Golf Cart Gasoline Leak

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Platinum member
Default Golf Cart Gasoline Leak

My neighbor/friend awoke at 1:00 AM yesterday to the smell of gasoline fumes. He found gas leaking from his 2 year old Yamaha. Dealer said it was caused by ethanol in the gas which caused some part (float valve?) to malfunction (not covered under warranty). All of his gas purchases were at a Shell station on 466.

It seems ethanol is causing a lot of grief, real and imagined.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Sage

Ethanol's not good stuff for some plastic and rubber fuel system parts. I wonder if it ate into the carb float or if it just caused the float to hang up? I'd think most gasoline powered items manufactured that recently would have the parts built to be more ethanol-resistant. Maybe not!

Bill
Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

Probably the needle valve either worn or sticking. Not an expensive repair.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
My neighbor/friend awoke at 1:00 AM yesterday to the smell of gasoline fumes. He found gas leaking from his 2 year old Yamaha. Dealer said it was caused by ethanol in the gas which caused some part (float valve?) to malfunction (not covered under warranty). All of his gas purchases were at a Shell station on 466.

It seems ethanol is causing a lot of grief, real and imagined.
hmmm only 2 years old and virtually all gas in the US has ethanol in it to stretch it. Well I'd either say that the designer of the fuel system is an idiot or more likely the dealer is full of fecal matter!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

I also seriously doubt that ethanol caused the problem with the 2-year old cart. But ethanol does have a long term negative effect on small gas engines. When I read about that a few years ago I started using premium fuel in my Club car. The price difference for a golf cart is negligible, but I have noticed consistently better performance. No more occasional backfires, hesitation, etc. I change the filters and spark plug regularly but notice no real difference before or after a tuneup.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
I also seriously doubt that ethanol caused the problem with the 2-year old cart. But ethanol does have a long term negative effect on small gas engines. When I read about that a few years ago I started using premium fuel in my Club car. The price difference for a golf cart is negligible, but I have noticed consistently better performance. No more occasional backfires, hesitation, etc. I change the filters and spark plug regularly but notice no real difference before or after a tuneup.
well taken, for a few cents more go premium!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran member

I believe premium gas also includes up to 10% ethanol...it has a higher octane rating (and price) but the negative aspects of ethanol are still there.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Default golf cart gasoline leak

Ask any GOOD mechanic, they will tell U to use MARINE STABIL in your ethanol gas to prevent carb & inner hose damage. A big bottle costs $10.00 @ Wally - World & treats up to 80 gal. of gas. It also cleans the carb for BETTER PERFORMANCE!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post
Ask any GOOD mechanic, they will tell U to use MARINE STABIL in your ethanol gas to prevent carb & inner hose damage. A big bottle costs $10.00 @ Wally - World & treats up to 80 gal. of gas. It also cleans the carb for BETTER PERFORMANCE!
Been using it since day one on our Yamaha. Hope it works
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Default Your leak

It is usually the piscus that gets caught up in the modat. This in turn causes the frimmframm to swell and deflate causing a unexorable leak through the thigamajig. While not an alarm for danger in and of itself, it can cause a usurption in the rodecki. Usually a mechanic can fix it for a few bucks or try to sell you a new golf cart. No need to thank me.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
It is usually the piscus that gets caught up in the modat. This in turn causes the frimmframm to swell and deflate causing a unexorable leak through the thigamajig. While not an alarm for danger in and of itself, it can cause a usurption in the rodecki. Usually a mechanic can fix it for a few bucks or try to sell you a new golf cart. No need to thank me.
In my NOT so humble opinion .......... thar bees big problums wit duh GIZINDA's and GOZONDA's.

YA no how dem tings werk......Dis wun GIZINDA that wun......AND.....Dat dare wun GOZONDA duh itty-bitty wun on duh udder side.

.......Whazza matta izz, iffen wee firgits tuh plum um up goot, Den dare bees trubble.
Haid problums sucha dat evir sins me bin puttin' KNUTE VALVES in dem thar Cushman Scooters.
..... I am sorry for the problem caused with the leaking fuel...Thankfully no one was was hurt..... or worse.

Last edited by mrfixit; 01-12-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: tmi
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Gold member
Default That said, It's not going away!

Gates corporation has just announced a entire new line of ethanol proof gasoiline hose. And yes the float needle can stick and flood a carb,

All classic car owners or anyone with a mower chain saw or weed eater that parks it in your garage should be aware that ethanol will eat the hoses from the inside out, Peroid end of discussion. And nooooooooooooooo all the Stable in the world is not going to stop this.

So why do your think Yamaha has just announced the new fuel injected system for its faithful gas cart engine?

Simple. Emissions 1. Fuel economy 2. and Gas tanks and fuel hoses and injectors and fule pumps that are ethanol resistant 3.

Ethanol is not going away. To avoid damage to your carb you can treat your fuel with Amsoil Quick Shot or another fine product K 100. Change out your fuel lines to the new style if an older cart or next time consider electric.

FYI all-
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Gold member
Default Preminum

Preminum has less British Therman Units of heat energy, Regular has the highest next to Diesel for a fuel.

The cart was designed to run on regular. Using high test is a waste of money. It's your wallet making you feel better. Or your druggin the preminum with addative that makes it work! That I cannot answer.

Aghhhhhhhh the smell of over dossed Carts running on Stabil! Makes the tunnels so plesant to drive through. NOT!

Wait till gas hit 4:25 again. Them preminum tanks will be sooooo full of ethanol because no one will pump it. It accumulates.

Thats why you buy at a high volumn station. How do I know its my busines to test it report it and work with Fuels.

Save your money, Use regular and a good fuel treatment once every 5 or 6 gallons if your running every day. The fuel treatments with regular will give you a better bang for the buck than preminum by itself.

We recently proved this. Preminum fuel was so degraded that BMW's were haveing acceleration problems. The preminum tanks had what we call wet Gas! That means it is so saturated with water absorbed by the ethanol that it cannot burn.

I also have had this problem with Harley Davidson that require preminum fuel.

Last good fuel produced was in 1966. Remember those years!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post

Never miss a fillup without a small bit of Stabil......Dealer reccomended

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 AM

I totally do not believe that the leak was caused by the fuel. However you can believe what ever you like.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.