Glasses ruined in dishwasher

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I do not have a problem but in speaking with an employee of the water supply company he suggested Limeshine and not to get an expensive water softener.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

PS -- I tried Lemishine and every other thing anyone anywhere told me might work. None did, because my problem wasn't a mineral build-up, it was a water softener irreparably clouding my glasses.

If you have a water softener, I am willing to bet a donut that the settings on it are your issue.

Krispy Kreme or Dunkin?

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

According to this Univ of S. Florida chart, our water is not hard in Sumter Co

Google Image Result for http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pages/8500/f8510/f8510.jpg

in fact they classify it as soft on this page
Floripedia: Water Hardness
Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Sage

Google Image Result for http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pages/8500/f8510/f8510.jpg

other websites show a higher number.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Sage

other websites show a higher number. Last report from Sumter Water had 149 mg/liter
Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Our results for whatever reason are different then several others. We have a Sears water softener (using salt) and a Sears whole house filter. We have had these for over 18 months, and we wash all of the glasses, including the crystal in the dishwasher, and the results are that the glasses and crystal look as clear as ones that have never been used. We use cascade, and NO rinse aid. We are located in the Village of Pinellas.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Veteran member

We put dishwasher salt in to our dishwasher in England. No cloudy glasses.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:14 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Thank you blueash that was most helpful

Personal Best Regards:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:17 AM

Vinegar. Put some in the bottom of the dishwasher before starting. It removes the clouding from dishes and glassware.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What you posted was "non-carbonate" hardness - that is not the total hardness.

I measured the hardness at 12 gpg (205 ppm) via a titration test. This classifies our water as very hard.

Measurement of water hardness

According to the Water Quality Association...

soft: 0-3.5 grains per gallon (gpg),

moderate: 3.5-7.0 gpg,

hard: 7.0-10.5 gpg, and

very hard: over 10.5 gpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Last edited by tuccillo; 06-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It is more likely that you had some other problems. The downside to more frequent regenerations than required is that you use more salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
If you have a water softener it can definitely cloud your glasses. I have a water softener in Virginia and my glasses kept getting cloudy. After three sets of glasses, inordinate frustration, and much internet research I had the water guy come out and check the softener settings. A power outage had changed the settings and the softener was using entirely too much salt, thus the clouding of the glasses.

Cloudy glasses are caused by one of two things. Mineral deposits, which can be removed with a vinegar rinse. If you do a vinegar rinse and still see the cloudiness after the glasses dry, you have glazing from the water softener, which can not be removed. Buy a new set of glasses and do this:

1. make sure your softener settings are appropriate for the water hardness in this area, and

2. use far, far, far less dishwasher detergent than you think you need. I am talking like maybe a teaspoon.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There are two "issues" with the water in The Villages; it is hard and it has a high level of chlorine. A water softener will remove the calcium and magnesium ions that make the water hard. This will result in less scale build up and allow you to use less detergent. In addition, some people prefer the "feel" of soft water. What you typically see advertised as "filters" are sediment and carbon filters. These will remove the chlorine that give the water a bad taste and smell. You may see "hybrid" water softeners advertised - these are water softeners that also remove chlorine via a redox material and/or carbon. Neither of these "issues" make the water unsafe. You can find the annual water report for The Villages online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I was wondering if the water filtration system that is advertised on this website would help with this issue. We are planning to get a whole house water filtration system installed when we are down next time because I'm concerned about build up and staining in the bathrooms as well (tub/shower and toilets) due to the hardness of the water.

Last edited by tuccillo; 06-10-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Gold member

About 10 yrs ago the Phosphates were removed from Dishwasher detergent. Since then lots of people have complained about their dishwashers not working properly. Even after buying a new dishwasher they find the same results.

It is the detergents formula changes that cause the spotting and cloudiness.

I have used Bubble Bandits from Amazon with good results. It is a commercial dishwasher formula so it still contains Phosphates. Works much better than the regular brands.

At one time I considered making my own dishwasher detergent, the recipes all called for lemon in one form or another. Often lemon koolade powder. So the citric acid in lemon must do the trick too. It sound like the lemon products mentions above work well and can be bought locally.

It is not your dishwasher. It is the change in phospate levels in the detergents that are causing the cloudiness, regardless of the hard or soft water in your home.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We don't have a water softener. We usually use Cascade, but Sweetie bought Finish the last time. We don't do anything else. Our glasses aren't cloudy.

But there is a buildup on the stainless bar in the shower, and I am not sure now to remove it.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing View Post

ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM ?
our glasses have become cloudy , we have bought new ones and the same thing is happening !!! We use Cascade detergent and a rinse aid . I have tried a vinegar rinse on each glass .
I'm wondering if it could be the water softener ????
Many people have issues with newer formulated liquid DW detergents. And not just here in TV. First u need to see if your problem is filming or etching... below is a link to an excellent Clemson paper on this topic. Bottom line switch detergents, use powdered and use less.

Good luck!

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing...WATER/WQL7.pdf
Closed Thread

Tags
glasses, rinse, vinegar, water, softener, aid, wondering, glass, happening, problem, ruined, dishwasher, cloudy, bought, cascade, thing, detergent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.