Golf Cart Gas

Old 01-29-2024, 09:36 PM

I bought my 2016 Yamaha cart new from The Villages Golf Cars. The gas tank has an E10 sticker and the salesman said it’s not a problem to use E10 gas. Been using for 5+ years without any problems.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
The gas at the Golf Store is non-ethanol; it is just gasoline. Several service stations in the area carry Non-Ethanol gasoline also. Some people will say we can use regular gasoline with alcohol like we put in our autos. Others will say it best to follow the advice to use Non-ethanol gas.
You can used regular gas that is sold at gas stations. Only reason, I would consider their gas is if they are very close and convenient. Their fuel costs more and they do make a lot of money selling non ethanol gas. Have had a 2020 cart for 42 months, 400 hours on the engine and use only 87 octane gas.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Use recreational gas only which is sold at several but not all gas stations.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlsvilla View Post
Hello ..I'm here visiting my parents. They recently bought a gas golf cart. That salesman told them it's best to get gas at the Villages Golf Cart store because it's pure ethanol and no additives. Is this true? Can they use regular gas from any station? Is premium gas better? Thanks, Perl
if they are FT here then it doesn't matter. VGC will cost more. I used 89 octane and the cart runs far better on that. The only time ethanol matter is if it sits for extended periods of time.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

depends if the cart is sitting for months not being used. If it is being used regularly, regular gas is fine ( and occasionally premium).
Old 01-30-2024, 06:45 AM

It probably comes down to how often the cart will be used. If your parents are full timers at TV, and will use their cart on a regular basis, then it will not matter what you use. However, if part timers on TV, listen to what others are saying.

Learn from other's experiences.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlsvilla View Post
Hello ..I'm here visiting my parents. They recently bought a gas golf cart. That salesman told them it's best to get gas at the Villages Golf Cart store because it's pure ethanol and no additives. Is this true? Can they use regular gas from any station? Is premium gas better? Thanks, Perl
I am sure you miss heard him because it is pure gas no ethanol. If you drive regularly it doesn’t matter but ethanol picks up 30% water so 10% gas that you get at the pump could be 3% water.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:45 AM
Gold member

For those who have posted 'regular gas, long time use, no problems'. Did you use a stabilizer?
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2024, 07:53 AM

If the owner's manual says E10, then that's what I'll use......I may not have gotten an A in Chemistry, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

The Villages Golf Cart store "recommends" that you buy their ethanol free gas at their store BECAUSE THEY CHARGE MORE THAN 50 CENTS A GALLON MORE THAN the same gas that you can buy at WAWA.
If you live in Spanish Springs or on the Historical side, it's much easier and less expensive to go to WAWA on 27/441 by using the golf cart path over to WAWA.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:56 AM

My Yamaha 2017 gas cart now has 28,000 miles. I have always used regular gas.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
For those who have posted 'regular gas, long time use, no problems'. Did you use a stabilizer?
Thanks!
I never have.

To be fair, I don't recall if I ever had a tank of gas sitting for three or more months. I might have considered stabilizer if I was going to do that.

Or, if I couldn't run the tank empty (easy with small engines, harder with a 5 gal golf cart) then I might fill the tank completely. This would minimize the amount of air in the tank and therefore the amount of moisture that would be present to be absorbed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-30-2024, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Thanks!
Quoted from Google
“The blue has additives in it to help with the adverse effects of ethanol, water in fuel, yada yada. The plain original red is just to "stabil"ize the fuel, no ethanol additives”
Old 01-30-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I'd be careful saying all power equipment. Some people include small engine stuff like lawnmowers, weed wackers, and chain saws as "power equipment". Those should not have ethanol. But I only got a C+ in organic chemistry so who knows.
"All" is accurate.

At our home in indiana I have a gas powered chain saw, weed eater, leaf blower, zero turn Scag mower, Honda power washer, 2022 Polaris General SxS, and a 2023 Husky 125 mx bike. All are run on regular gas with no issues. All of these will sit unused for 6 months while we're here. No problems.

Btw, you can't buy non ethanol gas everywhere. They would never require it. And even if they did it would say so in the owners manual.

So please stop and lets put this urban legend to rest. NE gas is a gimmick, plain and simple. Ask any reputable power equipment dealer. As I said my stuff sits for months with no issues. Both my SxS and mx bike have very complex fuel injection systems.

Last edited by MX rider; 01-30-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
if they are FT here then it doesn't matter. VGC will cost more. I used 89 octane and the cart runs far better on that. The only time ethanol matter is if it sits for extended periods of time.
Yamaha recommends using 87 Octane. These golf cart engines are a low compression motor. If you run high octane in a low compression engine the combustion chamber can develop a carbon build up, unburned fuel. This happens over long term so you will probably not notice lower engine performance right away, but it will happen. If you are determined to use high octane, then run Techron which you can buy at any auto store. Techron will break up the carbon build up.

Tags
gas, golf, cart, pure, ethanol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.