Golf Cart Issue

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2021, 10:07 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
So, we got "caught up" in the lifestyle of The Villages when we purchased. In Oct. we drove by, Carts4Less on Hwy441/27 to look at used carts lined up. Saw a 2000 Yamaha, 4 seater and purchased from Larry Spayth. From the beginning the cart has had issues. Spouse is mechanic so was able to do some work. Also took it to a person in the Villages that works on them with no luck - so went back after 3 days and asked Larry to take back the cart we paid $4,000 for!! Yes, overpriced but we didn't know, we were basically just taken. Paid cash and Larry delivered the next day (now we know why he was so anxious to get the cart to us). After having to put new tires (Larry gave us 2), new battery, belts, it has an oil leak. The seal needs to be replaced. The Villages Cart shop cannot work on carts this old! Larry says there is nothing wrong with cart! Oil on cardboard in garage! Have to put oil in it after traveling. QUESTION: We need to get the cart back home to NYS. We think it might fit in our pick up truck to get it back home. Anyone have this experience? Does any one know where we can rent a trailer one-way. Local Uhaul does not answer phone. I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's Office and reported Mr Spayth. He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about and it is now obvious that the previous owner turned it in due to issues. He should of taken it back and I continue to pursue FLorida administration about this. Again, no paperwork, cash deal, he/we paid no taxes on the cart. So -anyone experience putting golf cart on F-150 6 ft. box pick up truck. Does anyone know where we could rent a trailer to get it home? Yes, we are driving from NY capitol to Florida just to get this cart and rebuild the engine as we were stupid enough to pay $4,000 for a 2000 4-seater cart -- and Larry knew this! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Nancy
Salesmen (especially ones that sell vehicles) are NOT nice guys. Trust me, I was one for a short time. They will smile and pat you on the back while sticking the knife in at the same time. Never buy anything without pricing the current market and never buy on the first day of shopping.

I am from PA and can tell you that FL prices for golf carts are ridiculously high in comparison. You could have bought one for "peanuts" in NY.

Unless you are a golfer, you don't need a golf cart in The Villages. Riding around smiling like a little kid on their first pedal car is one of the stupidest things I have seen. Worse yet are the imbeciles who have invested more money than would buy a new car, with their silly golf cart conversion kits, sound systems, AC units, etc. I would be embarassed to be seen in one.

Sell your cart for whatever you can get for it. Then buy a nice convertible in a full size car or better yet, get a soft top Jeep Wrangler to really enjoy the nice weather on the road like a grownup!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Salesmen (especially ones that sell vehicles) are NOT nice guys. Trust me, I was one for a short time. They will smile and pat you on the back while sticking the knife in at the same time. Never buy anything without pricing the current market and never buy on the first day of shopping.

I am from PA and can tell you that FL prices for golf carts are ridiculously high in comparison. You could have bought one for "peanuts" in NY.

Unless you are a golfer, you don't need a golf cart in The Villages. Riding around smiling like a little kid on their first pedal car is one of the stupidest things I have seen. Worse yet are the imbeciles who have invested more money than would buy a new car, with their silly golf cart conversion kits, sound systems, AC units, etc. I would be embarassed to be seen in one.

Sell your cart for whatever you can get for it. Then buy a nice convertible in a full size car or better yet, get a soft top Jeep Wrangler to really enjoy the nice weather on the road like a grownup!
I find it much more convenient to use my golf cart, most of the time. I don't have to worry about being stuck at ANY traffic lights on 441, because I just go over the golf cart bridge, and boom - I'm right there in Spanish Springs. No traffic lights at all. And if I want to go to Walmart, I don't have to deal with the 5 SETS of lights to get there by car...

and then the TWO left-turns I have to wait for (sometimes having to wait 2 or even 3 cycles of the lights if the sensor doesn't see my car there and another one doesn't show up behind me for awhile).

I go the back route, ZERO lights, ZERO traffic.

I can get all my groceries into my cart, and I get around 40mpg. I need to fill my cart up with gas once a month, using it almost every day.

It actually takes me longer to get to Publix by car than it does by golf cart.

I don't golf. I think it's pretty silly that some people insist on driving a car only 5 blocks away from home.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post

I’m guessing you don’t own custom street rod cart for 20K plus?
Old 01-27-2021, 04:04 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

"He is a nice enough guy, but sold us a cart that he really knew nothing about"

That is B.S. As a former car salesman at a huge dealership up north, we knew of every problem on our used vehicles, even those that just came in. Did we tell the customers any of that? No way! Somehow amnesia set in when talking to a customer & we just could not remember any previous problems. The guys I worked with would rip off their own mothers (seriously) to make an extra dollar! I didn't have the killer instinct they had so I didn't last 6 months (and glad to be out of it).
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, larry, back, paid, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.