Golf cart accident

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Would really like to know why we need to know??

Perhaps the education of the fact that there are indeed golf cart accidents and in some instances they are serious might help prevent some accidents?

Case in point: Recently one of my neighbors had a minor accident when he was driving with one hand while drinking coffee. Couple of days ago I saw a gentleman maybe 70 or so doing the exact same thing but he had two young boys with him in the cart. If my neighbor could flip his cart making a turn then what might have happened to this other cart with the kids in it? And would some possibly think twice about doing that if they had read that someone else had encountered an unfortunate event?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Almost

Wife and I saw an ALMOST the other day A truck leaves a stop sign the GC on the road slams on his brakes because he feared an accident. He skids a good 15' then yells at the truck driver. Maybe he shouldn't have been going the 25 mph he was before the almost and obviously didn't learn because he was doing it again after the almost. PS before you ask I was in a car!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Incomplete information is worse than none at all. I would have thought knowing if more than one cart was involved, if they made contact, if one or both failed to abide by the rules of the raod would be instrutive to other drivers and the cause (speed, poor lighting in tunnel, cart defective, driver error, etc)

Compiling stats can be very useful provided they are compiled properly.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Would really like to know why we need to know??
Wow Bogie, you're a tough one. If this was a restaurant complaint your stock reply would be "did you notify the manager". Now a subject that directly effects the majority of the residents directly or indirectly and your response is "why do we need to know". I would think this subject is a little more important then a complaint about hair in the potato salad....IMHO, just saying.
Skip 2
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Right on!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
Wow Bogie, you're a tough one. If this was a restaurant complaint your stock reply would be "did you notify the manager". Now a subject that directly effects the majority of the residents directly or indirectly and your response is "why do we need to know". I would think this subject is a little more important then a complaint about hair in the potato salad....IMHO, just saying.
Skip 2
But, we did find out why............didn't we.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

Somebody is going to get killed out there and we need to know how to reduce our risk. The tunnels are out of control with people speeding into them and having to swerve into the other lane (MINE!). I have seen numerous examples that if I wasn't driving defensively I would been clobbered.

Now WHERE are the instances of highest risk? Tunnels? LSL causeway bridge? Folks taking their half outta the middle coming around a curve facing a head on collision? Not yielding to cars? Drunken idiots? Kids?

Where can we adress the real issues. Studying the problem is the first step to education and resolution. LET'S DO THIS! Thanks POA for taking the lead...

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Actually, the current POA newsletter does a pretty good job of explaining their logic. By compiling and reporting statistics it will educate and inform the residents on the frequency of incidents and location of danger spots. Also, more exposure will just generally heighten awareness that these are powerful vehicles and not toys.

I'm one of those who used to despise the POA newsletters, but, I gotta give them credit now. They address a wide range of controversial issues in a thorough and fair manner. These are topics that the Developer/Sun shy away from as they might be perceived as negatives to prospective homebuyers.

As with all information sources.... TOTV, POA, Daily Sun, Television News....it's up to each of us to decide what we choose to read and what we elect to ignore. Sounds to me like there is a fair amount of interest in this subject.
You nailed it!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Gold member

I do not think they will ever publish where all accidents take place.Just assume that all tunnels,bridges etc are hazards. Drive defensive and you will not have any problems.To me its a very safe place to drive a golf cart.I feel lot safer driving a golf cart here that my auto,thats where you have to pay attention. Golf cart driving not as bad as some people on this site say it is.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Platinum member

I think they should report ALL golf cart/bicycle/walker incidents in the newspaper....after all,it IS a hometown newspaper, and perhaps it would make all of us be more considerate if we realized how many accidents there really are.

JMO
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Sage

I agree with others that reporting the cause and nature of the accident would be appropriate.

I hope the person who was hospitalized was not seriously injured.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Sage

Use some common sense when driving your golf cart. Mine is tuned to 19.5 mph and is constantly being passed by others while on the streets. That means they are speeding.

Use your GPS to check the speed of your cart if you do not have a speedometer. If it goes more than 20 mph, get it adjusted downward to just under 20 mph. I understand the tickets on the streets for carts going over 20 is mighty steep as they get you not only for speeding but for a vehicle without lots of necessary equipment (not a technical term). I have heard fines of over $250.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
I think they should report ALL golf cart/bicycle/walker incidents in the newspaper....after all,it IS a hometown newspaper, and perhaps it would make all of us be more considerate if we realized how many accidents there really are.

JMO
Am I to believe that all accidents are reported where you live and where you moved from? The area in Illinois we lived in certainly did not report every accident in the paper. Once a year they may have reported the more dangerous areas and/or intersections with the most accidents and the cause but certainly not every one as they happened.

Even if they were reported do you think it would change the driving habits of those that are dangerous and reckless?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Use some common sense when driving your golf cart. Mine is tuned to 19.5 mph and is constantly being passed by others while on the streets. That means they are speeding.

Use your GPS to check the speed of your cart if you do not have a speedometer. If it goes more than 20 mph, get it adjusted downward to just under 20 mph. I understand the tickets on the streets for carts going over 20 is mighty steep as they get you not only for speeding but for a vehicle without lots of necessary equipment (not a technical term). I have heard fines of over $250.

A cart going slightly over 19.5 mph gets a big fine while a car going a few miles over 20 mph usually gets a pass.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Does it make a difference....one cart or two?
It would only matter insofar as it adds up to an explanation of what happened or what caused the accident. In my opinion, if there are too many specifics lacking, it ceases to be a story. If the specifics are none of our business, then perhaps they have no-business wasting the readers time.

To those who say we're never satisfied: It's not our job to know how to run a good newspaper. We rely on the editor to use good judgement. If there are not enough facts to make it a story, maybe it shouldn't be printed. And, in some cases, maybe they could try to get more information. It might just take a phone call.

To help prevent future accidents, it helps to know what causes accidents. Suppose the accident involved a low-speed vehicle trying to drive through the tunnel at an unsafe speed? From what I understand, they are allowed to use the multi modal trails as long as they obey the speed limit. But I have seen them zipping along at a much higher rate of speed than what is allowed. Some might think, "so what," they got what they deserved, but there could have been someone walking or riding their bike in that tunnel.

Another consideration: Careless driving, like careless eating habits, is what drives up Medicare premiums and car insurance premiums too.

Many thanks for all the good replies on this thread. You-all have a nice day now.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.