Golf Cart Insurance for Landlords Update?

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!
Default Golf Cart Insurance for Landlords Update?

I'm posting this for friends who own a CYV which they rent out for most of the year. Are there any updates about landlords insuring their golf carts for their renters? They have always included the golf cart in their rental, but now as they sign up renters for next year and beyond they are concerned about their coverage (I think they have Allstate presently). I've read last fall's thread, does anyone have any updates on coverage?
As always, thanks in advance!
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Sage

Just make a phone call to The Villages Insurance. They are brokers for all major companies and would be able to give you the most recent information regarding golf cart insurance for your friend's renters.

Just imagine the terrible possibility of losing everything you have worked for if renters had a bad cart accident and you, as the landlord, were held responsible and it was not covered by insurance.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Update from our insurance not covered even if my parents are the renters
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Eternal Member

I have rented the past three years and always had a cart. I called my own insurance company to see if I was covered and they said yes. Each time I rented I had to sign a release and that I was responsible for any and all damages. I have never had a problem with the agreement.

After reading comments about insurance coverage I again called my agent last week and they again said that I would be covered either with my auto policy or homeowners policy depending where any accidents take place (cart path or roadway).

VG
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Sounds like you are the renter...the issue here is would the person renting the property (with a golf cart) be covered.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM

I never rented my cart with house.To much risk.Just lower your rent a few hundred a month and have no worries
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

I would get that in writing Virtual Geezer.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,311 Times in 824 Posts

Sounds like the Villages Cart rentals will need to triple inventory. I feel safer now. 3X the amount of white numbered elephants going 12mph. Who is insuring them? Won't they be the same people the insurance companies are rejecting?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Default Golf cart insurance for Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
I'm posting this for friends who own a CYV which they rent out for most of the year. Are there any updates about landlords insuring their golf carts for their renters? They have always included the golf cart in their rental, but now as they sign up renters for next year and beyond they are concerned about their coverage (I think they have Allstate presently). I've read last fall's thread, does anyone have any updates on coverage?
As always, thanks in advance!
I've been advised by my insurance provider that all existing golf cart insurance policies for renters are grandfathered in; however, no new golf cart policies will be issued. Wish I had better news for you! It is a problem.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
I have rented the past three years and always had a cart. I called my own insurance company to see if I was covered and they said yes. Each time I rented I had to sign a release and that I was responsible for any and all damages. I have never had a problem with the agreement.

After reading comments about insurance coverage I again called my agent last week and they again said that I would be covered either with my auto policy or homeowners policy depending where any accidents take place (cart path or roadway).

VG
I had this same coversation with our agent yesterday and came away with the same information. He emailed us a recap of what we discussed, said he'd keep a copy, and advised us to do the same. Our coverage would be under our homeowners liability and bodily injury provisons.

We are considering renting sometime this fall and thought we'd ask the question of golf cart coverage.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

As I understand it, the owner's policy covers the owner(s) and anyone they give permission to (not written in a lease) but the issue for me really is what to do about someone that may be hit by a renter, who may sue the renter and us the owners. The renter may have insurance but we would not be protected from the third party. We have decided to try not to rent this year and see if we can get by. If not, then we will have to rent our CYV without the cart.

LW888
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Gold member

When I called The Villages Property Management to get some information on their rentals, they said something to the effect that they no longer rent properties with carts included. Obviously the other rental sites have home w/carts.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
When I called The Villages Property Management to get some information on their rentals, they said something to the effect that they no longer rent properties with carts included. Obviously the other rental sites have home w/carts.
The Villages Property Management has not had any listings that included a golf since at least 2008 when I rented a place through them. In 2008 Property Management (at least their rental division) was still owned by the developer.

VG
Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Eternal Member

The whole insurance issue brings up and interesting question and that is what are all the property owners doing with their carts if they are not including them with their property rental?

VG
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
The whole insurance issue brings up and interesting question and that is what are all the property owners doing with their carts if they are not including them with their property rental?

VG
Put up front in garage ,As said before if someone gets hurt bad you better have a lot of Ins. and if cart has been altered for speed look out your ins.may not cover.People get waivers signed for different things that's not full proof.Attorney told me don,t rent cart at all.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.