Give me some real news!

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimturner View Post
What do you mean The Daily Sun: Conservative political bent?
I don't see that.
I hope you're being sarcastic
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM

You are so right! The paper for Jan.1, 2015, was delivered before midnight on 12/31/14!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahayward65 View Post
I did not say it was worthless, I do like all the Village news and updates but it
also could add current news of the world.

Have a care for all of the people who don't live here. We DO have a decent newspaper with AP wire and other wires too and we get good and up to date information about what is happening of interest throughout the world today.

I care...because it is my town and my town's newspaper, and I am proud of both. Oh heck, PLEASE read my post listing all of the stories of news current and interesting throughout the world that is normal for the paper to print. This is just New Years Day. All papers go over the years events on New Year's Day..
Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimturner View Post
What do you mean The Daily Sun: Conservative political bent?
I don't see that.
Even Ronnie Milsap would see that.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

When I am in The Villages I totally enjoy the Daily Sun, especially its wonderfully rational editorials which one rarely sees in the left wing "mainstream" propaganda newspapers.

I look to The Daily Sun for news within the bubble, mostly about what is happening and find it a refreshing and enjoyable read.

For "outside the bubble" news I read the WSJ and check the internet.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Only An Honest Observation

Wow did you notice that the entire first section was devoted totally to the The Villages Health Care System. Can you imagine how much influence and pull one must have to dominate this paper's entire front section

On the very first page to illustrate TV's power to market they featured some homeowner who explained that in 11 years she moved 4 times and always had golf cart access to health care. Now there are legitimate differences on how one would interpret that information but in the final analysis one will be left with two impressions. Its not unusual to buy more than once in TV and it always works out well. The following sections sports, Local, Lifestyle pretty much reported on various activities and social events here. As to its political bent since the majority of the nation's population is center to right I perceive its political flavor to match the population

Back to my opening statement, I understand it and I have no bias either way but it is very difficult not to notice this big white elephant standing in the middle of the room. This once again is only an honest observation, nothing more
Old 01-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic
I love the Daily Sun, it is much better than my Back home left wing rag- the Milwaukee Journal. I believe it is much like Fox news- when some people see actual Journalism, and not the normal leftist mainstream media junk, they think it is "conservative".the Daily sun is just not leftwing biased... The reality is the Daily sun is great- more positive news, less negative junk, no leftwing bent. I wish I could get it delivered back home, not just when I was in the villages.

Ed
Old 01-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Wow did you notice that the entire first section was devoted totally to the The Villages Health Care System. Can you imagine how much influence and pull one must have to dominate this paper's entire front section

On the very first page to illustrate TV's power to market they featured some homeowner who explained that in 11 years she moved 4 times and always had golf cart access to health care. Now there are legitimate differences on how one would interpret that information but in the final analysis one will be left with two impressions. Its not unusual to buy more than once in TV and it always works out well. The following sections sports, Local, Lifestyle pretty much reported on various activities and social events here. As to its political bent since the majority of the nation's population is center to right I perceive its political flavor to match the population

Back to my opening statement, I understand it and I have no bias either way but it is very difficult not to notice this big white elephant standing in the middle of the room. This once again is only an honest observation, nothing more
I don't view it as having pull. The owner/developer owned businesses and objectives being promoted by the developer owned (used to be but still in the family yet) paper.

Nothing wrong with that as long as one recognizes the pecking order and priorities. A good example is if you know anybody who has a business in TV that competes with one owned by the developer/the family/rlatives/et al.....just ask them if the coverage factor is a level playing field....NOT....and not so subtle about it.....again not negative just a fact of the environment.....good, bad or indifferent.

To me the Daily Sun is sort of like getting a program to a sporting or entertainment event....not meant to be a negative comment.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think that the argument I have with the OP's statement is that The Sun does give us world news. I listed all of the topics covered in an earlier post on this thread.

All newspaper have a political bent in their editorial section and it is obvious who buys the most advertising now that the newspaper is not owned by the developer anymore. The building and all of the equipment is still owned by the developer. I am sure the owner is solidly in the pocket of the Morse family. Nothing wrong with that.

I think it fair to say, that print journalism is hanging on by a thread in the world today. We can get instant news update on Television, on our computer and on our phone. Just as Pooh so clearly said.

BUT....I like a piece of paper in my lap and a nice cup of coffee to begin the day. AND I love The Daily Sun. The Dally Sun's managing editor was Meta Minton for ten years and she retired a little after the Morse's sold the paper. Now she is the owner of the online news. She is a very good writer and an excellent journalist. She brings us ALL the news, not just the news but pictures, mug shots of the perpetrators. It is such a change that some people feel it is too much. Personally, I like it. We have it all here. And this white haired woman loves it.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think that the argument I have with the OP's statement is that The Sun does give us world news. I listed all of the topics covered in an earlier post on this thread.

All newspaper have a political bent in their editorial section and it is obvious who buys the most advertising now that the newspaper is not owned by the developer anymore. The building and all of the equipment is still owned by the developer. I am sure the owner is solidly in the pocket of the Morse family. Nothing wrong with that.

I think it fair to say, that print journalism is hanging on by a thread in the world today. We can get instant news update on Television, on our computer and on our phone. Just as Pooh so clearly said.

BUT....I like a piece of paper in my lap and a nice cup of coffee to begin the day. AND I love The Daily Sun. The Dally Sun's managing editor was Meta Minton for ten years and she retired a little after the Morse's sold the paper. Now she is the owner of the online news. She is a very good writer and an excellent journalist. She brings us ALL the news, not just the news but pictures, mug shots of the perpetrators. It is such a change that some people feel it is too much. Personally, I like it. We have it all here. And this white haired woman loves it.
I love it too!!!

Delivered to your door for only 18 cents per copy. I find it hard to ever beat that kind of deal. Love to read it first thing in the morning, with breakfast.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Platinum member

Time to interject "The Daily Sun is what it is". Among other things, its job is to maintain/increase readership. It is fully aware of this and gives the readers what they want, for the most part.
Years ago I stayed subscribed to The Sun as it had a lot of local info, not necessarily news. I depended on news from my subscription to The Orlando Sentinel. I found myself wading through a lot which really was of little interest to me then noticed the Sun was covering more statewide, national and international news. I dropped the Sentinel. The Sun and the internet (and a cup of coffee) satisfy my need for news.
I recognize it is political, a cheerleader for the Developer and a bit sophomoric. But, like I said, it is what it is. It will do until something better comes along and I am not holding my breathe.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:05 PM

If you think of it as a "news magazine" instead of a traditional newspaper you will appreciate it for what it is. It has a purpose, it knows it's purpose, and it serves a wide audience. The beauty of our country is that we have many venues from which to get our "news" and the more of these we utilize, the better informed we will be, and the happier. As a journalist, I've given up many a holiday to put out a paper. I wish I could have worked for one that went to press early and gave its staff the night off. In a way, that thinking reflects the vibe of TV...relax, take it easy, don't work too hard. Happy New Years everyone! Drink one for me. I have a cold.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Sage

What would anyone expect for about $1 per week delivered to your door ? The NY Times ?
Even the NY Times can no longer afford to be what it once was . Take note of all of the lay-offs in the Writers and Editing departments the Times just handed out prior to Christmas .
The Daily Sun is a very informative communication outlet for those who live here . Also it`s always nice to learn about the many activities and stories of our fellow Villagers .
So here is a " shout-out " to the staff of the Daily Sun . Thanks !
Old 01-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,571 Times in 515 Posts

Blah, blah, blah, blah
Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah
For or against?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.