast. No one spoke to one another so they evidently did not know each other.

What would you have done in that situation where a stranger sat right next to you, basically shoulder to shoulder when there were plenty of seats available at the other end of the counter?

I just sat there, shaking my head.

Tags
people, americans, store, working, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.