Golf Cart Close Calls all in one week

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochellepfaff View Post
Not true that The Villages allows anyone to drive a golf cart. All drivers must be at least 14 years old. It's the law. The Villages reminds us of that frequently in the paper, and in The Villages New.net. And all of the rental places know that. Anyone who allows a child younger that 14 is legally liable for any damages or injuries the young driver causes.
How is this enforced?
Old 06-04-2021, 10:43 AM

Please try not to get into a 'twist' over this. I'm not proposing anything here. It's just my experience with golf cart usage on public roads outside of TV.

All golf carts must have proof of insurance and then be registered. The registration includes a form of proof of registration and date stickers to be displayed on both the front and back of the cart.

Each cart also displays the owner's address displayed on the back. Something like your home number on your Villages ID card. OMG, folks would know where you live...

You must have a valid driver's license to operate. If stopped for a violation and you don't have a license and proof of insurance... well, same as if you are driving your vehicle in the Villages.

I'm not proposing all of this. It's just my experience. But having a valid driver's license seems extremely practical to me. Or, some other form of identification if you don't or can't drive.

I know the sheriff up here personally. They are very accommodating and kind to folks. You would likely just get warnings.

Ok, I guess I proposed a valid license or ID though...
Old 06-04-2021, 10:54 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiserj View Post
Last week we had several close calls...
First, coming out of a tunnel and coming up around a curve, a cart loaded with 4 , with a young driver, came over the center and just missed us. There was heavy traffic and I had my own visitors in my cart or I might of turned around and tried to find them.
Second, a truck almost ran into our cart in the Brownwood parking lot heading to the the bridge. Had I not screamed, I think we would of been T-boned. He was sitting at a stop and just pulled out.
In addition, we were headed down to the lowlands when a cart came by, headed to Brownwood, and a child (maybe around 10) was driving with a sr (maybe a grandfather?) in the passenger seat 😡 This deeply upsets me. I want more awareness and personal responsibility for cart driving but not sure how. Ideas? Note- the golf cart stores don’t even rent carts to anyone under 25, I was told.
Avoid driving your cart around holidays when kids are likely to be visiting. Turn on your cart lights to be more visible. Use your horn proactively to alert other vehicles.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07 AM

Villages refers to them as golf cars.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
Seems one would need a drivers license. If 10 y/o causes an accident, I guarantee Grandpa would never allow a child to drive his golf cart again… IF he had any money left to buy a golf cart AND found someone to insure him!
There is a big difference between reality and should be. Insurance, liability only matters if you have something to take. Years ago I spoke to a friend actually he is a good driver, he has a home, four kids and a huge boat. I asked him what he carries for auto insurance.
His reply sort of shocked me. He has the minimum insurance to get plates on his car.
Reason in his own words, he owes more on his house than it is worth and more on his boat than it is worth. There is nothing worth taking.

An attorney will not handle the case if there is nothing to take. Florida real estate is weird
they will not take your home.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
How is this enforced?
Much law is not enforced. The question is do we want it enforced? People actually stopping for a stop sign? Turn signals? Proper speed? For that matter a cop, yes, your honor he was driving a red Yamaha doing 22 mph. How did you determine the speed?
What proof do you have it was him or her or that is his golf cart? Well you honor I cuffed him and we kept him in jail for 3 days due to the holiday week end.

Then there was a caning, public whipping for stealing a poster.

Nothing is perfect. Beware of what you want. If, you get what you want will you still want it?

Self responsibility? You only need to read the posts.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:16 PM

Who says they allow young drivers.?
Old 06-04-2021, 10:24 PM

I would hope that a 16 or 17 year old with a driver's license is more capable than a 12 or 14 year old with little or no experience.

Of course your kids and mileage may vary.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Are you from Old Saybrook?
i love old saybrook, & the rte 1 drive.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
How is this enforced?
It is a STATE LAW. It can be enforced. There are not too many lawbreakers around here. BUT..............

More than two dozen people have been killed in Golf Cart accidents in The Villages over the past two dozen years.

Seat belts help keep you safe but be careful and everyone slow down and quit acting like Barney Oatfield. There is no side to our carts and the lid isn't going to help much in a roll over.

Most people have good sense. If we get into the license stuff and the policing the paths than payment for those services ultimately come out of all of our pockets. And I will stop there.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:37 PM

Just like anywhere in the USA it is YOUR responsibility to keep yourself and your love ones safe. ALWAYS drive defensively, anticipate the unexpected. God be with you.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:10 PM
Veteran member

In April I saw a driver (car) change lanes and cutting cars off within a roundabout. I was behind the car and watched as they weaved (within their lane) and change lanes often without looking, coming close to catastrophe. When the lady stopped at the store and got out, she was 4’11” about 80 lbs (in other words she looked frail) and at least 120 years old. Till this day I feel I should have called 911 when I was driving behind her witnessing this mess. I fear she will hurt herself or an innocent victim. I didn’t call anyone because the ‘mind your own business' NYer in me comes to the surface sometimes. When you’re raised in a culture of ‘snitches get stitches’ it’s difficult to change. How do you deal with an obviously poor driver?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Years ago I interviewed a young lady for a position at my firm. She had a huge prominent scar at the base of her throat. She brought it up, not me, that she had been in a horrific accident, her car being hit by a car driven by an older individual who should not have been driving anymore. It nearly killed her. She told me she reported such drivers to the police whenever she spotted one who might be a problem. She had turned in a few who lost their licenses as a result. She no doubt saved some lives.

After my mother had some mini-strokes she wanted to keep driving. I took her out on a road test and it was apparent she should no longer drive. My statement to her came like a bolt of lightning out of the blue, "Mom, how would you feel if you hit a child?". That convinced her to give up her car keys.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-05-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
How do you deal with an obviously poor driver?
I think you already know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Till this day I feel I should have called 911
You should have called 911. While you were waiting for them to arrive, you should have prevented her from getting back into her car. A security person at the store could have helped you.

Would I do that myself? I doubt it.

But now that I have posted my response to your question, I will think about it, and I will see what I have the ambition to do when I see a driver like her.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, headed, driving, golf, brownwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.