Ghost Ants

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2021, 07:28 AM

They're drawn to heat from electrical outlets and panels. Had a problem in my kitchen many years ago.
After a hurricane, we replaced the breaker box and there was the nest, queen, eggs and all. No more ants after that! Good luck!
Old 11-30-2021, 07:56 AM

Are they also called sugar ants?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 AM

Tried all the commercial stuff, still had ants. Got some orange guard on Amazon. It is non toxic and sprayed baseboards , ants gone. I guess orange is toxic to ants. Peppermint oil on cotton balls repels them.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Just this weekend we had some ghost ants. We followed the trail to an electrical outlet on an outer wall then sprayed behind the outlet cover and that solved it.
They’ll be back. Spraying won’t get to the source which is the nest.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:58 AM

what is "the breaker box" ?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
I need some advice on getting rid of ghost ants. I have them mostly in my bathroom basins. I have tried several methods of getting rid of them. I have left drops of "TERRO ANT KILLER" around and they flock to that, but that is a poison and apparently an entire tribe of those little boogers and not complete annihilated. I have also used "COMBAT ANY KILLING GEL" and "ADVION ANT GEL". The instructions for COMBAT and ADVION suggests that you spread them in the areas where the ants are found and DO NOT us any form of "repellent". I have tried both of these gels, which come in hypodermic devices, by squeezing a line at the tops of the basins, under the granite counter top. I also spread the gels under the sinks where the water pipes come out of the walls. Nothing is stopping the ants. My next door neighbors had a professional extermination company treat their house for them and it got rid of the ants.....for one week and then they were back with vengeance. Oh, too, I have also spread insecticide all around the perimeter of the house. Got any suggestions? Maybe a blow torch????
We had them too. Deans does our yard so came out and took care of our ants no charge. He says to never spray but instead use the traps where they carry the poison back to the nest. Couple weeks later there were still a few in the guest bath. He came back and put the product on the outside of our house where the bath was. He said sometimes they have a nest by the house and will come in just looking for moisture. It is not unusual for there to be multiple nests. They love sweets and toothpaste. No more ants.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM
Default Ghost Ants

Quote:
I need some advice on getting rid of ghost ants. I have them mostly in my bathroom basins. I have tried several methods of getting rid of them. I have left drops of "TERRO ANT KILLER" around and they flock to that, but that is a poison and apparently an entire tribe of those little boogers and not complete annihilated. I have also used "COMBAT ANY KILLING GEL" and "ADVION ANT GEL". The instructions for COMBAT and ADVION suggests that you spread them in the areas where the ants are found and DO NOT us any form of "repellent". I have tried both of these gels, which come in hypodermic devices, by squeezing a line at the tops of the basins, under the granite counter top. I also spread the gels under the sinks where the water pipes come out of the walls. Nothing is stopping the ants. My next door neighbors had a professional extermination company treat their house for them and it got rid of the ants.....for one week and then they were back with vengeance. Oh, too, I have also spread insecticide all around the perimeter of the house. Got any suggestions? Maybe a blow torch????
I live in the Brownwood Apts in Wildwood. I had what I thought were Ghost Ants but the exterminator examined my specimens and determined they were Pharaoh ants. Mine also were in the bathroom sink basins and on top of the granite. He put some food on the floor of my vanities. He told me their nest could be miles away but once they eat, they take the food back to the nest and it should kill them. However, it could take years to get there, at their pace. I still have the occasional few. Not too sure they they'll ever really be gone, but that's my opinion.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
what is "the breaker box" ?
You need to know what it is, where it is at, how to turn circuits off. Suggest you do an Internet search.

What is a breaker box panel?
A breaker box — aka electrical panel — is mounted on the wall, usually in the basement or garage of a home, and its purpose is to take in electricity supplied by your power company and redistribute it throughout your home via electrical circuits
Old 11-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

What are ghost ants, how are they different from regular ants?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
What are ghost ants, how are they different from regular ants?
google can give a better description including pictures.

Ghost ants are little, teeny, tiny things that are very hard to see. They are also very fast. If you see an ant on the driveway it is almost definitely not a ghost ant. If you see something tiny moving across the laptop monitor it may be a ghost ant.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-30-2021, 12:32 PM

I use Dean's at one of my homes and Massey at the other. I know a lot of Villagers like to DIY, but the pros do a great job. I had some a year ago. Dean's came out, gave me a bunch of bait traps, explained how to place them, and treated the outside of the home. Problem solved. I had some show up again in September, called Dean's and they came out the next day, found the nest and nuked it.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:50 PM

Call Ghost Busters!
Old 11-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Default Ghost Ant Bait

Quote:

This has worked well for me! The activity will increase for a day or two and then they’re gone. (If they continue after that, Massey’s has treated them for me. They sometimes have to come back several times if it’s a large nest. )

Ant Bait
1 c warm water
1/2 c sugar
2 tbls borax
Stir to dissolve.

Dip cotton balls in mixture and place several near ants. Replace if they dry out. Ants will take bait back to nest.

Can refrigerate and use straight from fridge.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:17 PM
Red face Ants battle

We had pesty ants mainly because the house was unoccuplied before we bought it for 5 years. The only way they got rid of (most of them - and it's been a year) is by treating all around & inside the electrical outlets because they live in the walls. Still from time to time my 'glue traps catch some. Massey gives them to you if you use their service. I couldn't tackle them myself - I had no clue. I haven't seen them in a month - on or around the front door - so keeping my fingers crossed - but still spraying in between outside the door myself.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
If you can find Malathion, Daizinon or Liquid Seven that seems to work for me. First 2 have a strong odor but dissipates after a few hours. (NLA chemical would be Chlordane termiticide, NLA for over 30 years but was great). Demon MAX (available on Amazon) should also work. Make sure you spray around all plumbing where it comes through the walls AND where your main shut off is, typically found in the garage. Typically they follow the plumbing. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
ants, spread, rid, advion, gel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.