golf ball vs car

Old 04-21-2024, 08:07 AM

You could square up and hit a ball like you were aiming at Neidermeyer and you wouldn't be liable.

"Now drop and give me 20!!"
Old 04-21-2024, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
if im on a golf course and hit a car with my golf ball , am i liable?? would his car insurance cover any damage. just asking for a friend.....
This happened to my daughter. She lives next to a golf course. The golf course management called a windshield replacement company on the spot, had the job done right there in their parking lot, and nailed the offending foursome when they finished their round. However, that was in Iowa, where people tend to be polite and responsible citizens, unlike some more litigious places.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
So, if your golf ball hits my car and dents it or breaks a window, doing, say, $800 in damage, and my car insurance has a $500 deductible, I’m supposed to cheerfully pay that $500 out of my pocket and have my car insurance rate raised or have the policy even cancelled because you can’t keep your balls where they belong? It seems to me that the golfer should bear moral responsibility, even if not legal responsibility, and cover the cost out of pocket.

Yes, golfers are special.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
You could square up and hit a ball like you were aiming at Neidermeyer and you wouldn't be liable.

"Now drop and give me 20!!"
I use to play with guy that hit 300 yard drive, he would line up 45 degrees from fairway. Hit ball 150 yards to left and 150 yards to right. One time he actually hit ball straight and it when over two fairways.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:27 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV

Was the car in the fairway or on the green?
Old 04-21-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Is collision insurance required in FL? It’s possible the damage will not be covered by insurance. I hate to ask, but am I out of line to say the golfer should repair the damage 100%. I’m not a golfer but I guarantee I would pay any damage I cause. Whether it’s a house window, screen or car.
There are always people who are guided by a moral compass that’s internal. With no one watching their actions, they simply know the right thing to do and they do it!
Old 04-21-2024, 09:50 AM

The car’s insurance will cover after his deductible. Sometimes the course could be held liable. Golfer can always be held liable, even if car driver then has heart attack, that’s why I carry umbrella insurance.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp243 View Post
There are always people who are guided by a moral compass that’s internal. With no one watching their actions, they simply know the right thing to do and they do it!
Or...
“The true test of a mans character is what he does when no one is watching”~John Wooden
Old 04-21-2024, 10:44 AM

In a way the answer is "it depends" -- it depends if the golfer's moral compass takes responsibility for his actions. In a way, it's a true test of character.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,066 Posts

A few years ago I was driving past the Pimlico Recreation Center by that golf course and saw something moving fast at me from the corner of my eye. The ball went under my car and bounced and hit the bottom with a clank. Could see golfers at the nearby hole looking at me but I was worried more about the traffic on Belvedere rear ending me more than any damage to the under carriage of the car so I just kept going. Checked the car after shopping at the Publix but found no leaks.

I still get a little nervous driving past those golf holes.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
if im on a golf course and hit a car with my golf ball , am i liable?? would his car insurance cover any damage. just asking for a friend.....
You (or your friend) knowingly damaged a vehicle with your golf ball. Now you want us to give you some sort of cover thru our opinions?!?!?!?
Let's say you were 12 years old playing baseball and broke the neighbor lady's window......what would your parents tell you????

My advice....do the right thing
Old 04-21-2024, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire View Post
Exactly. It would be the same as driving down the road and the vehicle in front flicks up a piece of gravel that breaks your windshield, there is no liability. If that vehicle is a gravel truck which failed to secure the load (due care) then a claim may be justified.

The car owner could sue the golf course if they were negligent in design but the golfer would not be liable.
Not the same as a vehicle throwing up a rock. More like, a guy out shooting in a field intentionally put a golf ball. (I mean bullet) in the gun. Then intentionally swung the club to hit the ball (I mean pulled the trigger to discharge the bullet). The golfer failed to hit the ball as intended, the ball hit an incentive car. (I mean the shooter failed to aim or handel his gun in a safe way and he unintentionally shot a child playing nearby.
Yeah! I see your point. No need to accept responsibility for damage or death caused out of stupidity or lack of ability. It's God's will. It must be. 😏😒
Old 04-21-2024, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yes, golfers are special.
Psst! They're not really special. They only THINK they are.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:17 PM

It certainly wasn't intentional. Hell, if we could hit the ball where we want to all the time we'd get invited to Augusta every April.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,288 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Not the same as a vehicle throwing up a rock. More like, a guy out shooting in a field intentionally put a golf ball. (I mean bullet) in the gun. Then intentionally swung the club to hit the ball (I mean pulled the trigger to discharge the bullet). The golfer failed to hit the ball as intended, the ball hit an incentive car. (I mean the shooter failed to aim or handel his gun in a safe way and he unintentionally shot a child playing nearby.
Yeah! I see your point. No need to accept responsibility for damage or death caused out of stupidity or lack of ability. It's God's will. It must be. 😏😒
Again with the "reductio absurdum fallacy"...

Are they having a BOGO special on them @ Publix this week?

-Tom Petty

Tags
golf, car, ball, friend, damage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.