Gilchrist Gate now in security & traffic modes

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think the gates slow traffic down and keep the accident rate a little lower. Carts don't have a chance against cars.

No one ever said this is a gated community. It is a community with gates and I think the nicest one of it's kind in the world.

My friends all know Gary didn't give me my house.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

I agree that the gates are mainly used as traffic control devices. Now if they would just set them so they go all the way down and remain down for a certain period of time it would make trying to get by in a cart much easier. Many times you plan on the gate going down but someone tailgates through making for close calls.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
You have no statistics to support that gates are beneficial traffic control devices-Contrarywise:The use of traffic control devices are standardized throughout the US (please see: Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices http://mutcd.fhwa.***.gov/pdfs/2009/part2b.pdf)and are adopted within Florida Statutes, Section 316.0745, which states where and when traffic control devices should be used. It does not recommend street gates or stop signs placed in the middle of roadways -to the contrary. The gates in The Villages are a presentation of a fanciful idea that we Villagers are a special protected group of people.
You can cite whatever manual what you want. I think that when I have to stop to wave a card at a gate, it slows me down and gives crossing cart traffic a chance to get across.

TV does not advertise itself as a gated community due to the fact that the maintenance of the roads is turned over to the counties.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I would like to see the gates removed. We should all realize by now that gates are obviously not a deterrent to burglars. The false concept of The Villages as "a gated community" only lulls the residents into thinking that they live in some type of private secure enclave. These are public roads in Sumter and Lake county and are open to anyone who can push a button on a post. Having to stick a hand out in the rain-either for holding out a resident gate card or to push a button, or sit behind someone who does not know how to get through the gate or doesn't have their gate pass handy--is absolutely ridiculous, and I for one would like to see the gates go away. JMHO
GadAboutGal -- thank you for speaking your mind about our absolutely useless gates! I, too, would like to see these gates go by the way of the wind, but it will never happen. From those I have spoken to believe the gates are good but in reality, they have given residents a false sense of security. In plain words -- they are not a deterrent to anything. All our streets are public and no one can be stopped insofar as gaining entry. Everyone screams cameras. What good are they when there are hundreds of cars and trucks in and out every day? BTW -- does anyone know to where these cameras transfer the information? I'll bet you dollars to donuts no one looks at that stuff. If in fact these cameras really work, there is no way they could pinpoint a burglar.

In most communities that have gates, decals are given to residents so they don't have to open and reach out and get soaking wet when it's raining. If it's a question of traffic control, stop signs work wonders. The roundabouts are a disaster, also. Most drivers don't know how to navigate them.

Besides getting soaking wet when it's raining, the thing that probably burns my hide the most is the cost. OMG, these gates cost us a fortune between maintenance, salaries, cameras, utilities, etc. Does anyone know how much we pay annually???

It seems that you and I are the only ones who realize the real truth about these gates. Too bad . . .
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbirds99 View Post
If I understand correctly if you are not a resident and you use the visitor side your license plate is recorded.
Just one more false sense of security!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Sage

I am sure the people who are so angry about having the gates realize that they would have no problem making a profit on their Villages home and finding a community either with no gates or a truly gated community - whatever their choice.

No one ever told them when they purchased here (if they are even here) that The Villages is a gated community.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
You have no statistics to support that gates are beneficial traffic control devices-Contrarywise:The use of traffic control devices are standardized throughout the US (please see: Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices http://mutcd.fhwa.***.gov/pdfs/2009/part2b.pdf)and are adopted within Florida Statutes, Section 316.0745, which states where and when traffic control devices should be used. It does not recommend street gates or stop signs placed in the middle of roadways -to the contrary. The gates in The Villages are a presentation of a fanciful idea that we Villagers are a special protected group of people.
Try getting across Bailey at Buena Vista in a cart without gates. I wouldn't be pretty.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
GadAboutGal -- thank you for speaking your mind about our absolutely useless gates! I, too, would like to see these gates go by the way of the wind, but it will never happen. From those I have spoken to believe the gates are good but in reality, they have given residents a false sense of security. In plain words -- they are not a deterrent to anything. All our streets are public and no one can be stopped insofar as gaining entry. Everyone screams cameras. What good are they when there are hundreds of cars and trucks in and out every day? BTW -- does anyone know to where these cameras transfer the information? I'll bet you dollars to donuts no one looks at that stuff. If in fact these cameras really work, there is no way they could pinpoint a burglar.

In most communities that have gates, decals are given to residents so they don't have to open and reach out and get soaking wet when it's raining. If it's a question of traffic control, stop signs work wonders. The roundabouts are a disaster, also. Most drivers don't know how to navigate them.

Besides getting soaking wet when it's raining, the thing that probably burns my hide the most is the cost. OMG, these gates cost us a fortune between maintenance, salaries, cameras, utilities, etc. Does anyone know how much we pay annually???

It seems that you and I are the only ones who realize the real truth about these gates. Too bad . . .
"Stop signs work wonders" Seriously? You never see anyone blow through a stop sign? I see few drivers who actually stop, they slow down and proceed through.
If the gates "cost us a fortune" as you say, you obviously know how much they cost, which renders your last sentence unnecessary. I don't have any idea what the gates cost us but that cost divided by the number of residents
seems to minimal considering the number of accidents they prevent.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I could be wrong, but the irritation with gates seems to be a new issue. Maybe we should do one of those TOTV surveys to see what others think.

Put me on the "in favor of" category. IMO the gates really do help regulate the flow of traffic into the neighborhoods off of the main streets and slow cars down so carts can cross.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Have you ever seen folks that live off Morse north of 466 try to turn left out of their Village (without traffic lights) at rush hour when there is a steady stream of cars on Morse in both directions? I for one don't mind the traffic circles.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
When you push the button to speak to C/W, what do they say?
Can you make up any excuse to come in, ie: Deputy Sheriff,
UPS, FEDEX,Comcast, etc. How do they know who they are
really talking to?

Actually, all you have to do is drive up close to the gate,
and just sit there, it will open automatically, after a short time.

Most people (especially outsiders) don't know this.
They do now
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 PM

In my humble opinion: The Villages is a "gated community"-as evidenced by the gates that are privately controlled across our public roads.
Doubt that? When you push the gate buttons, the person answering the button says, "Welcome to the Villages." Nice advertisement gimmick for The Village developer.
It just seems to me that when a citizen sees something that is so egregiously against public policy(see Florida Statutes, Section 316.0745) then they should speak up. And that goes for something that has "always been that way."
Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
In my humble opinion: The Villages is a "gated community"-as evidenced by the gates that are privately controlled across our public roads.
Doubt that? When you push the gate buttons, the person answering the button says, "Welcome to the Villages." Nice advertisement gimmick for The Village developer.
It just seems to me that when a citizen sees something that is so egregiously against public policy(see Florida Statutes, Section 316.0745) then they should speak up. And that goes for something that has "always been that way."
Of course it would say Welcome to The Villages, that is where you are.

The developer doesn't need any advertising gimmicks or any advertising period. I imagine all of the new lots in the new area will be sold very quickly as that has been what has happened in the last year.

What does it say in Florida Statutes, section 315.9745? I am guessing that the developer who has made wise decisions about everything else had his lawyers thoroughly research the issue of gates and public law.

I think the gates slow down traffic, allowing golf carts to cross and making everyone pause and they probably keep a lot of accidents from happening. I have ALWAYS known it was not a gated community in the strictest sense like Stonecrest is.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
They do now
Thanks so much for answering my questions Trudy. You've
been a tremendous help.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.