Glasses ruined in dishwasher

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Default Glasses ruined in dishwasher

ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM ?
our glasses have become cloudy , we have bought new ones and the same thing is happening !!! We use Cascade detergent and a rinse aid . I have tried a vinegar rinse on each glass .
I'm wondering if it could be the water softener ????
Old 06-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Sage

Same problem here...wife switched from Cascade to Finish. Much improved.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:38 PM

I had the same problem. It's the change in detergent ingredients.
I use LemiShine Dishwasher packs and Lemi Shine Detergent Booster. You can get both at Wal-Mart. Even the inside of my dishwasher used to get cloudy and stained and now it is shiny clean, course I had to clean it one last time before starting with Lemi Shine. I have been using over a year and haven't had a problem since. By the way, I used Magic Eraser to get rid of stains and cloudiness before using the new detergent. Hope this helps you.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:39 PM

Had the same problem, switched to Finish Quantum Max, case solved.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:39 PM

It is worth a try , thx for response !!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is the hard highly mineralized water here in TV.
We do not put "good" glasesses in the dishwasher.
The scale build up here is extraordinary.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV0108 View Post
I had the same problem. It's the change in detergent ingredients.
I use LemiShine Dishwasher packs and Lemi Shine Detergent Booster. You can get both at Wal-Mart. Even the inside of my dishwasher used to get cloudy and stained and now it is shiny clean, course I had to clean it one last time before starting with Lemi Shine. I have been using over a year and haven't had a problem since. By the way, I used Magic Eraser to get rid of stains and cloudiness before using the new detergent. Hope this helps you.
I agree. Liquid detergents just aren't working anymore. The formula is changed. The Walmart brand granular detergent works. It was recommended by the salesperson at Home Depot in the appliance section.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Platinum member

Pricey but works! Bubble bandit. Buy it on amazon and ships for free. Should take care of your problem...
Old 06-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage

When I notice this happening to my glasses I know it is time to pour in more Finish Jet Dry.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

I was wondering if the water filtration system that is advertised on this website would help with this issue. We are planning to get a whole house water filtration system installed when we are down next time because I'm concerned about build up and staining in the bathrooms as well (tub/shower and toilets) due to the hardness of the water.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I soak mine glasses in rubbing alcohol. The cloudy film goes away
Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

We thought it was the old dishwasher, we got new one. Figured the old original 12 year old one was ready to go anyway. So far the new one doing lot better job.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Sage

Water softners and dishwashers can result in cloudy glasses. Had that problem for years in CA. I'd just end up buying new glasses. You need much less dishwasher detergent when you have a water softner. The company we had in CA warned us of the problem.

I have a Nova system and don't notice the problem. I use Finish tabs in the dishwasher and there is no way to use less. Might want to try a liquid or powder dishwasher detergent and use less than recommended. New glasses are probably going to be needed....not much can clear the haze on the older ones.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing View Post

ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM ?
our glasses have become cloudy , we have bought new ones and the same thing is happening !!! We use Cascade detergent and a rinse aid . I have tried a vinegar rinse on each glass .
I'm wondering if it could be the water softener ????
Try the additive LEMISHINE. IT IS AVAILABLE AT MOST STORES.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Water softners and dishwashers can result in cloudy glasses. Had that problem for years in CA. I'd just end up buying new glasses. You need much less dishwasher detergent when you have a water softner. The company we had in CA warned us of the problem.

I have a Nova system and don't notice the problem. I use Finish tabs in the dishwasher and there is no way to use less. Might want to try a liquid or powder dishwasher detergent and use less than recommended. New glasses are probably going to be needed....not much can clear the haze on the older ones.
If you have a water softener it can definitely cloud your glasses. I have a water softener in Virginia and my glasses kept getting cloudy. After three sets of glasses, inordinate frustration, and much internet research I had the water guy come out and check the softener settings. A power outage had changed the settings and the softener was using entirely too much salt, thus the clouding of the glasses.

Cloudy glasses are caused by one of two things. Mineral deposits, which can be removed with a vinegar rinse. If you do a vinegar rinse and still see the cloudiness after the glasses dry, you have glazing from the water softener, which can not be removed. Buy a new set of glasses and do this:

1. make sure your softener settings are appropriate for the water hardness in this area, and

2. use far, far, far less dishwasher detergent than you think you need. I am talking like maybe a teaspoon.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Closed Thread

Tags
glasses, rinse, vinegar, water, softener, aid, wondering, glass, happening, problem, ruined, dishwasher, cloudy, bought, cascade, thing, detergent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.